Goodbye American Chopper. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Don't think we will ever see real hands on custom built cars.. Let people see how things are really done... All the little hands on secret's to a true custom build..NO DRAMA !!!!!

But we know they can't (or won't) do it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

I think some of them custom Interior shop's would do some good show's.. I like watching Gabe when he does some of his work.. Just slow it down a little and show people how they do thing's..I don't think they would do a show on gabe because he's a family man with no DRAMA..
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Thing is, a good quality car show that deals with the tech side of things would not get watched....OK, maybe by the real gearheads.....But those numbers wont pay the bills......So, what you get instead are drama shows or ones that are just pushing a product......
Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

I understand the show's need their sponsor's But they over do it sometimes with there product's..
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

You have to remember the average joe wont know why or care about why it takes x hours to properly fit Fiberglass bodies on after market frames or why block sanding is still so important or why adv or retard cam timing changes where and how the car makes power. if every knew how to weld id have another job, we are the minority as far as television viewers that's why we have this junk to watch but for some one who has never turned a wrench they feel like a bike builder in a novels for 30 mins
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

A whole lot of why less knowledgeable people don't know stuff is they watch this crap and think they're learning how to do it right. Much of it doesn't get shown, and some of it is just bolting on parts, or doing it the wrong way.
If the producers are not car saavy, then they also wont care about learning, they care about numbers. They want to film as much as possible in as little time as they can, and good work takes too long for a film crew to stick around. A few good arguments, a fire, and some botched mess takes way less time and gets more viewers.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Yeah....but Survivor, the Bachelor and Big Brother are real........
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Trust me... I truely understand why they do what they do.. And it will never change..Sad but true..
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
EXACTLY.

I was into COUNTING CARS for awhile.
It's funny how Danny runs-down people in the street and asks them if they would consider selling their ride. Some people are kinda nervous about that, which is understandable. Maybe they think he wants to rob them.
Danny sure does have a huge car collection.
I heard his full name is Danny Coker. Is he related to those Coker Tire clowns? ( That would explain where he gets the money to buy all his cars and bikes he has )
WRONG Coker,,, Dannys last name is Koker, ( No relation to The Cokers of Corky fame) who owns several sucessful business's in Vegas
A resturant /bar, the custom car place which was his first venture into business,,also a tatoo parlor,

Las Vegas' entrepreneurial Danny Koker still going strong - View - ReviewJournal.com
Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
WRONG Coker,,, Dannys last name is Koker, ( No relation to The Cokers of Corky fame) who owns several sucessful business's in Vegas
A resturant /bar, the custom car place which was his first venture into business,,also a tatoo parlor
Ah, very good. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

I agree with everyone who said these shows don't really illustrate what it takes to build stuff.
The people who build stuff know how much time it takes to measure, weld, grind, check, recheck, regrind, something. This takes hours. For ONE piece. These TV shows are an hour long, with commercials thrown in every 10 minutes. No way they could ever show the actual build process of anything in that length of time. And who would sit there and watch a show about some guy grinding on a bracket for an hour? Or someone welding for hours on a roll-cage at 3am with bloodshot eyes and a shaky hand? We've been there. I don't want to watch a show about it!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

I'm not to sure people wouldn't watch it..Check out the views on some of the build threads posted HERE and other sites.. People want to see what someone creates from nothing.. You won't see the whole thing in 1 hour,, But if it get's your attention,, You will be back next week to see the rest.. I'm not saying for them to film someone welding.. But if someone is building a set of custom one off fenders out of glass.. From nothing.. I'm sure they would be watching.. Not everyone can pull it off..
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Just a quick note here,,No hijak intended,,,,,,,, since you mentioned the time involved to build a car, make numberous parts, and then have the owner (Customer) question you when you present him a bill at the end of the month for just a portion of the time it actually took to do what ever you are charging him for, then have him question you on why is it taking so long and costing so much to build this thing,,
I actually had this happen, and finally told him that , (after hearing his whinning month after month) I'll go hook up my trailer and we will load it up and take this thing where ever you want to take it, find someone else to finish it for half of what I charge, theres the phone,,
he didn't know what to say, except,, " I don't know anywhere else to take it,"
So I ended up finishing the car, and didn't get anymore gripes out of him,,,, The guy owns a BEAUTY SHOP,, and they charge upwards of 100+ $ for a womans hairdo for christs sake,,,
Randy and any body else here that does work for customers ( Know nothings) what its like to try and satisfy anyone that knows nothing about building a car,, Thats why I don't build cars for other people anymore,,,
Now back to the TV

Last edited by Bad Rat; 11-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
Just a quick note here,,No hijak intended,,,,,,,, since you mentioned the time involved to build a car, make numberous parts, and then have the owner (Customer) question you when you present him a bill at the end of the month for just a portion of the time it actually took to do what ever you are charging him for, then have him question you on why is it taking so long and costing so much to build this thing,,
I actually had this happen, and finally told him that , (after hearing his whinning month after month) I'll go hook up my trailer and we will load it up and take this thing where ever you want to take it, find someone else to finish it for half of what I charge, theres the phone,,
he didn't know what to say, except,, " I don't know anywhere else to take it,"
So I ended up finishing the car, and didn't get anymore gripes out of him,,,, The guy owns a BEAUTY SHOP,, and they charge upwards of 100+ $ for a womans hairdo for christs sake,,,
Randy and any body else here that does work for customers ( Know nothings) what its like to try and satisfy anyone that knows nothing about building a car,, Thats why I don't build cars for other people anymore,,,
Now back to the TV
Rat.. I know what you mean.. I'm helping a friend finish up a build I helped out with.. At his house (doing some finishing touch's) He told me the other day.. MAN !!! Now I see first hand what you go through.. I just looked at him in Smiled...
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

indian Larry

The best of all of these builder shows covered Indian Larry. No drama. No freaking out about money or time. Just manual effort to force metal to your will (did you ever see him make his twisted forks?)

RIP

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.