Goose neck with living quarters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 01:05 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Goose neck with living quarters

Hi,
Well I'm finally about ready to bite the bullet and get a Gooseneck with living quarters to haul my toy with. Looks like a 44-46 footer with 14 foot LQ. Probably a Pace Big foot. The trailers are very nice and well made. Before I buy i need some help. I've had big trailers before so that isn't the problem.

I know this isn't directly hotrod but you have to get the hotrod to the location first then you need a roof over your head. so here we are.

Since these are essentially a camper front end with all the camper things. I can handle the stove, ref, micro wave, TV, maybe even cable hook up at the camp ground.
Black water, gray water, clear water tanks. WTH. I've never even looked at these things so they are new to me. I went over to the local camp ground for some info. They said hook ups are provided and are pretty much standard. Don't worry about it. Well how do you use the things?? pardon me for asking dumb questions. I can get it out of my rear end ok but how do I get the result out of the crapper?? Where does it go and what do I have to do when the tank is full?? duh, dump it but where and how?? I see they sell some heavy duty plastic gloves so it looks messy already. I read a few RV forms and they talk about the black tank getting plugged up..gotta use rv paper. They say you need a sprayer to poke down the head while it is draining. Where does this water come from??? Looks like I need another 30-40 gallon water tank in the bed of the truck just for cleaning this. Maybe even a small pressure washer. 20k GVW here we come. No wonder I need 3 7k axels. This is just the tip of the berg.

I checked out the camper trailers. They are a POS compared to the Pace LQ are far as quality. Sure they are cool with a couple slide outs but for $30k I would expect some decent counter tops and a better door that the handle doesn't come off in my hand. The exterior if made of glass is ok but the micro thin skin on the others is POS. My trailer will have .050 skin and 1 piece roof and weighs nearly twice as much. It has a real frame instead of formed 12 gage. They need to take some lessons from the boat people.

I asked the camp ground guy if there was any problem with long trailers. How long he says. I say 44-48 feet. He nearly choked on his coffee. I told him I would much prefer to be placed way out in back way from all the other if possible. He didn't have a problem with that. Some of the motor coaches are longer than the trailer.

Well anyway as you can see I'm a greenhorn when it comes to this. I need the technology as they say. I found that I can park at most Walmarts for a night or 2, but the basic problem is still there. the poop container.

By the time I'm done I'll be an environmentalist. 2 min shower, 1 qt of water for washing and shaving. 1 cup to rinse hands, dry flushes WTH, gas for the genset, Propane stops, Why don't they make a stove that runs on diesel fuel?? Now I just found out that you need a heater in the black,gray and clear tanks or a belly pan so they don't freeze in cold weather. No problem the frame is deep enough. A guy I was talking to said he just has a macerator and stops curb side when no one is looking and drops the load down the drain or at the side of the road!! No wonder they have all these rules and regulations.

What happened to just loading the car on the car trailer and hitching it to the 1/2 ton?? Go and have fun. I guess this will add a new dimension to hotrodding.

Help me out with some technology.
Thanks
bentwings

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 04:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The "crapper" problem is not a big thing, You have a plastic hose to connect to your sewage hook up, just keep some rubber gloves handy.

One bit of advise. When camping, keep the wastegate closed until you are leaving or have to empty it. If you leave it open while parked the waste will build up in the tank. When emptying try and fill the waste tank with fresh water and flush it out whenever possible to keep it clean.

Most units have a wastegate for both gray and black water........you can leave the grey water (shower, sinks etc) wastegate open when parked.

Also....if you are in a colder climate, don't forget to blow out your water lines in the winter.........save lots of grief in the spring (frozen lines cxrack)

Budget RVs
Old 07-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

On the Road again

I woudl reccomend joining Good Sam club..that is a group of people who RV a lot..they have better deals on insurnace and the towing alone is worth it as they have contracts with the guys who have the big Peterbuilt and KW wreckers that have the capabilty of getting you towed in should it be needed..And they will come and get you no questions asked if you need such a service..

Also they have books and such on the locations of campsites and info on where to park one of these things while on the road...

the waste tank deal becomes a non-issue when you get on to it..use the facilities at the resturant or truck stop..and dumping a waste tank can be done at a lot of the freeway rest stops..

