Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Got a Lokar shifter? Check the nuetral safety...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Really? I'm complaining because the Lokar nuetrals safety switch is awkard to adjust and doesn't work when it's needed. I'm the first to admit that I was the guy leaning inside the truck turning the key (to what I thought was simply to the "Run" position, when in reality I'd left it in "Run" while working on the gas gauge issue), but I certainly place equal blame for the truck ending up wrapped around a 4" pole set in concrete on the nss, part of the shifter, allowing it start in "Drive". The switch was adjusted per Lokar instructions when I installed it. It's finicky to adjust, the detents are small, and the whole thing flexes a little as it moves through it's travel. Is it normal to check, re-check, and re-adjust this? They may "...painstakingly stand behind any installation..." when you "...discuss with them...", but my truck has thousands of dollars damage from that switch not working as it should.

As a capper, last night, after I could go out and look at the truck, when
CAREFULLY positioning the shift lever in gear, it will only start in "Park" and "Nuetral". Discuss that.

It's an ACCIDENT man, and it was caused by two things, me, doing something I shouldn't have, and a Lokar shifter switch not working as it should. The switch is supposed to be a fail-safe for human error. I, and anybody else who uses one, depends on it to prevent damage and injury when the user makes a bone-headed move, like forgetting we've moved the shift lever to work on the dash, and then forgot the key was left "On".

I'm saying DON'T TRUST A LOKAR NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH. You can defend them all you want, but it's poor design, I won't depend on it, and I'm urging others who have one not to either. It's one thing to have it function as it should at an NSRA inspection, or when CAREFULLY positioning the lever in it's detents, but in daily use, it's dangerous.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Why complain about Lokar at this point? They have painstakingly stood behind any installation, instruction comment or part failure when I have DISCUSSED with them. And again, and until you bench check that part, made by an outside supplier of theirs or again adjust the switch with the supplied tool, there is no complaint. There is another general issue with their shifters, but not the neutral start switch.