google news - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

google news

I know we have a lot of discussions relating to news/politics/current events. If you're not already aware of it, you might want to check out Google News ( http://news.google.com ). I'm a news junkie -- especially national and global politics. I used to poke around at CNN, BBC, and VOA for news, and they've all been replaced since Google News came out. Here's how it works:

Google scans about 4,500 news websites for news articles, and arranges all of the stories in order of importance. "Importance" is determined algorithmically, so if a story appears on 4,000 of 4,500 websites, it will probably be listed at the top of the google news page. The google news page is updated numerous times every day (about every 10-15 minutes you'll see new articles).

Google also offers country-oriented news pages for the following countries: USA, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and India.

The cool thing is that the news stories are compiled algorithmically. All this really means is that the placement and importance of stories and their sources is dictated by mathematics, not by a human editor. As google puts it:

Quote:
Google News is highly unusual in that it offers a news service compiled solely by computer algorithms without human intervention. While the sources of the news vary in perspective and editorial approach, their selection for inclusion is done without regard to political viewpoint or ideology. While this may lead to some occasionally unusual and contradictory groupings, it is exactly this variety that makes Google News a valuable source of information on the important issues of the day.
The end result of this is a surprising mix of perspective. As an example, articles on the conflict in Iraq are represented not only by CNN or other mainstream western media, but you'll find plenty of articles from ArabNews, KurdishMedia, and other similar sources. This is a good way to find viewpoints that oppose western opinion, without having to resort to tabloid news.

You can also search news. Just enter a few keywords, and you'll be presented with all related current articles. Try a search on "hot rod", or your favorite make/model of car, and you'll see how it works.

Even if you're loyal to your current news sources, it's worth checking out ==> http://news.google.com .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2003, 09:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for posting this Jon - beats yahoo, excite, etc. all to heck. Problem is I'm spending too much time on Google news and hotrodders BB and not enough time on my projects and the ones my wife imposes on me.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Me, spend too much time on HR.com?

Nah, never happen.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Gread lead Jon, thanks....I am the type of guy that is always running around and I don't have a TV and I get tired of carrying a paper with me, never having time to read it. Now I find all of my news stories at one spot....Computer time is great
Everyday.....EVERYDAY....is...NBA.com...Hotrodders .com and Google news.....

Thanks agin fer makin us smarter bout coorent evints...
Old 07-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Geez, just checked it out Jon, looks like I have a new homepage.

Who needs a newspaper?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:51 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Newspaper.....???? I think I saw one of those in an antique shop. The shop owner told me it was pre-binary current events information transfer hardware.

Chuck...You mean HR.com isn't your homepage....
Old 07-11-2003, 02:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No it's not my home page...it's an active desktop item refreshed every 10 minutes.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

I've noticed from google news that the Sydney Morning Herald often has some interesting perspective that other papers don't. If you want high-end political news that's hard to come by, IntelligenceOnline.com has some good stuff, but you have to pay a few bucks per article.

It's weird how some of the top news sources are now blogs. Blogs are online journals where people make dated entries with photos. One of the best news sources for the whole Iraq ordeal is a blog by a western-educated architect living in Baghdad. He goes by the name of Salam Pax (a mix of the Arabic and Latin words for peace). His blog became extremely popular during the bombings. He'd hide out for a few hours, or a day, and everyone would hold their breath. Then, he'd emerge unscathed with information you couldn't get anywhere else, plus plenty of photos. Iraqi authorities tried to block access, but he keeps his identity secret. His firsthand coverage of the situation in Iraq blows CNN away. http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/
Old 07-12-2003, 01:49 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

4 Jaw Chuck
No it's not my home page...it's an active desktop item refreshed every 10 minutes.

Nicely done!!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.