Got Gas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 AM

Last journal entry: tools
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got Gas

What the hell is going on with the gas going up so much,I feel bad saying anything,you guy's in California are paying how much now,$5 a gallon. I just don't under stand,are these guy's not rich enough. I don't usually say much about this gas price gouging,but yesterday I filled up my Mazda truck took $56.00 to fill it up.Something wrong hear guy's, My drive to work is about 27 miles or so,I guess I drive around 60 miles a day and without saying how much my pay check is trust me nothing to brag about,don't get me wrong I'm glad I have a job but I could almost flip burgers at Hardees two miles up the street and come out the same. I wonder how much the gas companys would loose if no one bought gas for one day,What's the lowest ya'll have ever seen,for me I remember seeing 65 cents.I'm done

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

right out of college, 1971, for me it was $0.35/gal. Oil crisis it went to $.50/gal, we all gagged, I sold my Camaro and bought a Vega!!! Now that was a knee jerk reaction if there ever was one.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well Chris...this is a topic near and dear to my heart...and "jdsaengine"....I, as well, bought a Vega...(Kept the Firebird for weekends and pay days though).

Remember when a small block engine (doesn't matter about the manufacturer) would give you 23 -27 miles per gallon on the highway pushing a 4,000 pound plus car. You could work on them with a butter knife, dad's crescent wrench and a pair of rolled up sweat socks. Then in the early to mid 70's we had a fuel crisis and we became environmentally aware. Catalytic converters and pollution pumps pumps where the order of the day. You open the hood and with the electronic ignition, 347 extra vacuum hoses and more feet of extra wiring than Wilt Chamberlain had women, we collectively saved the environment and dropped down to 13 miles per gallon driving down hill on a nice day with a tail wind. I could never figure that one out. How could we use more gas and have less emissions, less power and to top it all off the big 3 North American car manufacturer's stopped designing cars every year, they just regurgitated the last years model by adding a vinyl roof and or an extra molding on the bumper cover? As mentioned by "jdsaengine", gas prices went from 35 cents a gallon to 50 cents in 1973, stabilized for for a few years and here we go again.

I filled up on Monday at $1.25 a liter for Bronze "quality" gas (a liter is about the size of an American quart), so we are paying $5.00 a US gallon. My wife's car has an 18 gallon tank...do the math...$90.00 to fill it up with the lowest grade of fuel possible.

When will it end...or will it. My local filling station has 16 pumps, open 24 hours a day and you almost need to phone ahead and get an appointment to buy gas.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

we should extract our own oil and stop depending on foreign countries for our demand. What these green turds in office don't mind is sky high gas prices. High prices for gas is part of their envision, I hate to say.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

You are right my friend,I remember years ago a friend of mine his mom had some type of Ford don't know what model.She took it to the Ford dealership in town for oil change and tune up,she picked the car up and was on her way.A week went by and she said her car was getting bad gas mileage her husband looked under the hood ans saw that the carbarator had been changed,he called up to the shop and asked why it was changed,the guy told him there was know charge for the new carbarator,that the factory put on some type of experimental carbarator that was not to be used. Her gas mileage droped from around 20 mpg to 13mpg, I never heard any more about that,If it is a lie he told it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

You are so right tech.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Last journal entry: A little cancer
Last photo:

Supply and demand. Look at any mall, wal-mart, etc parking lot anyday. Do our wives, girlfriends, mom's etc really need to be out burning gas everyday?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Yeah, it's all them damn women, it's their fault!

Brian
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Your are right we live about 7 miles from the store,when she go's to the store she really trys to stock up to keep from going back and forth,luckly her magnum gets good on gas,my truck dose good and when I put the flathead in the 31 with the five speed that thing will good to
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

The lowest I have paid for gas was during a gas war in our little town and we had to dig deep as gas was .11 cents a gallon, down from ,19 cents. But that was a few years ago.

We get less oil from over seas than we have ever gotten, a the fracking to get oil cost a ton, tha's why oil is going up plus like someone said supply and demand. When you go into a gas station and all the pumps are full thats a good reason.

Bob
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

Come on Bob, you know it's all those women buying groceries that's doing it!

Brian
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang16 View Post
Supply and demand. Look at any mall, wal-mart, etc parking lot anyday. Do our wives, girlfriends, mom's etc really need to be out burning gas everyday?
I can't believe you just said that...LOL...Our gas prices are high because women go to Wal-Mart...Well maybe your right...the price is set by Government and no doubt they have a secret agent checking how many wives, girlfriends and moms are flooding into those parking lots...I drove to Wal-Mart on Tuesday, I guess I should have walked but, seeing it was on my way home from picking up parts, maybe it doesn't count.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

It's like everything, we are a wasteful nation and we have gotten use to having anything we want, we are willing to buy it, thus the manufacturer raises the price to where he feels we are still willing to pay it. Basic economics that most every other country on earth's economy has ran on.
A fish head in a village would be priced the same way.

When we are willing to pay $200 a month for our tv channels, where everyone in the family has a $200 phone in their pocket with a $100 a month bill, where everyone has a late model car with a $200 a month payment, we have a bed room for every kid in the family along with a big mortgage payment. What do we expect to happen to prices of a MUST have like fuel?

And what a lot of people forget is THEY are the "we", I am the "We", WE spend more money now than ever before, a family spends more than ever.

This is what interstate 580 looks like that goes from the SF bay area where I live and work out to the "valley" where all the people HAD to live being they weren't ok with living in a little house like mine. They HAD to have a big house and they were cheaper out in the Valley, so out they moved.

We are talking commutes of 70-90 miles is common. I have two guys working with me who live 60 and 70 miles from the shop. Think about that, they are burning four or five gallons of gas a day to get to work, I use a gallon every day and a half and my car only gets 15 miles to the gallon!

Back when gas was $1 a gallon that freeway was half as wide and no traffic!

Brian
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:

We are now an exporting country..
If companies here can make more money selling oil on the open market..how do you make them sell it here for less..?

This is a free market country..but some folks don't understand. Blame who you wish..but markets are driven by profits..

We produce more does not equal lower prices..but more sales..here or wherever the companies want to sell for most $$
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Up here in Canada the price just took another jump. Works out to $5 a US gallon.

What I don't understand here is, if I drive to a little town south of me, gas prices are consistently 40-50 cents a gallon cheaper. How do the prices get decided on? Also, further north where the freight costs have to be higher, it's often cheaper. Supply and demand I suppose.

They're pushing for a pipeline from the Alberta oil sands to the west coast so they can sell the oil to Asia. At the moment it can only be sold to the US at a 30% discount from regular crude prices. If they get this pipeline to the west coast, watch for a price jump again down there. Especially if Obama nixes the Enbridge pipeline!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.