Got a 8.8 explorer rear end for the V8 Bug project.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got a 8.8 explorer rear end for the V8 Bug project....

Good Morning So I'm getting a better rear end for my V8 beetle on an s10 chassis project (www.v8beetleresource.com). I'm getting a locking 4.10 gear ratio 8.8 rear end with disc brakes off of a 97 explorer to replace my s10 rear end with.

I'm getting it for $150, delivered to me at work, and so I figure thats not too bad.

At first I was just planning on using the s10 rear end for a while and upgrading latter, but I figure I might as well get the upgrade done while I'm still building it.

I've been checking out the v8 s10 and jeep swaps, but I was just wondering if anyone on here experience with these rear ends, and if there are any good sites you have found with some good info on them???

Also what do you think about the 4.10 Gear ratio with my 2004r trans with a .67 4th gear ratio, and 29" tall tires I'll be putting on the back???

For a while I'll only be putting about 225-250hp out with my 350, but plan to build an engine for it down the road, but I don't plan on going over 350hp...... Rather spend the money on the next project what ever that may be

Thanks for all the help guys, and I just had to share my find with you all...... Hope to start making progress on the bug again soon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

the 8.8 will work well with the 200 4r trans. My bud just put the same thing in his dakota pickup. I found a u joint that actually fit the chrysler shaft and the ford yoke (companion flange) so we could re use the stock chrysler drive shaft.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Yeah they make several different combination U-joints, I'm using the front part of a 2 piece drive shaft from a c20 truck, it was just the perfect size to use with out having to have cut and weld a drive shaft So I'll need a 1350/whatever fits the 8.8 yoke, combo u-joint.

I had a 1350/3r combo u -oint to adapt the drive shaft to the s10 rear end....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Footbraker

Last photo:

maybe this will help
http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5279
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15522
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Thanks Rhansen I've read through the thread at that first link, and have read several of the topics in the 2nd link, but didn't have that whole list of links.

Thanks I'll get back to reading some more.....
Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Alright how about a quick little update on the 8.8" rear end. I got home early Thursday because I had to go to a seminar for work so I figured I'd start tearing it down.

I'll work on posting this update to the main website later on, but here are some pics for now... I'll try to add updated pics to this post, but you can also check out my V8 VW forum at www.v8beetleresource.com/forum I tend to update it a little more often.

Anyways here is the update, then I'm heading out to the garage to do some more work:

It was a halfway nice day so first I pushed the bug outside and got a couple updated shots of it:

Here is the ford 8.8" rear end from a 1997 ford explorer, It has disc brakes, locking diff, 4.10 gear ratio, and I picked it up for $150. I also go the leaf springs and sway bar with it. Of course I don't need the leaf springs, maybe I can sell them on craigslist for like $20, and I'm going to stick with the s10 rear sway bar I got because it is the ZQ8 sway bar and much beefier than the explorer sway bar.

Next I cut the U bolts so I could pull off the leaf springs and I also pulled of the sway bar, and then got it up where I could work on it easier.

Just another view:

I'm planning on pulled on the calipers, rotors, brake lines, emergency brakes, backing plates, etc, etc, etc and I'll clean up the rear end, paint it with some master series silver, then probably some roll on bed liner like I'm doing on the frame.

Then I'll put in new bearings and seals, along with new calipers, rotors, lines ,etc....

Here is the ID tag on the rear end. the 4L10 number is what your looking for, that lets you know its a locking 4.10 rear end, and I believe the 8.8 rear ends on the 1995 explorers and up are all disc brakes.

Here I started tearing down the rear end, I started with the drivers side, I pulled off the caliper and the rotor was falling off. I figured I got lucky because it can be a real pain to convince them that they want to come off some times. The passenger side rotor on the other hand was a real pain to get it. It was really stuck on there, After lots of WD40, hammering and some heat from a torch it came off, but it put up a good fight.

RIght now I'm planning on getting the rear end finished then get it under the car. Then I'll be able to get my drive line angle figured out, make my transmission crossmember, get my engine mounts welded in their final places, etc. Then I'll be able to move onto the floor of the body that way I can figure out locations for body mounts. Then after I get the body mounts figured out and welded to the chassis I'll be able to finish sand blasting, and undercoating it, etc....

Thats all I have for now but will keep you all updated with any more progress I make.

Hope you all had a good weekend
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Just another quick update on the tear down of the explorere 8.8" rear end:

I pulled off the diff. cover and drained the oil in the rear end. The oil actually looked pretty clean, and there were no big chunks in the oil

After pulling the cover off it is defiantly a 4.10 rear end:

Here you can see that there is just a tad bit of wear on the gears, but nothing major:

Being that this is a C clip rear end to pull out the axle shafts you need to loosen this bolt that holds the pinion shaft in. Once you slide the pinion shaft out of the way you can push each axle in a little bit and slide off the c clips. I've herd that it is pretty common for these little bolts to be broken on in these 8.8" rear ends. Luckly mine wasn't broke, although it was very tight, so I'd recomend using a 6 point socket or box end wrench to break it loose.... I think its 8mm if I remember correctly:

Here are the little C clips that you'll pull out to get the axles loose:

I forgot to take a picture of the axles after I pulled them out, but here they are wrapped up in garbage bags later on...... (SSHHHH don't tell my wife I "borrowed" some of her fancy garbage bags )

Then I'm left with pretty much just the E-brakes and backing plates to remove:

Here I got the E-brakes removed, on to the backing plates, and then the other side.

I'll be replacing the both wheel seals and bearings, and probably will throw a new pinion seal in also, because it looks like it was leaking just a tad bit.......

I'll post some more pictures when I get time to get back out to the garage again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.