Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Got a Lokar shifter? Check the nuetral safety...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I realize that some of you believe that this is totally my fault, and that's fine. It's easy to armchair quarter back. I just stopped a buddies shop who happens to be one of the NSRA Safety Reps for SW lower MI. They look at LOTS of cars during inspections, and it's his teams position to recommend to EVERY car owner who has a Lokar or Gennie shifter to bypass the stock switch, and replace it with a GM or Ron Francis switch on the trans at the shift arm. He runs a Lokar in his '34 Cabriolet with the switch bypassed and a Ron Frances on the trans for this very reason.

According to him, a large number of cars FAIL at inspection for this, much to the surprise of the owners, who think their car is protected. He further told me that NSRA has been pressuring Lokar to address this without success. Nobody has evidently been killed, so it's not a big enough problem to address. He said he wasn't aware of anyone's car being damaged as mine has, but there are surely others.

So, you can bust my chops all you want, say I didn't adjust it properly or tighten the mounting bolts, but if you've got one in YOUR car, don't use the switch on it. That's NSRA's stance, not just mine. I'm trying to save YOU the experience I'm having right now, not just trying to lay blame.

Brian