Got ripped off bad, now recovery questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got ripped off bad, now recovery questions

Someone broke into my locked garage 5 days ago. They took a mint restored Scout, welding equipment and tools. My built offroad Ranger was parked in front of the house, they tried to take that also but only destroyed the ignition lock befor they gave up.

My tools were mostly Snap on, some Mac's too. I made a list of just the tools and rollaway and the total came to just under $40,000. I started buying tools in 1972, my rollaway was maybe $500 than, now it's $2,200. I almost feel like a rip off artest giving this list and prices to the insurance company. At first I figured I lost maybe $20,000 in everything but it's going to be 3 times as much.

I had collector car insurance on the Scout so I'm covered their.

The question is for you guys that have gone through this, how did your insurance company handle your claim?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Fortunately I've never been ripped off that bad but I think it's every car guy's nightmare. I can't offer any meaningful advice but I hope the bastards get caught, rot in hell and that you get most if not all of your stuff back.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I don't even have doors on my garage right now.........house didn't have them when I bought, 3 weeks ago......they are on order.........my tools and stuff are sort of hidden in there.....................No one has touched anything.

I'm glad there are mostly honest people around here.

I will feel better however when the doors get installed.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Got ripped off bad,now recovery questions

Never had to claim on a burgalry, BUT..., We have pictures of everything,(and I mean EVERYTHING< house, garage, tools, contents of out buildings) 'cause many years ago an insurance adjuster / friend advised me to do so. Keep 'em in a fireproof safe, and my kids have copies(in case the safe comes up missing). I didnt realize thieves could find Zillah, I grew up in Wapato.Oh yeah, we do update the photos as things get added.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 AM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I got ripped off soon after I built my garage seven years ago. They took a lot of stuff, mostly air tools, mig welder and stud welder. All my insurance required was a list and replacement value of the tools.

I was honest about what was taken and was not questioned about it. I guess I was lucky. I imagine some adjusters can be a lot more scrutinizing. They refuded me the depreciated value until I bought a new tool, after which they gave me the difference so that I was refunded in full.

Now I engrave all my tools with the six numbers of my birthday and on the more valuble ones I also engrave my name . Then I take a picture of them with the engraving visible.

I'm think the culprit was someone I knew. I had a friend who hung around some shadowy people who knew where I lived and what was in my garage.

Poncho - get that door up soon. You never know. I had my man door up but the frame was not snug to the garage opening. My door was locked, but they were able to pry it open with the play in the frame. I kicked myself for putting off stuffing and screwing in pieces of OSB to shim the frame.

Last edited by pigjamelectric; 10-29-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

I had em drive a large truck thru the overhead door. Then they spent a good part of the day loading up tools and parts. They couldn't get the electric hoist off the trolley so they cut the chains off it. Large english wheel, engines, radial and table saws, machine tooling. Total take well over $70,000. My cost.. Total payment from State Farm $1200.00

If you have more tools than the AVERAGE homeowner, you MUST buy a tool rider.. They won't cover garaged vehicles without a policy, "Commercial, Industrial type" tools or auto parts at all.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
If you have more tools than the AVERAGE homeowner, you MUST buy a tool rider.. They won't cover garaged vehicles without a policy, "Commercial, Industrial type" tools or auto parts at all.
True... when my daughter started working for State Farm (processing homeowner claims and seeing what their losses were), she was always on me for how underinsured I was. People just figure that they're covered for everything if they have a insurance policy. The additional coverage doesn't cost much at all... I even have a $2 million liability umbrella now.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Luckily I have never been ripped off that bad. I do have a good size gargae with lots of stuff in it. I have ADT alarm installed. It calls the police if I am not here. With lots of warnings on the windows and doors about the alarm system. ADT installed my alarm system for free if I would sign a two year contract with them. $30.00 a month for monitring, then you get a big discount on your homeowners insurance for haveing a monitored alarm.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Trouble with insurance is, they insist on making huge profits by overcharging for everything and giving you a hard time if you have a genuine claim............

I have been with my insurance company since I was 18 (thats 37 years).......A couple of years ago when the wife had a fender bender, they put our rates up.............They said I could have bought the 1 accident waiver...............of course, it wasn't offered unless you specifically asked for it.

Insurance, being for my home, trailer, and vehicles is my largest single homeowners expense........I won't even start about you poor US guys that can't afford medical....................Insurance is a big scam, but you gotta have it................

Rant over......................
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm like RPM, I've got an alarm system that's monitored. It's tied in to the one on the house. Funny thing is, the alarm monitoring company has called about an alarm twice, both times it was my shop. I got those motion sensor lights also, and both times they called, When I opened the back door, the lights were on bright. Being this close to the border, we've got lights on both garages, front and back of the house, and I'm putting them on the 10x20 shed now.
The updated pictures is a good idea, too.........we'll do that this weekend!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

If you didn't make periodoc updates to your insurance over the years, good luck on getting what you turn in. Maybe if you had pics and proof of everything. But if you just have the basic policy, it will probably state something like $10,000.00 for contents, and if it is an outbuilding, something like $10,000.00 for the structure itself. The Scout will fall under the auto insurance. Every few years we have our adjuster stop to go over our Homeowners policy. At todays prices you cannot replace what you collected over the years. And most people hate to shell out more money, but without insurance you are going to shell out way more than what the policy cost. I would hit all the pawn shops and swap meets though to see if anything turns up.

Kevin
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
Luckily I have never been ripped off that bad. I do have a good size gargae with lots of stuff in it. I have ADT alarm installed. It calls the police if I am not here. With lots of warnings on the windows and doors about the alarm system. ADT installed my alarm system for free if I would sign a two year contract with them. $30.00 a month for monitring, then you get a big discount on your homeowners insurance for haveing a monitored alarm.
I dont mean to be a downer, just maybe something to think about...

My father used to work for a company who supplied ADT. He now works on his own, doing security systems. These "free" systems are, quite frankly, a joke. Unless you have a very tiny house, with 2 entrances, they tend to do diddley.

At least up here, the 'free' system provides minimal coverage, and a high end thief will know that, spot the weak spots, and get in undetected.

The stuff in your garage and house are much for valuable than the $1000 a top notch setup will cost.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.