Got a question about Body work HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got a question about Body work HELP

I have a question, i am restoring an old 63 chevy pickup stepside. I am 16 years old trying to tackle this kindof project that should take a good amount of time but im doing it in short time on a budget. I have spent very very many great pain sweating hours in my truck, to all the guys out there, would you care if your truck didnt have the perfect body but you took pride in what you did and what you could accomplish on my kinda budget and most of all you did it i mean i know it wouldnt be perfect but you tried and succeded, i make about 200 a week working at six flags, not the kinda money i would want to do this but i have to make it work. its going to be my first ride. but what do you all say, you think im crazy for trying to fix it or what???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

body dwork

If it needs a lot of work I would camo it with spray cans and spend the time and money on engine, interion, etc. and I am a grandpa...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Well

HERE IS THE QUESTION YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF . IS THIS SOMETHING YOUR WILLING TO FINISH? WE WERE ALL YOUR AGE ONCE AND ITCHING TO FIX UP OUR RIDES. ITS IN OUR BLOOD WE EAT SLEEP AND DREAM HOTRODS BUT HERE LIES THE PROBLEM. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT TO FIX UP A HOT ROD. 99% OF US HERE HAS STARTED A PROJECT THAT NEVER GOT FINISHED. SOME OF THEM WERE GOOD RUNNING CARS OR TRUCKS THAT WERE TOOK APART ONLY TO NEVER RUN AGAIN IF THIS IS SOMETHING YOU ARE COMMITED AND DETERMINED TO DO THEN I SAY GO FOR IT. DONT BE TO WORRIED IF OTHER PEOPLE LIKE IT OR NOT. EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN OPINION ABOUT YOUR RIDE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD COUNTLESS TIMES ( I WOULDNT DO THAT TO THAT CAR YOU WILL RUIN IT) MY RESPONSE TO THAT IS ( IM BUILDING IT FOR ME AND IM THE ONLY ONE IT HAS TO PLEASE). MY ONLY WORDS OF ADVISE ARE TO THINK THIS OVER VERY HARD AND IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT THAT IT IS SOMETHING YOU WILL FINISH DONT DO IT. YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF SELLING IT TO SOMEONE WHO WILL FIX HER UP AND BUYING A DRIVER WITH THE MONEY. I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.

DRIVE EM LIKE YOU STOLE EM!!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I did one of those as my first project when i was 60...Rules. "Experience is a hard school but a fool can learn in no other." B. Franklin.

It's always good to learn how to do stuff. The tools are reasonably cheap, even a MIG welder is about as much as a cheap laptop. Bondo is real cheap and books on body work are even cheaper.

Manual work builds character. Problem solving is more addictive than peanuts.

If you don't go for shiny stuff parts for old Chevies are real cheap. And you get to make interesting new friends, who are covered in grease.

Go nuts, and remember, it's only a truck. Paint it with a brush if you have to.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:

In my opinion you areon the right track. Get that truck running , steering and stopping well and drive it. You can always make it pretty and fast later.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

I agree with all that's said above. The only issue I have is that you are "doing it in a short time on a budget". That does not compute. What's the hurry? If this is your baby, take the time to do it right. But do it one step at a time....affordably. If it's not a vehicle you are willing to devote the time and money to, I wouldn't do much of anything; just drive it.

All of us had a first project. Most all of us had to do it the same way as you are now. Start with the most important things first, the mechanical (brakes, engine, trans, etc.) then work to the outside. As time goes by, you will be making more money, or have a better job; and be able to do more things at a time.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Ditto to the above.
Get it sound mechanically then come back here for paint advice.
There are cheaper alternatives for paint than most realize.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

one of the best things to do is to install a double master cylinder, about $90.00.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

I agree, ditch the suicide brakes. What engine does it have? 3 speed?
Definately get all the mechanicals ironed out first, you can always do the bodywork a little at a time and drive it in primer for awhile. Nice wheels and tires and a good stance can also make a ratty old truck look pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with some wear and tear showing if it looks solid and runs strong IMO. Have fun with it!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Your headed in the right direction starting off with a older truck. Seems like everyone has a new one now a day but you've already got a perfect starter for a custom truck. Now there are a few things that you are doing wrong in my eyes. I wouldn't worry about the money part of it at this time. First thing you need to do is write down what works and what doesn't on the truck. Next go over the safety items, finally the body. Now you do your home work and find all the parts available and get prices. Then the hard part is deciding what order you are going to tackle this project. The key to this is to spread out your project over a period of time. If this is your only mode of transportation, U might want to think about getting a $300 beater that will get you from point A to point B and that's it. Who cares what it looks like or what your so called friends say, because a true friend isn't going to care what your driving because he will know what your working on.

Good luck, and remember First in is last out!
Corey
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

My comments

Agree with almost all said. Although I want to emphasize the order of things.

#1. Safety. Nothing is worth risking your life.

Brakes - research and find out the best way to upgrade your brakes. That double master cyl. that was suggested was a good start! Ask questions on this board for specific suggestions on this and then make your plan and list of parts. I would make this your first effort.

Tires - while tires can blow or go flat at any time, reduce your risk by making sure you have good tires on there. I find the cheapest place in my area for tires is Sam's club. Not only will you lessen your chances of a blow out, but get better traction and steering. Look at the ratings label and get the best all season tire you can afford.

Steering - a little less critical than above, but very important, especially on a rainy day or at high speed. Make sure all is well here.

If there's not an auto shop class at your high school, then find out of there's a night school for adults available in your county to learn auto repair. You can learn how to do things and get access to special tools, facilities, etc.

Put the body work off until later, as long as no bare metal is exposed and rusting. Verify though that the frame is solid and not severely rusted.

Finally, make sure you make it well known in all of your posts your age and the fact that this is your first project. You might be surprised at how many parts might be available for the cost of shipping if guys happen to have a spare part in the garage

Steve
Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Oh, and take a good look at the rear trailing arms.. (i think thats the right name) Once the bed wood rots out, the two halves of the things that hold the rear axle in place accumulate graudoo, and start to rot out.. I dont know what would happen if one breaks, and don't want to either..

Also i spent a lot of money on Brothers, which is good, but i found that the local body parts store had all that stuff like fenders cheaper, and you save on shipping.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

My first project was back in 1966, I was 16. I had a 1960 Chevy that I bought for $400.00 from a old lady. Well, it got wrecked. Not my fault, but the whole "C" clip was wasted. Back then I made $1.41 an hour working for A&P grocery store.

To make a long story short, I rebuilt the car in the Auto Shop at the school. A complete engine rebuild, new interior in green and white tuck and roll. All the body work and new two tone paint done by myself. The car looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

So yeah, you can do it. Shop for parts, ask lots of questions and take your time.

My 1946 project

The beginning of the 46 project

By the way, I live in Cleburne, TX
Frank
Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Serpico

Thanks for your post! I just posed this question on the forum but I'm a new kid on the block as a member. I didn't really know what area to go to for such an answer.

In switching out a single master brake cylinder and replacing it with a dual one, what all should be considered to ensure that it was done right and it's safe?

I cannot thank you enough in advance for your help!

Serpico

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnevsky
one of the best things to do is to install a double master cylinder, about $90.00.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

If it doesn't leak, and all the lines are tight, you should be good to go.. What is done, is that there is a brass block where the lines are routed to the front and the back.. that should be replaced with two unites one for the front and one for the back. then a line from each side of the master cylinder goes to each one of the new blocks..

Have a competent mechanic look over the work, triple check for leaks, and if you develop a spongy pedal or lose fluid from the master cylinder, recheck everything..

Stay in the flat lands... ;-)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.