Gen set..a 1500 watt honda will do fine unless you are running an A/C on that unit then you will need about 5KW to run that thing..of course if you run a genset in a campground after about 9-10 pm in the evening someone will be glad to come over and explain about "quiet time"..

Hopefully you are planning on a regular midsize truck/tractor to pull this thing..you are gonna need it regardless of what the salesguys have to say about a dually pickup..I suspect that a trailer that size will get up into the 20,000 lb range somewhere when loaded..

Just some thoughts..

OMT
Old 07-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Good advice already, one thing I would add is liquid soap and wipe dishes down with a paper towel before washing, keeps sludge build up to a minimum.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:28 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Thanks for the response. I guess the waste tank is not as big of deal as I thought. A couple guys told me to throw 3-4 bags of ice cubes in the black tank before dumping and drive around so they slosh a bit. I guess timing is the issue here as I wouldn't be very excited about having to hitch up and drive around for a half hour before dumping. Drop them in 1/2 hour before you get to the dump station. I found the RV paper a Wally's in the auto dept.

I found that the locals put a plastic belly pan front to rear with air passages or just shim up the middle so hot air can be fed over the tanks in the winter as well as to keep the ice off. The couple I saw were pretty clean. The pieces are removable with plastic clips. You just keep a bag of them handy and chizzle off the ones you need to gain access. Don't know where they get them yet. good idea.

I'm going to check out the Good Sams Club tomorrow.

I'm already up to a 7k gen set to run the TIG welder occasionally. I may have to add another k to it. I found some 8k diesel gen sets that look pretty good. I can handle the install of this myself. The trailer comes set up so you can just plug it in more or less. I have some other uses for the genset so it needs to be removable. I'll put a removable a lift on the truck so I can lift it. I

I never thought about the dishes..great idea

As far as towing goes I have a 1 ton Dodge diesel dually ext cab with an Edge comp and 275 injectors and improved lift pump, 4.10 gears and 5 spd. I've already pulled some big trailers and loads and it doesn't have any problem at all plus it gets 20 mpg empty. Sure beats the tar out of the old 454 chev crew cab we used for the FC racer years ago.

The wireless internet is still a problem. Looks like at least a year before this is solved by the communication industry. I'll hold off on this part.

I appreciate the info. I'm now up to about 6 pages of stuff. Hotrodding sure doesn't get boring. You just need to expand you views and double your expenses occasionally. haha

I wonder what stories will circulate the camping areas.....vetran to old timer..."you should have seen this guy with the racecar trailer...why the poor b..didn't even know how to hook up the waste hose to the dump pipe. Least the grass will be green around it"
"the s..b has grass growing on his back. He always under something. The truck, the trailer or his racer."
"I walked by at 6 am with the dog and here he is covered with dirt barbicuing steaks, 2pm he's digging in the cooler for a cold one same clothes, 9pm he's cooking more steaks still same tee shirt. 2 am I'm out with the dog and here he is with the motor from the car all spread out on tables. 8 am he stops by and says he is going cruising. When does he sleep??. No need for a camper."

thanks for the help.
bentwings
Old 07-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Probably the best thing for you to do is find someone who has experience wiith campers and make your maiden voyage with them,even if it's a weekend trip only 10 miles from home.If you know someone who knows what they're doing,it may pay to get them involved now, to help you get what works best.

I've thought about the type of set-up you're talking about,but it's a long way off for me.Kind of like getting away from it all,but taking the fun stuff with you.

Good Luck,George
Old 07-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Gray water- kitchen sink water, usually soapy with "floaters" and other unidentifiable particles. Has a gray color.

Black water- poop, urine, and some water. Smells real bad and has a black/dark brown color to it.

Clear water- clean nice water.

The gray and black water tanks go to a common pipe and thats where ya connect the hose to. I believe ya dump the black first since that has more solid matter (crap) in it, then gray to help wash the solid chunks out of the sewage hose.

Theere are 3 valves I believe, one on the common dump pipe and 2 smaller ones, one for each dirty water tank. I think they have a small "dripper" to drain the fresh water on the way home from camp going down the road.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I spent a few years making a living dirt track racing with a Super Late Model. Trust me when I say you aren't the only ones working on your car at the camp grounds. We woud race three or four times a week all over the place and camp was just thte only convienant time. I've been known to change engines in the trailer while rolling down the road at 80. We never could afford to buy more than two cars. And one was always wadded up.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.