GoPro video, Bucket-T chasing down a motorcycle - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Deck Officer, I am amazed at how good that T handles
at that speed even with the small steering
wheel. Scary Video but I was impressed.
The slight bit of slop for the camera mounting makes it look scary. I'll be shimming that thing for the next (and this time, much more pedestrian) video. Took a lot of heat on the HAMB, but after some inter-action, the positive comments were out numbering the negative, so the forum's admin closed down the thread. I guess they couldn't bare to see a congenial ending to the little vid saga.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

We've all had our moments of stretching it a bit
haven't we? I enjoyed it
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
There was a time when the 1.6 Ghz was blazin' fast . But I think a name-brand "gamer PC" might be a bit much, in terms of price. With some research, you can piece it all together and build it yourself.

Btw, I went to the link and noticed that at lower definition, there was a significant amount of fish-eye efefct. But at full 1080, everything was sharp and straight. Audio quality seemed the same no matter what the resolution was.

+1 to that!
Building a PC is like building an engine, mismatched parts can greatly decrease performance. If you want something really powerful, look at the workstation machines. They are like a cross between a desktop pc and a server. Something like a HPz400 will give you tons of performance but they are not cheap. They have good a memory buss and are server grade motherboards. They will take up to 16Gb of ram depending on the model and have high end quad core processors.
If you do decide to build your own, I recommend either an ASUS or Intel motherboard. They are high quality and last a long time.
I have been building and repairing PC's since the late 70's

Chet
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
haven't we? I enjoyed it
I will guarantee we have, I doubt there is anyone on this site that hasen't opened it up a time or two.

Cole
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Building a PC is like building an engine, mismatched parts can greatly decrease performance. If you want something really powerful, look at the workstation machines. They are like a cross between a desktop pc and a server. Something like a HPz400 will give you tons of performance but they are not cheap. They have good a memory buss and are server grade motherboards. They will take up to 16Gb of ram depending on the model and have high end quad core processors.
If you do decide to build your own, I recommend either an ASUS or Intel motherboard. They are high quality and last a long time.
Agreed. There is an array of components out there and matching up the parts is key (learned that the hard way). I personally have been using lease-return Dells and they are pretty good computers, just outdated by a few months. How do you feel about copying computer specs from the name-brand companies? Sorry if this is getting off topic...

---------------------

Quote:
haven't we? I enjoyed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
I will guarantee we have, I doubt there is anyone on this site that hasen't opened it up a time or two.

Cole
+1 to that... don't feel too bad Deck. Glad you're still around.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23

Chet,

I need your help. I've joined a computer forum and my requests for help are ignored for the last 3 days. You know my needs, just video editing, I'll never be a gamer or over clock. Also don't want to build it. So, any recommendations? Is this good bang for the buck? ...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...935&CatId=2627

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Chet,

I need your help. I've joined a computer forum and my requests for help are ignored for the last 3 days. You know my needs, just video editing, I'll never be a gamer or over clock. Also don't want to build it. So, any recommendations? Is this good bang for the buck? ...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...935&CatId=2627

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

You may wana check the reviews on iBUYPOWER. The ones I see don't look to good, especially when it comes to customer service: http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Ser...splay_~reviews
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Bob,

You may wana check the reviews on iBUYPOWER. The ones I see don't look to good, especially when it comes to customer service: http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Ser...splay_~reviews
Chet,

Not too good for reviews. What would you suggest in the $600~800 range?
Keep in mind GoPro says as a minimum 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, video card with dedicated 1 GB for it.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

when you said double yellow in your post, I was all ready thinking you are going to be catching heck for that

so when i was watching, i was looking closely at the actual situation

having had some very fast street bikes, i know what its like to be able to pass where alot of other people dont think you can

that double yellow move didnt look too bad, you could see up around 2 corners and then, zip zap it was over, just like that

and in the interest of nailing down the neighbor kid, sometimes ya just gotta do it! (step out, that is)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Here is my next PC,
and I'm overdue for an upgrade. I'm presently running a 10 year old P4-2400 with 1GB of ram and 2, 80 gig hard drives.

PC's are DARN cheap these days compared to 20 years ago. Feature-for feature ... they're almost free. You can't even come close after spending several hundred to upgrade various components.

The PC listed above has 6GB of ram (expandable to 16) and has a 1.5 TB hard drive. You'll love having an HDMI port, as well as the built-in card readers.

