Got new shifter problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Got new shifter problems

Well i finally got arround to swaping out the broken shifter cable in my 71.
I went with a beefier racing series cable from B&M for their megashifter.
Problems right from the getgo, the hole i cut in the floor to make it fit was a bit too small, and the cable was way too rigid to make it work, so i widened the hole a bit not much of a problem there.
The cable is again too long the stock one was 5 ft and it was looped under the car to make it fit, so i ordered a 4 ft length.. still much too long, so i just say screw it and loop it again (i know itll wear out faster).
The pull on it is just a bit shorter than the last one so when i went to mate it to the tranny i used the hole on the furthest left like the instructions told me to.
Cable wouldnt reach...
Screwing arround with that little end cap thing with the codder(sp) pin in it i got it to reach by pulling the lever on the tranny just a bit towords the shifter and then sliding the thing into place.
But now the end piece for the cable is only holding on by like 4-5 threads.
Finally after screwing arround with the nuts i got it to work just barely.

SO i take it for a test drive, shifts a bit hard into reverse, neutral is a ton easier, drive works easy as well.
Downshifting from 3-2-1 manually is ok until you get to 1, it makes a not so pleasant noise kinda like a grinding/whining noise almost, very hard to discribe.

Cant hear it at all in 2-3 just 1 when shifted manually.

What could it be? any idea? teanny is a th400

Ill try to make a picture of what im talking abot with the end cap thing with my awsome MS paint skills....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Sounds to me like the detents in the shifter mechanism are not in sequence with the movement of the shift arm. Drive and 2nd must be lined up fairly close but in 1st it sounds like you are not fully engaging the tranny. Try this experiment, put the car in park and pull the cottere pin on the end cap. The end cap should easily slide in and out of the hole on the trans shift lever. With the "end cap" still detached, move the shift at the console to 1st gear and then manually move the shift arm on the tranny to low. Then see if the "end cap" slides easily into the hole on the shift arm. If it doesn't, then you need to adjust the end cap (screw it in or out) until it it easily slides in the hole. Then repeat the above process (disconnecting the end cap each time) and shifting back into Park - and recheck the fit. You need to fine tune the position of the end cap on the cable end until it easily slides in and out the trans shift arm hole in both park and low. In some cases this will require re-positioning the cable where it bolts to the trans pan. Once you have it correct at both ends of the "throw", all the gears in between should engage properly.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Is it a problem if the threaded end only goes about half way through the endcap?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Did you check to see that the cable is installed on the shifter mechanism correctly? When I put in my Megashifter I put the 'mounting ear' of the cable on the TOP side of the shifter mount. It should have gone on the BOTTOM side of the shifter mount. Mine was a TH350 but I had a similar problem to what you describe.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ChevelleAddict
Is it a problem if the threaded end only goes about half way through the endcap?
Is your cable mounted to the trans pan with a bracket that allows you to move the cable forward and back? If so, you should be able to give yourself enough slack in the cable to be able to screw that endcap on a little better. If it is threaded only half way I suppose it could wobble a bit and not provide real accurate shifting.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Yes it is mounted to the trans with a bracket, but there is 0 slack in the line, i needed to adjust it all the way to one side just to get the sheathing to reach the mount on the shifter.
And yes the cable is mounted on the backside of the shifter(side twords the trans)
but again with the cable being thicker i wasnt able to properly slide the cable into the little groove cut into the mounting plate thing, but it IS bolted to the correct spot and dosnt slip off at all.

This setup will probably only have to last me through the summer, because then i will be putting a factory repro console/shifter in.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.