Got some questions about chromed suspension parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Got some questions about chromed suspension parts

Since i live in Malta Europe the only chromed suspension i see is on programes on tv. How are suspension parts chromed? Are they powder coated or chrome plated? Do they last or do they crack when used?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

Chrome and powder coating are two entirely different procedures and result in two entirely different results. Powder Coating is like paint ... it comes in many different colors.

Chrome can lead to hydrogen embrittlement which can crack. I have a completely chromed front suspension under my 32 Ford roadster. It has been on the road for many years ( 52 thousand miles ) and looks as good today as the day I took the parts out of the box from the chrome platers. I did have one of the better known platers do the work. They have a excellent reputation ( Advance Plating in Nashville TN )

Again ... WELCOME ...

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have posted a couple of times in the body section but this is the first time in the suspension section.
Iv'e seen coilsprings chromed, don't they crack when they move?
I am posting for a friend of mine as he asked me these questions.
By the way great lookin chassis!!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

They chrome suspension parts here all the time.

You polish them up and run them through the plating process. Usually a part gets 3 baths. The first bath electroplates the part with copper, to fill imperfections. The next is nickel and is a base for the chrome, then the final is chrome.

Sometimes the chrome does crack, usually because of the prep or plating process, and I know that really critical parts don't usually get chrome plated because it could cause hydrogen embrittlement in steel parts..There are ways to keep from causing hydrogen embrittlement, usually baking the part is required.

Powdercoating is another alternative, cheaper and more durable than many paints.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I live in Norway and in my opinion, chromeplated parts doesn't belong under a car. At least not in this part of the world.

One thing is the front suspension on a fenderless car. That's probably not so bad because it is easy access to the parts. Then they will be washed and polished often enough to keep them nice.
A very different thing is motor & transmission oil pans, rear axle stabilizer rods, rear axle coilovers etc.

Maybe there are lots of bad chrome-platers in Norway. I don't know. But I've seen too many chrome plated, rust pitted suspension parts under enthusiast cars, to make me wanting to have the same.

For me there are stainless steel or paint/powder coating under the car.
Paint don't last forever of course, but rust pitted paint can be fixed in the garage.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.