Hot Rod Forum banner

Gorilla Glue is from Aliens

14K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
This is kinda related to the "useful tools" discussion...

Now heres something I been thinking about pretty weird. I don't know if any of you all have ever used Gorilla Glue? But I think that stuff is made by aliens from outer space. First off they start by saying its the "Strongest Glue on Planet Earth" on the label...yea planet earth all right...notice they did not say "the world" or "the universe". No buddy, its only the toughest (not strongest) glue on PLANET EARTH. Now what gluemaker would use these kind of words? A goddarn alien, thats who!

And have you ever got that stuff on your hands and let it (accidentally) "cure"? Nothing on PLANET EARTH will remove that stuff from your skin either...and I tried everything from paint thinner, alcohol, nail polish remover. Those jokers have the nerve to say "remove excess with soap and water!" Oh what a joke! If you ever use that stuff, and you're kinda sloppy, you better wear gloves. It took about 4 days for that stuff to "wear off" my hands.

Its worse than crazy glue or super glue too. That will eventually peel off over a day or two, and it won't rip your skin either. But don't even try to peel off that Gorilla Glue...it will rip off layers of skin and leave you blistered! This is after two or three days too. I talk from experience...I aint exagerating either!

Then you try reading the black type font on the brown label, and you have to use a lighted magnifying glass, because all the directions are made smaller than ant's private parts, and you can't make out the words from the background because its too dark. And when the bottle gets wet, the directions wash off. They say "Do Not Overapply!" Because of some kind of "polymerization" process (yea thats what they say anyhow), the stuff literally GROWS and EXPANDS to 5 times its application size and mass.

I just don't think that glue comes from this planet. I have never seen anything natural or made by man that acts so crazy! This is not glue...its a science fiction movie at your fingertips! I mean it does work really good, especially if your joining pourous surface. But its a whole production number to prep and clean up! If you never used this stuff before...be warned!

Maybe we weren't the first?

See less See more
#2 ·
Going out on a limb, I'd say you had a less than positive experience gluing things together. First of all, if you are over 40, EVERYTHING is printed in "bacteria font". Once you have glued a couple of gorillas together, you will learn to use rubber gloves when using it. Latex surgical gloves are great-but make sure you don't have a latex allergy. This is a nasty one and you don't want to die with your gloves on. The stuff does expand like crazy-so use grease/vaseline of something it won't stick to on places you don't want it.

Bottom line, if you want to glue two pieces of something it is labeled for together, this is great glue.

#4 ·
Gorilla glue is one of several similar urethane glues that are water proof, stick to anything (ESPECIALLY skin) and foam to fill gaps. It is really a wonderful product but as you found out, you must use precautions.

-Like all urethane products (these glues, POR15 coating, etc., they are virtually impossible to remove from skin so always use gloves).

-only buy small volumes, just what you can use in a few weeks. Urethanes (glues and paints) cure in presence of moisture and atmospheric moisture will cure them in the can or bottle.

-When using the glue, only put a light coat on one half of the joint and moisten the other half. The water will quicken the cure and the glue will expand to bond to both surfaces.

-Tip - put masking tape on either side of a joint so the glue that foams out will not stick to the wood and will easily peel off with the tape. Makes cleanup MUCH easier.

I still like emulsion glues (yellow carpenters glue) for most wood projects but for those that may be exposed to water, Gorilla glue is the ONLY thing to use.

#5 ·
I want some, I need some, where do I get it?

This Gorilla glue, who sells it? The garage at Ford uses some stuff thats supposed to be strong enough to glue metal together like welding, is that the same stuff? Once its opened you must use it up right? Once exposed to atmosphere it starts to cure? Must be and alien product then! Again, where can I find some of thei wonderful stuff/glue to play with?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!:drool:

#9 ·
Well yea it is a good glue...no doubt! I just used some tonight on a chair. Yea I got the hang of not getting it on my hands! I still think Aliens make it, though...that "Toughest glue on PLANET EARTH" business. It also doesn't work on things that have movement...after my buddy seen what it did to my skin (he had lots of laughs about that), he wanted to try it on a sole that was coming off his work boot. It only held up for a day. But it is definetly hard to beat using Gorilla Glue on wood. You can find it at Advance Auto. A small bottle costs $8.88 plus tax.

Hey Tazz, I think you are thinking about that J & B Super Weld. You can also get that at Advance Auto for $5-$6. That stuff can fix holes in a block. It's also a super duty glue, but it don't expand and act crazy like Gorilla Glue! That one mixes like epoxy, and you can probably peel it off your hands if it sits there too long, but you just wipe it off when you're done unless you're a slob. Usually, you have about 20 minutes to use J & B before it becomes too hard to work with. I used the stuff on a intake manifold that wasn't right with the EGR and PCV setup. Used it to block the EGR blowout hole that feeds off the exhausts. It held up no problem, even under the high heat.

#11 ·
Cruisomatic...

Since you mentioned it, the guy at Autozone, he was a manager and does have more car knowledge than their average employee, well he told me a story about the J & B Weld.

You see, I asked him which was the glue that he got return custmers with and what did they say about it. He said J & B sold the most and he remembered a customer telling him that he developed a hairline crack in his block over the winter and the car would run out the anti freeze and overheat.

He said the customer was planning to replace the engine, it was a six cylinder, but he didn't have the money to replace it yet and the weather wasn't good enough to work on either. So someone told this customer about the J & B and he did some kind of grinding and work sose to get a deep and rough enough surface, then he applied the J & B exactly as the directions said. The guy came back to tell the manager that it really worked and he was hoping it would keep until the weather broke and he got some extra cash.

I don't know how true this story is, but on the package it does say it can stop leaks in cracked blocks if you apply it right. And it also says something like this should only be done on a temporary basis. I've used it, and it seems pretty good and strong to me, and its also waterproof and heat resistant, at least this is what I actually seen when I used it. I guess it is possible to use it for a temporary fix on a cracked block or heads. I don't think they'd put all of that on the package if it didn't have any truth to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.