got a pounding HEAD ache!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

You can get new vortec heads from Scoggin dicky chevrolet, already modified for the higher left etc. They deliver them right to your door and no need to involve a local shop. The vortecs are good for a basic build as they create low end torque for a street car. If you use old style sbc heads from the 1960's 9.5 :1 compression may detonate. With vortecs and the newer style chamber you can easily run 9.5 to 1 up to 10:1 without problems if you keep the engine cool with a good fan and radiator (180*) .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cadillacdave1 For This Useful Post:
maxxman04 (02-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM

ok, so picked up the reworked 906's. 3 angle, .525" z28 springs, shaved ever so slightly, just to clean up. cc'd in at 63.8. yea, i always go prepared. only thing i'm not sure of is lock to guide clearance. from what i have read and heard i should be ok. but, i might just cut them down anyway, just to be sure.

e-tecs are out because of cost.
by researching, digging deep, and haggling, i've only got a little over a grand into motor so far. that includes block, ALL machine work and balancing, parts, and such. tight budget. quality is still there, but just not the cost.

also did check with SD, and yes, their price wasn't bad at all for what they do, but still out of budget for me.

so, with all the specs plugged in, i get a 10.15:1 motor. which is a little higher than wanted or expected, but not unwelcome. just have to dial in timing just right.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 PM

ok, so now here's a question. head gasket choice. it was mentioned using a 4.166 with .041 comp thickness. but in looking at all the choices i have, can i use a thicker, bigger bore gasket? fel pros q1044, 4.200 .051 which would yield a 9.8:1. or is going that large of a bore not good?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

a 4.20" gasket is for a 400SBC
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
maxxman04 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM

wouldn't work then? that's what i was afraid of. 4.166 is the biggest? can i use that bore size only thicker, like .045 or .053? the .053 is probably gonna put my squish to high tho.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxman04 View Post
wouldn't work then? that's what i was afraid of. 4.166 is the biggest? can i use that bore size only thicker, like .045 or .053? the .053 is probably gonna put my squish to high tho.
You are chasing a NON PROBLEM 10.20 is fine. You are creating your own headaches.

Verify the valve lift clearance before.....
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
maxxman04 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM

feel like i'm new to this. sorry man. back in the day 10.2:1 on pump gas was almost unheard of. but technology and advancements have come a long way. and the vortecs are supposed to burn effeciently. ok.

i have read that a 4.166 will create a dead zone, but it has also been noted as a tested and commonly used size. so, i'll go with it. greatly, greatly appreciate all your help. by far the most help i've found. thanks everyone.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

use 92 octane and not more than 36deg max timing. If it makes just as much WOT power at 34deg that is all it needs.
Cheap gas will not work in a high perf engine. And you read way too much.

Don;t you think if it mattered that much that the OEMS would make the gasket match the bore, to get low emissions.
Many engines have heads that do not match the bore etc etc.
On a BBC head gasket it is not even round.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 PM

had planned on 32-34 degrees already. also, not used to having a million different size head gaskets. not my first rebuild, but is first "real" build. just trying to get it right the first time. thanks!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxman04 View Post
had planned on 32-34 degrees already. also, not used to having a million different size head gaskets. not my first rebuild, but is first "real" build. just trying to get it right the first time. thanks!!!!
Calculators:
Some use a negative number for a dish or valve relief, some use a positive number. BTW, the same discrepancies exist between various manufacturer's published volumes- some are negative, some positive for a dish or valve relief. Be sure of what the calculator you use calls for, and be sure of what the published figures are as well. Use the same calculator. The one I like is here, it states what to use (- or+).

You are looking to use as thick of a head gasket as possible, while keeping the quench distance within reason.

Dynamic is not voodoo, it can give insight as to whether or not to expect detonation from any particular combination. In your case, if the static CR is 10.15, the DCR is about 8.6:1 using the XE262H-10, which is at the upper end of what's recommended for pump gas.

You are correct on your total timing estimation of ~32 degrees max.

BTW, you do know you'll need self aligning rockers OR guideplates (just not both), and a Vortec intake, right? More on Vortec heads here.

Good luck.

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Calculators:
Some use a negative number for a dish or valve relief, some use a positive number. BTW, the same discrepancies exist between various manufacturer's published volumes- some are negative, some positive for a dish or valve relief. Be sure of what the calculator you use calls for, and be sure of what the published figures are as well. Use the same calculator. The one I like is here, it states what to use (- or+).

You are looking to use as thick of a head gasket as possible, while keeping the quench distance within reason.

Dynamic is not voodoo, it can give insight as to whether or not to expect detonation from any particular combination. In your case, if the static CR is 10.15, the DCR is about 8.6:1 using the XE262H-10, which is at the upper end of what's recommended for pump gas.

You are correct on your total timing estimation of ~32 degrees max.

BTW, you do know you'll need self aligning rockers OR guideplates (just not both), and a Vortec intake, right? More on Vortec heads here.

Good luck.

yea. i ended up getting an rpm performer with the heads. it is in fact a vortec intake. and yea. already ordered self aligning roller tip rockers for vortecs. goin with a 4.166 bore .041 thick head gasket. great info. thanks!!!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.