Hot Rod Forum banner

Got the shakes

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  m-hauler 
#1 ·
M II front end on a 37 Ford with new balanced tires. Going down the road with no pressure on steering wheel it is fine but as soon as I turn the wheel the slightest bit to the left or right I get a bad shimmy. It will stay as long as there is pressure on the steering wheel to the left or right. Go in a straight line, it goes away. Had it aligned and checked all the nuts and bolts. All looked good. Does this at all speeds. Any ideas?

#3 ·
HEY M: I had a similar problem in my 38 Lafayettte streetrod with Mustang II. One problem that I still have is loose steering u joints( another whole story) but my shimmy problem turned out to be a tire problem. I bought four new tires from one of the tire discount houses and they must have been of questionable quality. I could not balance the problem out and then tires cupped on the inside which made problem worse. Final solution was to upgrade to better tires and problem went away, even with worn steering u joints. You might try going to another tire shop and watch him spin tires on balance machine to see if there is anything fun looking. Nothing worse than driving a street rod with a shimmy. .:pain: DAVE

#6 ·
Put in a new rack and the problem is gone. Bad news is after looking over old rack I discovered shims under cap above steering gears. I took one shim out and the thing tightened rite up. Don't know if this would have taken care of the problem but if someone has loose steering give it a try before you buy a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.