Hot Rod Forum banner

Got a cure for face mask fogging glasses?

16K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
This is something I've fought for years and never been able to remedy. When I wear a face mask (either a simple paper dust mask of a more elaborate cartridge type mask) and have my glasses on (which is almost all the time), I inevitably get air coming out the top of the mask and fogging my glasses. Sort of a constant pain in the rear to wipe them down all the time. Anybody got a fix that works?

#2 ·
I've used an anti fog spray on mine, forgot the name, you can get it at ski shops, motorcycle shops or the drugstore. The best anti fog stuff I used was in a little tub, and you applied it like a wax.

It seemed to help..

Also, using the better dust masks with the foam nose gasket and metal band to form fit it to yer schnoz helps.

3M makes a nice dust mask with an exhale valve, those are the shizz.

If you warm your glasses up some before you put the mask on, put them under your arm or inside your shirt for a spell, they don't condense the moisture out of the warm exhalation breath so bad.

That's what I do, or I just don't wear glasses. ( I shut my eyes when I grind...do my best work in the dark... :pimp: :evil: )

Later, mikey

#6 ·
cboy said:
This is something I've fought for years and never been able to remedy. When I wear a face mask (either a simple paper dust mask of a more elaborate cartridge type mask) and have my glasses on (which is almost all the time), I inevitably get air coming out the top of the mask and fogging my glasses. Sort of a constant pain in the rear to wipe them down all the time. Anybody got a fix that works?
i saw this on TV and tried it and it worked
wipe with tooth paste and rinse off with water and do not rub or dry with towel , let air dry .
i raced dirt track and face shield would fog up , saw others using duct tape blocking breath from hitting shield , to much facial hair for me , no waxing hair removal for me .
we ran up till November and started back racing in first of march , yea it was cold , i'd have frost on inside from fog freezing up .

#7 ·
C-10 said:
...You could try not breathing...
Actually I don't need to quit breathing altogether. I only need to refrain from exhaling. The inhale part of it doesn't cause any problem at all.

I'm heading out to the shop to try it now. If I don't post my findings in the next hour or so...send the EMTs.

(And thanks to the rest of you for the great suggestions. Lots of good options. C-10...you're grounded from now until the Prom.)

#8 ·
cboy said:
Actually I don't need to quit breathing altogether. I only need to refrain from exhaling. The inhale part of it doesn't cause any problem at all.
The solution then is obvious -- only exhale out the other end.

My glasses fog up, too, unless I pinch the mask just below the bridge of my nose (in the soft part). That's with 3m dust masks. I don't use a cartidge-type filter. Any time I need protection from fumes, I use my full hood and air system.

#9 ·
grouch said:
The solution then is obvious -- only exhale out the other end.

Great, I'm the member downwind of that. Thanks for nothing, grouch...

I've heard shaving cream (foaming type) wiped on then off does the trick. Might not be much help though if cboy isn't revived soon....

In a while, Chet.

#10 ·
cboy said:

I'm heading out to the shop to try it now. If I don't post my findings in the next hour or so...send the EMTs.

(And thanks to the rest of you for the great suggestions. Lots of good options. C-10...you're grounded from now until the Prom.)

as it been a hour ??

Dibbs on the red rod!!!

Rain X anti fog works until you get a lot of condensation & then wipe it off then you have to re apply it works on Googles & windshields with no defrosters.

Man if I had a dollar for every time I endorsed rain X id be rich BEEEtch

I thank you. :D

R :thumbup:

#11 ·
Glycerol also known as glycerine or glycerin is the ingredient in soap, shaving cream and toothpaste that stops the steaming of glass. You can get it at the drug store.

When I was a kid my dad used it on the inside of the car windows to stop them from fogging. It was much cheaper than frost shields. For those of you who don't know what frost shields are/were (not sure if they still make them); they are pieces of clear plastic with a gasket on the edge that are glued to your window. The air space between the cold glass and the frost shield is enough insulation to stop the moisture from condensing.

Cboy - perhaps you can make up some frost shileds for your glasses.

I hope the EMT's got there in time.

#13 ·
cboy said:
Don't laugh, this does work.

A couple of lifetimes ago when I was about 12 years old, I got interested in skindiving. The facemask would have a tendency to fog up. I found an article in "Skindiving" magazine that said to take a raw potato, cut it in half and then rub the inside of the potato against the inside of the glass facemask to prevent it from fogging up. I tried it and it does work. I don't know whether it would work on the lenses of your glasses unless they are actually made of glass.

#15 ·
Thanks for ALL the good suggestions. I decided to stay away from the "rub on" type solutions (toothpaste, soap, etc) for fear of making the bondo dust problem even worse...plus I figured that every time I wiped off the bondo dust I would also be wiping off the my fog protection. As the alternative I invested $4 in one of those 3M masks with the little exhale deal in the center. Works very well...plus the mask itself is a LOT better than the typical paper mask.

I do have to be a little more careful to keep it safe and clean while I'm not using it so that it doesn't get mashed or filled with crap like most of my paper masks do. Anyhow, the fogging problem seems to be solved...hat tip to Mikey.

#17 ·
chas350 said:
...but man they are not cheap!
It will depend a bit on how long it lasts and in how good of shape I can keep it. If it survives for 3-4 weeks of decent usage I wouldn't be too unhappy with the cost since it works well and seems to do a much better job of keeping my nose and lungs clean.

I also saw another brand (I think it was Stanley) at the big box store where I bought mine that was in the $2 range. Figured I'd try the 3M first and then maybe the cheaper brand later for comparison purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.