Got a cam question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Got a cam question

I am building a 496 and want to know what would be a good strip/ occasional street cam would be? I was looking at comp cams extreme energy 286r mechanical roller cam, would that be a good fit? havent picked out my heads yet either so any advice on that would be cool too. I am shooting for 10.5 to 1 compression. 3.73 gears.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Car? weight? Manual/auto? Stall speed? Use? Engine size? Desired RPM's? Flat or roller lifters? You need to figure all of this into a choice. Better to have the cam manufacturer tell you what you need...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Agreed, you MAY be "putting the cart before the horse". Establish exactly what you want the car "to do", how much "budget" you have and which "direction" you want to go with heads. 10.5:1 with iron heads is "too high" for 93 octane gas. It's okay (marginal) with aluminum.

That cam is a good one. It will require "rectangular" port heads, though, to fully use the RPM capability. A well-ported set of oval-ports would wotrk, as well, but may not flow the "volume" needed by the big engine.

We use Comp solid rollers in MANY street engines. Use restrictors and everything will be "happy".

FWIW

Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

That depends on what your definition of "good street/strip" cam may be. For me personally, I will run a big cam and have a nasty lope, and i'm perfectly ok with that on the street. 496 is a lot of cubes to feed. Depending on what heads you have you could make yourself a 700hp screamer or a 500hp cruiser. I'm partial to AFR stuff, because they are always right at the top or near the top in performance and their machining is top notch. This would make a great street/strip combo:

496 cubes
AFR 305cc Magnum cylinder head:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFR-2100/

^^those heads flow 368cfm for a somewhat small port, which is exceptional. That "roughly" translates into 725hp-CAPABLE. Meaning they flow enough to support that kind of power.

Roller cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-11-692-8/

^^ that cam will be a touch on the wild side, but nothing too crazy. It will have a noticeable lope and make some good power to 6500. With a performer rpm manifold a good carb, a good tune, i'd put money that this combo would make north of 600hp and be 100% streetable.

A bigger cam 25x/26x on a 108 with a Super Victor and a bigger carb would get you near the 700hp mark but you'd need a 4000rpm converter to cruise with it.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Its a gbody 85 elcamino. about 3000 lbs quick performance 9inch rear havent picked the spool or gears, thinkng 3.73. th400 for tranny with transbrake and full manual valve body. What I mean by street/strip is something that sounds really nasty and is borderline on the street. Thanks for the help guys. I will be running aluminum heads.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.