Got it running today - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 08:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Got it running today

Right now i am in between being happy and being straight pissed.
Today, My friend, his dad and our machine shop worker(friend) came over today.
We got it broke-in, and then he noticed rockers were a little loud but i did a good job on getting them their. So we adjusted them all. Then this is where the badnews happends.
We realize that the #1 cylinder is hot but isn't burning oil or anything off the header. So its getting spark, yes, its getting fuel, yes. Compression, he thinks that my rings are a little funky.
So i am $200 in debt from my carb.
Now i have to have my car picked up and go to the machine shop so they gotta pull my head and readjust my rings.
So i'll go further into debt w/ the machine shop services.
Everything runs real smooth, everything is fine besides the #1 he said i did a h#$% of a job for being my first rebuild and im only 15.
78' 350 4bolt
Stock vortec heads
XE262
Comp Magnum Roller tips
Crosswind intake
Flowtech 1 5/8 headers
650 double pumper
Mallory HEI
9.35:1 pistons
Reconditioned rods
Stock crank
Rebuilt TH350 w/ a Hughest street master 2300-2500stall

Here's the verdict.
I put a rag into the cylinder w/ a screw driver and when i turned it over it blew it straight out. So i do have compression it seems like. When we pulled the plug out after break-in it didn't have gas or anything.
So heres come guessing
1. Bad intake gasket.
2. Faulty valves on the #1 cylinder.
3. Faulty rings if compression is bad enough i'll check compression tomarrow.

-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Your post has me confused, if it runs okay what makes you or the machinist think something is wrong with it? just because it`s not burning the oil off the header doesn`t mean anything, in most cases some cylinders run cooler than others due to differences in the air fuel mixture, especially with the intake your running. I would run it, do a compression check on the number 1 cylinder, if it`s up to snuff run it, there`s no need to pull the head if there`s nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I agree! Give it a few miles. Its also possible that one of the rockers on #1 is STILL out of adjustment. Maybe your machinist friend got it too tight! Do a compression test on all 8 and see how they show. If #1 is down, recheck the rocker adjustment on it. If its still down, I'd suspect a valve problem first, then rings. Plus I"ve never heard of "re-adjusting" rings????~~ Maybe one is broke, but at this point, I feel its too early to jump in and tear it back down. There are ways to get much closer to the problem with some basic checking first off.

Mark
Old 05-13-2004, 06:33 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Ummm.. huh?

Okay if you are 15, then I'll try to explain it.

If it passes a compression test, then that cylinder is fine. Stuffing a cloth in there is NOT a compression test There is no way to "re-adjust" your rings.

A hot spot? You got me really cornfused. If that cyliner were running lean, it would run hotter than the others, but thats the only reason I would think.

This engine needs to be run in. It needs to be installed and driven for awhile, only then will you know what is wrong with the thing.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:08 AM

what kind of morter is it, and nice you got it runing and not your dad or dad's friends. do the test it sounds like the morter will be fine, look at the intake tooo
Old 05-13-2004, 07:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by little_roder351
what kind of morter is it, and nice you got it runing and not your dad or dad's friends. do the test it sounds like the morter will be fine, look at the intake tooo
What's a morter???

Centerline
Old 05-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Morters? INCOMING!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:53 AM
brains

Last photo:

This is why every motor you build you need to keep a hand written book (basically blue printing). I write down every clearance.
Now I use my digital camera also. Every motor I build has photos of every part pasted into a note book, then I write down all its measurements and sizes. Bearing, rings, pistons, rocker arms, everything gets written down with its size and clearance. Its a very good habit to start and practice. Keep a log of everything you do to the motor even after break in.
When I built my last motor it started to develop a ticking noise, I went back to my book, and noticed that one of the exhaust valves clearance was .002 more then the others, it turned out that this was the problem area.

Documentation is the Key, Your book should have at least 60 photos and 120 pages or your not writing enough down. With my books the left page has the photo's and on the right page has the Cost, where I bought it, when I bought it, who sold it to me, all the dimensions and clearances, copy of receipt, copy of any technical info on the part. Add in the company's tech line and sales lines. I also explain why I used the part. Sometimes you will see 2 or 3 sets of pistons with the same book, for example, installed the first set of pistons, the quench was too much, skirt clearance too large. Turn the page over, you will see New pistons bought quench .035, ect, ect..

Now I know your only 15, and maybe I am preaching here, but I wish someone told me to do this when I was your age. Its a great habit to get into. Not only does it help you find your problems, but adds to the resale value of your motor or car.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
Morters? INCOMING!!!!!!!
MY GOD! Charlie is in the perimeter! CHARLIE IS IN THE PERIMETER!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:30 PM

I will do a compression test tomarrow etc.. I have the wrong intake gasket which i don't know if that could provide a significant difference or not i have a stock chevy one. I need a vortec one.
The header was warm to touch but it wasn't scorching like the others were. I'll post an update after i check intake gasket,compression, rocker-arms..Thanks for the advice.

-Eric
Old 05-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

did you happen to set the valves with the engine running? now, i know that i'm gonna catch it over this one, but here goes. setting rockers with the engine running can be very tricky, and if you aren't very experienced, you shouldn't try it. the best way is to roll it up to tdc #1 firing and mark the balancer with a paint pen at the mark, and then every 90o( three more marks). write 1-8-4-3 on the leading side of the marks(the side going down as you turn the engine clockwise), and 6-5-7-2 on the trailing side. then just adjust both valves on #1, turn to the next mark, adjust both on #8, turn to next... you get the idea. oh, to adjust the rockers, back the nut off until there is up&down movement in the push rod, then tighten until it just is gone, then tighten an additional 3/4 turn.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

Run it a while...

I agree with 87442lover. run it while. let the rings seat and "break in" If you used chrome rings it does take longer to seat. I wouldnt take that head off until you do a compression test. If its low squirt a little oil into the cylinder and retest the cylinder in the compression raises yea it might be the rings if it doesnt change I'd lean towards the valves. did you use new plug wires?? you might not be getting a good spark cracked cap, or cracked plug insulator. Good Luck!!
Old 05-14-2004, 06:36 AM
brains

Last photo:

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by 87442lover
MY GOD! Charlie is in the perimeter! CHARLIE IS IN THE PERIMETER!!!

not nice

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.