Hot Rod Forum banner

GoPro video, Bucket-T chasing down a motorcycle

7K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
Still running my old computer (but not for long) coverted a piece of video to AVI and I'll see here if that worked. Poor computer's CPU was pegged at 100 % for the entire edit process. Have not addressed the slightly sloopy mount, not shimmed yet. Things will get better with the new computer. Any recommendations on a computer? I'm considering a power house "gamer" type computer.

This sequence if it works, is the neighbor kid blowing by me and 3 other cars on his crotch rocket, I had to wait for oncoming traffic to pass and to be able to see about 300' of road. Had to get it from 55 to 110 quick for an upcoming turn. For the hard core gearheads, all that passing was done in 4th gear (1:00 to 1:00) same as doing the pass in top gear of the old Muncie. I pulled 3rd to cut down on the amount of time spent in the opposing lane over the double yellow line, but upshifted to 4th at 3500 rpms. The low rpm torque has made me lazy about pulling gears or running much above 3500. 3500 in 5th is 142.5.

How do you post here to get the video player to show instead of just a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YlAuK_aJWc

#2 ·
deckofficer said:
Still running my old computer (but not for long) coverted a piece of video to AVI and I'll see here if that worked. Poor computer's CPU was pegged at 100 % for the entire edit process. Have not addressed the slightly sloopy mount, not shimmed yet. Things will get better with the new computer. Any recommendations on a computer? I'm considering a power house "gamer" type computer.

This sequence if it works, is the neighbor kid blowing by me and 3 other cars on his crotch rocket, I had to wait for oncoming traffic to pass and to be able to see about 300' of road. Had to get it from 55 to 110 quick for an upcoming turn. For the hard core gearheads, all that passing was done in 4th gear (1:00 to 1:00) same as doing the pass in top gear of the old Muncie. I pulled 3rd to cut down on the amount of time spent in the opposing lane over the double yellow line, but upshifted to 4th at 3500 rpms. The low rpm torque has made me lazy about pulling gears or running much above 3500. 3500 in 5th is 142.5.

How do you post here to get the video player to show instead of just a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YlAuK_aJWc
Passing on a double yellow :nono:

#4 ·
To T-bucket..........

Let us know where to send the flowers for YOUR funeral,Passing on a DOUBLE YELLOW is NEVER smart,i would have LOVED to see you do that when i was a Sheriffs Deputy.....lets see,speeding,reckless driving,passing in a prohibited area,that should be good for at LEAST a $500.00 fine,and your license for minimun of 6 months.

#5 ·
lt1silverhawk said:
Why Sir, it looks like you be flying down the CA 1! :D This forum doesn't seem to allow video embedding. users can only post a link, afaik. Btw, which Go Pro are you using? I've been wanting to invest in a few of those to use at the local track.
It is the motorsports version. For editing you will need one fast computer, GoPro recommends 3.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with 1GB. I won't mention where this was, just know that I know how dumb it was and for 99.99% of the time just putz around, short-shifting (1000~1600rpms). The kid on the bike is my neighbor and he drives way too fast on our rural, residential streets. We have always been on good terms, and since I caught him on the GoPro (it was my 1st drive with it), he now drives 20 mph on our street just like me. He doesn't want his Dad to see the video, so we got a deal

#7 ·
I am using the 1080P HD Motorsports camera, BUT my old computer's CPU is a lowly 1.6GHz, so I converted the video to AVI to edit and post. I am now in the market for a "gamers" powerhouse type of PC. I have stills and a write up on this GoPro here........

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2011/05/07/gopro-steep-learning-curve/#post8

you will also see a clip kept at 1080P HD, but still degraded by youtube. Plug this sucker into your HDTV 1080P and you will love it.

#10 ·
Must be a "Crotch Rocket" thing. I have had several occurrences of one, two and as many as 6 pass me on double yellow lines in very limited sight areas. Each has been successful only because I and the oncoming traffic were able to stop and let them live another day. Their days are numbered because they tend to get bolder and bolder until one day, a vehicle operator acts as stupidly as they.

Trees

#12 ·
deckofficer said:
I am using the 1080P HD Motorsports camera, BUT my old computer's CPU is a lowly 1.6GHz, so I converted the video to AVI to edit and post. I am now in the market for a "gamers" powerhouse type of PC. I have stills and a write up on this GoPro here........

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2011/05/07/gopro-steep-learning-curve/#post8

you will also see a clip kept at 1080P HD, but still degraded by youtube. Plug this sucker into your HDTV 1080P and you will love it.
There was a time when the 1.6 Ghz was blazin' fast ;). But I think a name-brand "gamer PC" might be a bit much, in terms of price. With some research, you can piece it all together and build it yourself.

Btw, I went to the link and noticed that at lower definition, there was a significant amount of fish-eye efefct. But at full 1080, everything was sharp and straight. Audio quality seemed the same no matter what the resolution was.

302 Z28 said:
If you want a real powerhouse PC build one yourself. With your skills it should not be a problem. Do a little research and pick your components. You will get a much faster better quality PC for less money.. PS the video is fantastic :thumbup:

Vince
+1 to that!

#13 ·
I remember those days of owning a crotch rocket. Uncomfortable, great gas mileage and extreme amounts of power. I had a 2005 Yamaha R1 with a filter, exhaust, lower gears and no emissions system on it. The gearing brought the top speed down from 180mph to 160. But that bike could get up to 150mph in 10 seconds no problem.

