Hot Rod Forum banner

got an 84 riviera i am unsure what to do with.

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hotrod_Chef 
#1 · (Edited)
so ive had this car for a couple years now its an 84 Riviera all original old man owned 116k miles sat out in the country in a barn for about 8 years parked and i went out with the car trailer and brought it here straight from inside the barn.

ive been trying to sell it cheap or trade it for an old chevy truck beater running or not, or something, but have alot of tire kickers but nothing happens.
not worth taking to the shredder because its only 70 a ton for scrap now and the shredder is an 80 mile round trip from here.

and theres very few parts on it that are the same as other gm cars, just the steering box and wiper motor and rear drums and not much else. so thats much more incentive to junk it either.. hm,m..

ive owned probably closer to 250 cars trucks vans and other things over the years since 94 and stripped, cut up, scrapped many of them. you name it ive probably done it, so im pretyt jaded by vehicles at this point in life and still have lots of them from the 50's on up.. and i really only like the 67-up gm trucks in which i "grew up" on and have owned billions of also.

this ones got the 5A head 307 4bbl engine and 325L auto transaxle

will run with new plugs and if i get rid of the CCC q jet that overloads with fuel., have driven it a few times and it rides like a new caddy hmm..

but the driver side door is disassembled because it had a bad power window motor, and also the brakes are real spongy from sitting all this time. and so i dunno.,

i have found some interesting things out though in the time ive had the car. such as the front spindles are the same ones as on the early 80s 4x4 s-10 trucks haha

it seems these cars are not of any interest to ppl haha

i guess they didnt sell many for a reason :p

what would you do?

i dont wanna demo it because i dont have the time to prepare a car anyways, and im not gonna fix it up and drive it would take more money than i want to spend on a car, i am a truck person and not much interested in cars really, except old muscle ones of course :p

i guess it will have to sit longer until something happens some day haha

if i still have it then i guess i will put another carb on it and new plugs and hmm dunno.,

See less See more
#3 ·
matt167 said:
it is a bit beat for a '84, but they didn't make many Rivi's in the 80's.. and the 80's GM big cars are popular with the lowrider and DONK crowds.. I'd put it on Ebay, no reserve with a fair value to start it.. it'll sell if it does run and drive
That's a decent looking car and some good advice. Generally I'd say smash it, I don't much like any cars built after 1972, but the Rivi's are good looking cars.

#5 ·
rivieras are great cars

I would say put it on ebay or in a local auto and rv magazine if you have it, even in beater condition you could get 1500 or so out of

I know i have seen a riviera in the michigan auto and rv magazine before from i believe 1981 and they only had it in the magazine for 1 week, guy that bought it paid 3000 dollars and travelled 6 hours to get it and it was a 200,000 mile car

so sell in a magazine it wont likely take longer than a few weeks to sell

#6 · (Edited)
aftr 1972 ahahaha funny :)

well i ended up selling it to a buddy who junks cars(just like i was doing for a while there when prices were sky high last year..)- for 50 bucks, the radiator out of it for my 78 pickup, and a good one year old battery.

gone

already shredded and on the way to china on a boat to be a new car or whatever.

how it works i guess.

hmm.,............

#8 ·
yeah it could have been

but its one of those things

yet another one came and gone

bene this way for so many years

have had billions

was just another one

but damn i shoulda saved so many parts from it

just like all the others in the past years hmmm

its a sickness, a curse,.

ahha

look at this one i had last year i couldnt even give away, 85 cutlass 4 door mint condition inside and out and low miles, i hauled it to the shredder after alot of advertising it for sale for dirt cheap basiclaly giving it away, and th eonly thing i saved from it was the power steering pump setup and the distributor ahaha:

ppl love these cars, until its time to give up a little cahs for them

then poof! theyre gone! whered they go ??

haha

so they all go to the shredder
and well its been this way for well... ever haha

the rusted beaters that still run good are the ones that dont get shredded

the mint ones needing a few minor things are the ones that get put into the shredder complete and totaly wasted ahah

this is how it works! lol

run the rusted beaters forever

kill all the nice ones.

and it will always be this way! lol

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/fast68/randyspastvehicles/?start=40

#11 ·
just look at the deusenberg model x jay leno bought

he got wind of one in california and went to check it out guy bought it drove it for all of 5k miles then parked it where it sat for decades until jay found it

I dont remember exactly but the car sat for like 60 or 70 years took a little work but they got it fired up with the same engine that was in it when it was parked no replacing anything to start it up just gas and oil and i think maybe the battery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.