Hot Rod Forum banner

Got a ding on my 34

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
Coming back from Saturday morning coffee with the others in our club and an oncoming car slung a good sized rock at me. I throught for a moment it was going to come through the windshileld but it hit my four piece hood.:mad:

Trying to decide if I should file a claim with Hagerty or just go ahead and fix it. I am not too good at spot painting and the thought of repainting the left top hood panel is not too appealing.

Vince

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear that Vince, you gotta hate it when that happens. Is that a ti coat on your car or base clear? It's a fairly dark color so doing a blend and clearing the panel would be not to tough a job, even if it is a tri coat, dark color aren't near as intimidating as light colors.

Ray

#8 ·
Well Vince, you have several things going for you, the fact that it's bc/cc and not a tri color, it's dark and where the chip is. As mentioned, because of where it is and not on a flat panel makes the blend that much easier.

If your at all interested (if Hagerty doesn't bump your rates to bad) and need any help or advice, let me know, I'll help wherever I can.

Yes Bob, I probably could fix it...think it's closer to a 2,000 mile drive though and Hagerty might look down on that big a road trip...LOL.

Ray

#9 ·
I may attempt it anyway. I have some spot painting to do on my door jambs because I am moving my suicide door pins up to where they engage more of the door jamb. Those areas are easy to repaint as I have a very definite break line in the body where I can mask off.

Vince

#13 ·
do you have paint left over? with a little touch up and some skill you maybe able to just hide it . i did a vette my buddy got with like 20 or 30 nicks. i used a paper match end , not the part that lights. Dabbed it on and buffed it out nice and slow. when he picked it up. he found only 3 spots that he could remember .

#25 ·
Just want to pass along a little information about my suicide door locks. When I was building the car I never could get the solenoid operated door locks to operate with the Dakota Digital door lock controller so I gave up and was just using them manually. Well since I have been moving them I decided to revisit the Dakota Digital door lock controller. Turns out the solenoids on the door locks were bad, both of them. They are made by Rocky Hinge so I emailed them and asked what new solenoids would cost. $50 plus shipping for two of them.:pain: I started searching around and went to a car stereo installation shop to see what they had. They had some but were of a different design and I wasn't sure that they would work. Returned home and got online to allelectric.com and found some for $5.50 each for a total of $18 plus shipping. I figure what the heck I can take a chance on them working for $18. They required drilling new mounting holes on the lock bracket but work perfectly. So if your suicide door lock solenoids ever quit working do not go to the manufacturer for replacements or even to a local stereo shop.

Vince

#29 ·
Finally got around to doing something about my hood ding. It has been a very hectic couple of months. My mom was real sick and in a nursing home and the wife and I had to keep running back and forth when she would take a turn for the worse. She finally passed last week and we have some decent weather for the next couple of days so I am getting after it. The plan is to hang masking sheeting from the garage ceiling and make an enclosed impromptu paint booth. I am going to rebase the entire section of the hood so I do not have to mess with spot painting. So far I have sanded the area down to bare metal. I was surprised at how little the dent actually was. This shot is the first coat of primer and has not been wet sanded yet.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.