Even the stock bikes out perform every vehicle on the road:
http://youtu.be/K6ng5V38XV8

I remember reading in a book that a motorcycle rider uses more neurons per second than a jet fighter pilot. The only difference is a jet fighter pilot doesn't have whales flying around with him.

#14 ·
Dual core 3ghz prosessor computer with no frills would be less than $400 to build..

A kid that's sister went to the same school as me, went to pass a school bus trhu a double yellow, And hit a Dodge Cummins Diesel while everyone on the bus witnessed it.. And he did not make it..

#16 ·
wretched ratchet said:
Deck Officer, I am amazed at how good that T handles
at that speed even with the small steering
wheel. Scary Video but I was impressed.
The slight bit of slop for the camera mounting makes it look scary. I'll be shimming that thing for the next (and this time, much more pedestrian) video. Took a lot of heat on the HAMB, but after some inter-action, the positive comments were out numbering the negative, so the forum's admin closed down the thread. I guess they couldn't bare to see a congenial ending to the little vid saga.

#18 ·
lt1silverhawk said:
There was a time when the 1.6 Ghz was blazin' fast ;). But I think a name-brand "gamer PC" might be a bit much, in terms of price. With some research, you can piece it all together and build it yourself.

Btw, I went to the link and noticed that at lower definition, there was a significant amount of fish-eye efefct. But at full 1080, everything was sharp and straight. Audio quality seemed the same no matter what the resolution was.

+1 to that!
Building a PC is like building an engine, mismatched parts can greatly decrease performance. If you want something really powerful, look at the workstation machines. They are like a cross between a desktop pc and a server. Something like a HPz400 will give you tons of performance but they are not cheap. They have good a memory buss and are server grade motherboards. They will take up to 16Gb of ram depending on the model and have high end quad core processors.
If you do decide to build your own, I recommend either an ASUS or Intel motherboard. They are high quality and last a long time.
I have been building and repairing PC's since the late 70's

#20 ·
T-bucket23 said:
Building a PC is like building an engine, mismatched parts can greatly decrease performance. If you want something really powerful, look at the workstation machines. They are like a cross between a desktop pc and a server. Something like a HPz400 will give you tons of performance but they are not cheap. They have good a memory buss and are server grade motherboards. They will take up to 16Gb of ram depending on the model and have high end quad core processors.
If you do decide to build your own, I recommend either an ASUS or Intel motherboard. They are high quality and last a long time.
Agreed. There is an array of components out there and matching up the parts is key (learned that the hard way). I personally have been using lease-return Dells and they are pretty good computers, just outdated by a few months. How do you feel about copying computer specs from the name-brand companies? Sorry if this is getting off topic... :D

---------------------

wretched ratchet said:
We've all had our moments of stretching it a bit
haven't we? I enjoyed it :thumbup:
eloc431962 said:
I will guarantee we have, I doubt there is anyone on this site that hasen't opened it up a time or two. :mwink:

Cole
+1 to that... don't feel too bad Deck. Glad you're still around. :thumbup:

#21 ·
T-bucket23 said:

Chet,

I need your help. I've joined a computer forum and my requests for help are ignored for the last 3 days. You know my needs, just video editing, I'll never be a gamer or over clock. Also don't want to build it. So, any recommendations? Is this good bang for the buck? ...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7194935&CatId=2627

Thanks,
Bob

#22 ·
deckofficer said:
Chet,

I need your help. I've joined a computer forum and my requests for help are ignored for the last 3 days. You know my needs, just video editing, I'll never be a gamer or over clock. Also don't want to build it. So, any recommendations? Is this good bang for the buck? ...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7194935&CatId=2627

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

You may wana check the reviews on iBUYPOWER. The ones I see don't look to good, especially when it comes to customer service: http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-ibuypower_com/display_~reviews

#23 ·
#24 ·
when you said double yellow in your post, I was all ready thinking you are going to be catching heck for that :spank:

so when i was watching, i was looking closely at the actual situation

having had some very fast street bikes, i know what its like to be able to pass where alot of other people dont think you can

that double yellow move didnt look too bad, you could see up around 2 corners and then, zip zap it was over, just like that :pimp:

and in the interest of nailing down the neighbor kid, sometimes ya just gotta do it! (step out, that is) :thumbup:

#25 ·
Here is my next PC,
and I'm overdue for an upgrade. I'm presently running a 10 year old P4-2400 with 1GB of ram and 2, 80 gig hard drives.

PC's are DARN cheap these days compared to 20 years ago. Feature-for feature ... they're almost free. You can't even come close after spending several hundred to upgrade various components.

The PC listed above has 6GB of ram (expandable to 16) and has a 1.5 TB hard drive. You'll love having an HDMI port, as well as the built-in card readers.

My 12.1 MP Nikon camera produces some very large "RAW" image files, and movies are much worse for consuming hard-drive space. If the video card isn't fast enough at rendering your movies ... it might be about the only "non-standard" component that you'd need to make this a dream machine, IMHO.

#26 ·
Good pc's are not cheap. Cheap PC's are cheap. You can buy a pc with similar specs for 300 or 1200. You need to know what you are buying. Like almost everything else you get what you pay for. As a general rule, if you are doing anything with video you need a dedicated video card. The shared memory video is not efficient. All the quality items make a difference, Memory, mother board, power supply, drives etc. If you buy a 300-600dollar machine and think you are going to get a high performance machine you are mistaken. A good pc will cost you 800 up. If you are just an email and light other use the 300-500 Dell, HP etc will work for you. Once you start needing horsepower to do video, gaming and other machine intensive stuff you need power and quality

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.