Gorilla Glue is from Aliens - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gorilla Glue is from Aliens

This is kinda related to the "useful tools" discussion...

Now heres something I been thinking about pretty weird. I don't know if any of you all have ever used Gorilla Glue? But I think that stuff is made by aliens from outer space. First off they start by saying its the "Strongest Glue on Planet Earth" on the label...yea planet earth all right...notice they did not say "the world" or "the universe". No buddy, its only the toughest (not strongest) glue on PLANET EARTH. Now what gluemaker would use these kind of words? A goddarn alien, thats who!

And have you ever got that stuff on your hands and let it (accidentally) "cure"? Nothing on PLANET EARTH will remove that stuff from your skin either...and I tried everything from paint thinner, alcohol, nail polish remover. Those jokers have the nerve to say "remove excess with soap and water!" Oh what a joke! If you ever use that stuff, and you're kinda sloppy, you better wear gloves. It took about 4 days for that stuff to "wear off" my hands.

Its worse than crazy glue or super glue too. That will eventually peel off over a day or two, and it won't rip your skin either. But don't even try to peel off that Gorilla Glue...it will rip off layers of skin and leave you blistered! This is after two or three days too. I talk from experience...I aint exagerating either!

Then you try reading the black type font on the brown label, and you have to use a lighted magnifying glass, because all the directions are made smaller than ant's private parts, and you can't make out the words from the background because its too dark. And when the bottle gets wet, the directions wash off. They say "Do Not Overapply!" Because of some kind of "polymerization" process (yea thats what they say anyhow), the stuff literally GROWS and EXPANDS to 5 times its application size and mass.

I just don't think that glue comes from this planet. I have never seen anything natural or made by man that acts so crazy! This is not glue...its a science fiction movie at your fingertips! I mean it does work really good, especially if your joining pourous surface. But its a whole production number to prep and clean up! If you never used this stuff before...be warned!

Maybe we weren't the first?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Going out on a limb, I'd say you had a less than positive experience gluing things together. First of all, if you are over 40, EVERYTHING is printed in "bacteria font". Once you have glued a couple of gorillas together, you will learn to use rubber gloves when using it. Latex surgical gloves are great-but make sure you don't have a latex allergy. This is a nasty one and you don't want to die with your gloves on. The stuff does expand like crazy-so use grease/vaseline of something it won't stick to on places you don't want it.

Bottom line, if you want to glue two pieces of something it is labeled for together, this is great glue.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I used it to glue some ends on some baseboard. It's some good stuff.

Kevin
Old 02-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Gorilla glue is one of several similar urethane glues that are water proof, stick to anything (ESPECIALLY skin) and foam to fill gaps. It is really a wonderful product but as you found out, you must use precautions.

-Like all urethane products (these glues, POR15 coating, etc., they are virtually impossible to remove from skin so always use gloves).

-only buy small volumes, just what you can use in a few weeks. Urethanes (glues and paints) cure in presence of moisture and atmospheric moisture will cure them in the can or bottle.

-When using the glue, only put a light coat on one half of the joint and moisten the other half. The water will quicken the cure and the glue will expand to bond to both surfaces.

-Tip - put masking tape on either side of a joint so the glue that foams out will not stick to the wood and will easily peel off with the tape. Makes cleanup MUCH easier.

I still like emulsion glues (yellow carpenters glue) for most wood projects but for those that may be exposed to water, Gorilla glue is the ONLY thing to use.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

I want some, I need some, where do I get it?

This Gorilla glue, who sells it? The garage at Ford uses some stuff thats supposed to be strong enough to glue metal together like welding, is that the same stuff? Once its opened you must use it up right? Once exposed to atmosphere it starts to cure? Must be and alien product then! Again, where can I find some of thei wonderful stuff/glue to play with?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Be sure you donīt have to go to the bathroom while using that stuff!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No, this is a woodworking glue, not for metal. Can get it (or equivalent - Gorilla is just one of several brand names) at Lowe's , Home Depot, etc.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I've seen it advertised in my woodworking magazines but Ive never tried it yet. Sounds interesting but I figured it was just hype. I'll have to try some. Thanks for the product info.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Well yea it is a good glue...no doubt! I just used some tonight on a chair. Yea I got the hang of not getting it on my hands! I still think Aliens make it, though...that "Toughest glue on PLANET EARTH" business. It also doesn't work on things that have movement...after my buddy seen what it did to my skin (he had lots of laughs about that), he wanted to try it on a sole that was coming off his work boot. It only held up for a day. But it is definetly hard to beat using Gorilla Glue on wood. You can find it at Advance Auto. A small bottle costs $8.88 plus tax.

Hey Tazz, I think you are thinking about that J & B Super Weld. You can also get that at Advance Auto for $5-$6. That stuff can fix holes in a block. It's also a super duty glue, but it don't expand and act crazy like Gorilla Glue! That one mixes like epoxy, and you can probably peel it off your hands if it sits there too long, but you just wipe it off when you're done unless you're a slob. Usually, you have about 20 minutes to use J & B before it becomes too hard to work with. I used the stuff on a intake manifold that wasn't right with the EGR and PCV setup. Used it to block the EGR blowout hole that feeds off the exhausts. It held up no problem, even under the high heat.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:

Quote:
I think you are thinking about that J & B Super Weld. You can also get that at Advance Auto for $5-$6. That stuff can fix holes in a block.
lol,this is gonna sound dumb.
So if I crack a engine block, I can just glue it right back up?
That'd be sweet.
Later.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Cruisomatic...

Since you mentioned it, the guy at Autozone, he was a manager and does have more car knowledge than their average employee, well he told me a story about the J & B Weld.

You see, I asked him which was the glue that he got return custmers with and what did they say about it. He said J & B sold the most and he remembered a customer telling him that he developed a hairline crack in his block over the winter and the car would run out the anti freeze and overheat.

He said the customer was planning to replace the engine, it was a six cylinder, but he didn't have the money to replace it yet and the weather wasn't good enough to work on either. So someone told this customer about the J & B and he did some kind of grinding and work sose to get a deep and rough enough surface, then he applied the J & B exactly as the directions said. The guy came back to tell the manager that it really worked and he was hoping it would keep until the weather broke and he got some extra cash.

I don't know how true this story is, but on the package it does say it can stop leaks in cracked blocks if you apply it right. And it also says something like this should only be done on a temporary basis. I've used it, and it seems pretty good and strong to me, and its also waterproof and heat resistant, at least this is what I actually seen when I used it. I guess it is possible to use it for a temporary fix on a cracked block or heads. I don't think they'd put all of that on the package if it didn't have any truth to it.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Rumor is that the slow set JB Weld works great as a filler on steel that is to be powder coated. Stands up to the 450F treating temperature which would destroy common fillers and epoxies.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM

How to get Gorilla glue off your hands

Agreed take precaution as NOT to get it on your skin in the first place but hence if you do... a fine sand paper will quickly remove it, and no worries you will still have your fingerprints...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

And yet another ghost from the past arises from the ashes!

Last edited by oldred; 08-18-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.