Goodguys - Des Moines (soon in Lincoln?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Goodguys - Des Moines (soon in Lincoln?)

Participated in my first Goodguys event this weekend in Des Moines... great show and I had a good time. Did anyone hear a final car count? I seen a few cars with numbers in the 3700's, but think it may have topped 4000.

While I was over dropping off my number in the drawing bin I overheard one of the Goodguys telling another participant that they were definitely going to have an event in Lincoln, NE next year and possibly one in Oshkosh, WI. Anyone hear anything about this? Both would be in easy driving distance for me, so I am very interested.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Oshkosh would be great! Wisconsin needs a big event. There are many cars here, but no big events except Back to the 50's in St Paul and Kalamazoo Nats. I will keep my ears open on this one. Almost went to Des Moines, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me. Its a bummer going by yourself on those trips.

I Googled "good guys Oshkosh" and found some talk from a good guys person. They are looking for dates and areas. If it happens, it will be announced around the Sema show time.

Last edited by 33Willys77; 07-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Not ready to do the traveling show circuit this year but next year, I hope to do Des Moines and Springfield MO. Lincoln is a 5.25 hr drive and doable too.

As a side note, the official number of registered cars for BTTF was 12,033. Not all of them attended. I know a number of people that register their cars just to get the 2 admission buttons, but there were a LOT of cars there ...
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Willys, I ended up going alone (after my buddy backed out) and still had a great time. This was the first long trip for my Falcon since I finished it this spring, so I was a little nervous out on the road by myself, but I ended up having zero problems - which also helped make for a great weekend! I will agree though that it is always more fun with someone else along.

I remember a few years ago GoodGuys had a show in Madison.... one, maybe two years there. But the turnout was too low, so they never came back. At least I assume that was why. Think they only had like 1500 cars or so. Nice venue though, I went up for it one year (as a spectator). Oshkosh would be further for me, but I would still go.

Good point about registered vs. cars that show up, too many projeccts.... however, it is still a reasonable comparison from one event to another. Oshkosh would be real close for you, so pencil that one in for next year too (if, in fact, they have an event there).

One lesson I learned from Des Moines this year is you gotta get there SUPER early in the morning if you want a good parking spot. They have a beautiful fairgrounds with lots of trees (much like St. Paul), but with that many cars there, there are only so many trees to go around for shade. Lots of people end up parking in open lots with zero shade. Just an FYI.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

The people start lining up around midnight for BTTF and Car Craft....
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 PM

I am one of those that line up early for BTT 50's. I am usually in the lot by 3am.

I was also at the Good Guys events in Wisconsin. Had a great time and met some great new friends. But the turnout was not very big and low on vendors. I hear the Good Guys and NSRA both don't do much for help with the show and leave it up to the local clubs to run it. That could also be an issue if there are not enough people willing to help out. Putting on a show is no easy chore - and to have a national event puts on even more pressure. The Madison Good Guys show was very WET! So I am sure weather had some to do with it. It is also evident that people don't want to spend the money either for a years subscription for the show entry fee. Vendors wont come to little shows either, so it all needs to pull together to make it work - it is a gamble, but everyone needs to do their part.

I will also be at Car Craft this year (again).
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Wow man, in line at midnite.... your sick! (just kidding) No way would I ever do that.... although a show as big as BTT 50's, I guess I can understand why people would do that. I will just eliminate the problem by not going!

Good point about finding enough help for the Good Guys shows... had forgotten about that. Seems like they got a pretty good racket going.... they take the money and let clubs do the work! Hopefully, they make a nice "donation" to the clubs that help out.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM

I actually have a good time that early in the morning. Very relaxed and meet some very nice people. I wouldn't miss it - ever.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.