My 12.1 MP Nikon camera produces some very large "RAW" image files, and movies are much worse for consuming hard-drive space. If the video card isn't fast enough at rendering your movies ... it might be about the only "non-standard" component that you'd need to make this a dream machine, IMHO.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Good pc's are not cheap. Cheap PC's are cheap. You can buy a pc with similar specs for 300 or 1200. You need to know what you are buying. Like almost everything else you get what you pay for. As a general rule, if you are doing anything with video you need a dedicated video card. The shared memory video is not efficient. All the quality items make a difference, Memory, mother board, power supply, drives etc. If you buy a 300-600dollar machine and think you are going to get a high performance machine you are mistaken. A good pc will cost you 800 up. If you are just an email and light other use the 300-500 Dell, HP etc will work for you. Once you start needing horsepower to do video, gaming and other machine intensive stuff you need power and quality

Chet
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Here is my next PC,
and I'm overdue for an upgrade. I'm presently running a 10 year old P4-2400 with 1GB of ram and 2, 80 gig hard drives.

PC's are DARN cheap these days compared to 20 years ago. Feature-for feature ... they're almost free. You can't even come close after spending several hundred to upgrade various components.

The PC listed above has 6GB of ram (expandable to 16) and has a 1.5 TB hard drive. You'll love having an HDMI port, as well as the built-in card readers.

My 12.1 MP Nikon camera produces some very large "RAW" image files, and movies are much worse for consuming hard-drive space. If the video card isn't fast enough at rendering your movies ... it might be about the only "non-standard" component that you'd need to make this a dream machine, IMHO.
Your link did not take me to your future computer.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Buying a computer will always end up costing more than you could build it for, Especially for a name brand box, except Dell, which uses the cheapest parts they can get, then provides a great warranty...

I edit tons of video, convert to and from DVD formats and generally a couple gigs each for files.. I do it all with my 1.8 GHZ AMD Sempron laptop w/ 256 mb of Ram. I don't even have all of the software installed on my Desktop which is an AMD X3 445 Rana core which is 3x 3.1ghz cores, and I have 2gb of Ram. I have a pretty nice video card and it is a mid range gamers rig, altho I should have more Ram.. If I used that computer for the editing, the only thing extra that I would achive is being able to multi task..

That said, I would check out www.Newegg.com for computers. With your expectations and Needs so low, a dual core 1.6 ghz would be all you need. if you went to 2.1-2.5 ghz dual core, then your needs would be more than met.. Just buy somthing upgradable, and if you can get it w/o an OS, I would do so. Then go on Ebay and get an OEM version of win 7 below retail cost. You will get the computer without the bloatware you can't get rid of

This is more computer than you will need for 2-3 years and a great price..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103361
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Your link did not take me to your future computer.
The link works just fine on my PC.

Have a look at this one, too.
Yes it's a "refurb" and no it's not intel, but at $499 and having a quad-core processor ... it's attractive. As I said earlier, a video card upgrade with dedicated ram is a fairly easy upgrade.

PC World has an interesting article as well on the differences between i3, i5, and i7 processors

My son is a graphic designer, as well as a intensive gamer.
As T-Bucket23 said ... he doesn't buy "cheap off-the-shelf" PC's. He does a lot of rendering in Maya ... which is painfully slow on anything but a high-end PC. That process is so intensive that it produces a LOT of heat ... and his PC has cooling fans and heat sinks everywhere. I rib him about having an exremely expensive space heater.

I, myself, tend to buy what I *need*, not what I *want*.
(Translation: Whatever I can get without causing marital dischord)

Just know that whatever you buy will become obsolete during the trip from the store to your home. I believe that it's one of Murphy's Laws.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There is something gratifying about building your own computer. The desk top I'm currently using is reasonably fast tho I don't have enough RAM at 4 GB, do have it on my list. As far as mother boards - I've settled on an ASUS after a couple of early failures of other brands. The AMD processors seem to be a bit cheaper then a comparable Intel, and for my use,possibly even better. Hard drives and CD/DVD drives seem to be commodity items and are cheap. For my main "C" drive, I believe I paid about $50 for a Western Digital (Amazon was cheapest), the other two to make up the ~TB were probably another $50. Add a case with power supply, a GOOD graphics card, an extra fan or two and you will be miles ahead of what is commercially available at that price.

Here is the latest version of "Building the Perfect PC" and what I use for my guide: http://www.amazon.com/Building-Perfe...5120575&sr=1-1 . It's a great guide and actually makes sense

Oh yeah - your driving guide - not for me any longer!!

Dave W

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.