Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Got Smoked
Thread: Got Smoked
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Got Smoked

Well, it finally happened.

Got smoked on the way to work today.

Aside from occasional stop sign to stop sign runs, I don't race much.

Today was different. I was running late to work. (Except I was biking.)

I was biking to work on my beach cruiser, pedaling for all I was wroth in 46 degree weather (which is like hell freezing over by SoCal standards ). This dude sneaks up behind me on his mountain bike flies past me as if I was standing still.

Canít even say he had a weight advantage since he had a bigger backpack than me. And he was pedaling oh so casually, thanks to his 20+ gears versus my only one. Man, those overdrive gears do deliver on the efficiency as well as top end speed. He was wearing shorts, which may have given him an advantage in drag.

So now, I either buy a more performance-oriented bike. Or its time for some mods.

My bike is mostly stock, aside from an after-market cable lock and the lowered seat. Clean title, of course. Complete factory foot-injection. Very low miles.

Iíd like to covert my bike to gas, but itís not legal in California due to smog. Yet ironically its not against the law for me to have as many beans I want in order to have enough protein power for my ride and possibly destroy some nose hairs in the process. And Iím sure Iíll get called a cheater from the competition for not being ďall pedalsĒ.

I suppose I could hide a can of Redbull in my backpack and rig a hose from which I can take a hit when needed. I'll be damned if that doesn't help top end.

I may have to consider weight reduction, but that can take some time, especially during the holiday season when I temporarily suffer from egg-nog addiction. I suppose wearing only one jacket and ankle-high socks from now on will help some.

Iíd like to get a rear-view mirror to avoid any more sneak-ups, but Iím concerned about its effect on drag.

I think Iím maxed out on the wheel size. At 26 ď. Presently running 30 psi of local atmosphere air (cold tires) for optimal launches. Traction is no issue.

I havenít lubed the chain and sprockets, rotated the tires, nor have I done a tune on it, so that might be an issue.

Can I run a sprocket of a large diameter, while maintaining the same lung capacity I have now, and getaway with it? Maybe a double-roller chain for reduced friction? That should see some gains, I would think... Perhaps drop my ET in the 1/8th mile and bump up the trap speed a bit?

Definitely open to suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Beach Cruiser.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	60975