gorilla glue is made by aliens - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Again, why poison yourself with chemicals when a little PPE will do nicely? Gloves are cheap. Would you paint epoxy without a respirator then try to wash your lungs out in paint thinner hoping not to die of asphyxiation?

Just use the proper gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

thinner

it also absorbs through the skin into your blood and also dries your skin not to mention the burn if you have a cut or hangnail.i had to wash the paint off a complete paint job because i forgot to put hardner in it got high as heck felt real good for an hour then had the worst headache ever for four hours now i use nothing but painters soap or dawn with gloves but use gloves to start with and no mess no problems.save the thinner for cleaning your guns
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
it also absorbs through the skin into your blood and also dries your skin not to mention the burn if you have a cut or hangnail.i had to wash the paint off a complete paint job because i forgot to put hardner in it got high as heck felt real good for an hour then had the worst headache ever for four hours now i use nothing but painters soap or dawn with gloves but use gloves to start with and no mess no problems.save the thinner for cleaning your guns
It only dries your hands out for a lil while, I use it quite a bit. Alot of stuff if it contains alcohol (nail polish, etc) will burn and dry your hands. I do agree tho, use gloves when using POR15, Super glue, gorilla glue, paint, etc. But if youve already got it on you and you need it off, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Nothing will dissolve it when it has dried.

I still find Aloe Baby Wipes to be the best for removing anything that gets on my hands, non toxic too.

I would have a long hot shower and scape it off. Try the baby wipe trick, it works really well for most things and will get the stuff out of your pores.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I use a vegetable brush when I need to really get the shop stuff off. Long soak in hot water with dish wash soap seems the best for me.

After a lifetime of solvents and oils in the shop I am extremely sensitive to any solvent. It drys the skin and in a matter of hours I can get a skin crack that quickly gets real sore. Right now it is tough to even type.

Even leather gloves which I have to wear all day long at work dry the skin. I usually use a soft cotton glove inside except the TIG gloves.

For glues there is a product called Liquid Gloves that I got at the drug store. It seems to be just a heavier hand lotion but it does work if you use it before the fact.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Harbor Freight has packages of 100 disposable gloves, latex, plastic or nitrile(the best choice) and all are about $7 to $10 a box. There are better brands but more expensive and these cheapies do last if reasonably careful at least a couple of times before they tear. Regardless, somehow I still will usually get something like Gorilla Glue, Minwax Stain or SPI epoxy on my hands - and in 2-3 weeks it will all be gone - until the next time

Just dont use chemicals like acetone, lacquer thinner, gasoline or similar. Enough of that stuff can kill, or at least could make you very sick. I spent a night in the E-room at a hospital from using thinners cleaning parts. The high was great, but the lack of being able to breathe and chest pains a few hours later wasn't fun. Then there was the bill, even with health insurance and that caused another ache - in the check book.

Dave W
Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've pushed this product before at this site, Bag Balm, for cow udders, works great for dry skin, it's cheap, around 4 bucks a tin at Walgreens, a tin will last forever, can't be beat.

For the dried on paint or por15, rub hand lotion or a gentle hand cleaner, the citrus kind seems to work best, on your hands, put the disposable gloves on for a half hour or so, the sweating of the skin helps push the crud out of your pores. Take the gloves off and start wiping your hands off with a rag.

Dan

Wannabe Heloise household hinter
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastus1
I inherited my dad's 1966 ford F100. He bought it when I was 11 and drove it for 38 years. untill dec.2007 when he passed away. it was hit on the passenger side. and upset him so bad his blood pressure spiked and he had a stroke.
They don't build 'em like they used to... I'd be that upset as well. everything is automatic and luxurious these days, or plastic. What happend to a good, honest pickup like the f100 you have? Take a current truck off road and try not to bust any politically correct aerodynamic aids, scrape it up from low clearance, or bang your head on the aerodynamic a pillar. Gosh it's a shame. They're nicer on the road, sure, but isn't that what a passenger car is for?

My rant aside...

Well, remember when working with tools, chemicals, or anything else, safety first

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 02-25-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 PM

handy

heres a handy little tool i found that works great for cleaning your hands and nails also wheels.use your favorite hand soap,its a big help when your going out in public .well couldnt send a picture but its called sonic scrubber and it looks like a giant electric tooth brush worth every penny
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I'll bet butter or a warm porkchop will take it off..seems like when ever I get stuff on my hands that won't come off with acetone, carb cleaner, laquer thinner, gasoline or TNT and a wire wheel or scotchbrite pad, as soon as I get home and start cooking, the stuff always stains up the cube of butter or sausage patty...cheese seems very absorbent too. Never tried it with go-rilla glue though..I think a test is in order.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I'll bet butter or a warm porkchop will take it off..seems like when ever I get stuff on my hands that won't come off with acetone, carb cleaner, laquer thinner, gasoline or TNT and a wire wheel or scotchbrite pad, as soon as I get home and start cooking, the stuff always stains up the cube of butter or sausage patty...cheese seems very absorbent too. Never tried it with go-rilla glue though..I think a test is in order.

Later, mikey
Mikey... I needed that laugh....LOL...
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 AM

fats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Mikey... I needed that laugh....LOL...
gurila glue is also low in saturated fats,has a bit of a gamie taste though
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike

Later, mikey
Mikey just tip.. Don't let people see you cooking with that glue on your hands. They will not eat what you cook. Even when you cook really well.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Mikey just tip.. Don't let people see you cooking with that glue on your hands. They will not eat what you cook. Even when you cook really well.
So that's why Mikey's Pork chops come out so good!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM

food 4 thought

gets me tinkin,next time i cook out ill get the glue first then flip them porterhouses,more 4 me,im hungry

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.