Got a story for ya...listen carefully.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Got a story for ya...listen carefully....

Imagine one week from now, an alien ship lands in your community and you are closed off from the rest of the world. The aliens are friendly at first, but then they slowly take over your community, destroy your schools, churches, social institutions, banks and work places. You have no access to technology (computers, telephones etc.) All forms of transportation are cut off.

You have to obey and live by their laws and rules. Your children are sent far away for an intergalactic education program. You have no further contact with them. The aliens want to teach you to be like them. You cannot work or practice your cultural or religious beliefs. you are punished for speaking your own language.

You are a conquered nation and must live by their laws and regulations. The aliens provide you with the essentials - food, clothing and medical care but they don't allow you to have jobs or communities like you had before. They create a "HUMAN RACE ACT" designed to control every aspect of your life. You must live by their laws. They confine you to a closed area and don't allow you to move around outside the area without a permit.

1. What do you feel after reading my story?
2. What are the stresses of the above situation and how would YOU cope?

I await your responses and then I'll tell you a little more about the story.....

Chickie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

Sounds like Chuck better hurry and get home.

406chevelle
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Well .... this could be applied, based on your point of view, to any number of situations around the world today. Everything from the Israeli/Palestinian dispute to Iraq, to the plight of the American Indian.

I'm guessing the real reference in this story is to Iraq. Since my views of the inhabitants of that part of the world would definitely be harsher than most people's, I'll keep my views on the rag heads of the middle east to myself and wait to here, "the rest of the story".

Centerline
Old 01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Is it Beer:30 yet?

Last photo:

Hmmmm This one made me think a little..

1. after reading your story I couldent feel anything i was thinking too hard

(considering you said "MY COMMUNITY" im going to use americans so please dont take any offence)

2 The stresses afterwards IMO would be monumental
I think Americans as a Whole dont deal well with change. espically something as drastic as this
2.A
I dont think the people in my comunity would stand for it (Considering were all military) and would fight tooth and nail to prevent this from happening

2.B
The people not really having an Idea of whats happening why its happening whats going to happen next would be to overwhelming for anyone to bear

(my train of thought derailed)

I personally would be pi55ed Ive been in the military for 13 years and if someone decided oneday to come in and tell me i had to act like them talk like them stop believing in everything that i believe in it, wouldent fly
I would probably try (considering this is a story) to try and form some type of underground Milita (ive seen to many movies) Considering we basically have to be them, learn as much about them as i could (there has to be a weakness) not imediatly this would be over a period of time

then i would get in my f-15 and fly it up into there big lazer thing-ama-bob
Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM

The story seems to mainly relate to the Native peoples, but it also can been related to what happened in South Africa and much more of Africa for that fact. Also it can be related to what happened when the Jewish People were moved into Isreal, or on a much lesser degree, what is going on with the changes in government in Iraq now that it is occupied.

In any case, it would not be very good at all, but yet the one side never sees what they are doing as wrong, because they are not the ones being damaged by the actions.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Henry
Old 01-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Is it Beer:30 yet?

Last photo:

UUUHHHMMMM...maybe i read to much into it...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

I think I've seen that movie...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Keep it coming...I want to hear more...then I'll give up the rest of the info...

Chickie.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Hey least the kids get a free education ...Jk but really i will post some real thoughts once i think about it more, just had to do...i mean HELP my g/f with a college assignment, that was within my expertise.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Alien invasion?

I did not like the story. I would be angry and want my freedom back. I would need to resist silently and try and push the Aliens out of my community by getting the upper hand on them. What gives Chickie??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:58 PM

Hummmm, I thought those Canadians were acting kind of weird lately.
Jack
Old 01-20-2004, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Soooo....I guess you're all curious...

The above is actually a true story with a few changes to make it more generic, and no, I did not write it.
Today and tomorrow I am involved in a workshop on Aboriginal Awareness as part of a continuing education initiative within the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. My department has mandated that we all participate in certain courses to help us better deal with the stresses of our jobs....
That said, the story I told you actually occurred and was instituted by the Canadian Government as their way of "educating" the aboriginal children. The government decided about 120 years ago that the aboriginal people of Canada did not know how to raise their children and therefore decided that at the age of four all children born to aboriginal parents would be taken to what were called "residential schools" or boarding schools.
The children were not permitted to speak their native tongue, practice their religious beliefs or even talk to their siblings who may be attending the same school. Contact with parents was minimal and mail was censored. Children were kept in these "schools" until the educators in charge deemed them ready for the outside world and returned them to parents who were strangers and who were vastly changed from the parents these kids remembered.
The children were all given chores to do, and punishment for not doing them up to the standards of the school was a beating. Punishment for trying to run away was a beating. Punishment for speaking their native tongue was a beating. Punishment for speaking to a sibling was a beating.
Methods of humiliation were used to keep the kids in line. Cutting off a girls long curly hair, or shaving a boy's head almost bald. Kids were known by numbers, not names....many were sexually molested by the nuns and priests that were supposed to be running these schools for the good of the children.
while I watched this video, I couldn't help but cry for these kids and these parents from whom so much had been taken.
The result of all of this? Children were returned to alcoholic parents who became that way out of despair of seeing their children ripped away from them. Children who never knew a parents love and guidance, trying to be parents themselves and reliving the cycle of abuse over and over again....and a society that looks down on them for what they have become.
The last of the "residential schools" closed down in 1988.

Today was the first time I have ever been ashamed to be a Canadian.

Chickie.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

Chickie,
That's absolutely chilling. Ya know what got me the most though?

Quote:
The last of the "residential schools" closed down in 1988

1988? I can't fathom that kind of abuse going on to begin with, let alone knowing it only ended like 15 years ago. Seeing that video will surely impact you for a very long time.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of work you do, but I'm assuming you have a teaching career? What ever it may be, you're making a great contribution..............by learning AND educating people on stuff like this. I appreciate the fact that you're sharing your knowledge with us. Don't be ashamed of your heritage. *You*, as well as your family, and even the people you know didn't do this. Any country is gonna have stories where people look at the history and think "Wow, that's pretty messed up". But you're guilty of absolutely nothing. Hotrodders love ya!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

...and I'm still paying for it...and so will my kids and so on. My mothers parents were driven out of the Ukraine, you don't hear them *****ing and holding out their hands.

It's a nice story Chickie but it could be applied to a hundred other predicaments around the world, why should I as a Canadian be held financially and morally responsible for what happened 120 years ago? Every other country on the face of the earth at thge time killed their aboriginals instead of paying for the land (however little that was)and yet we still attempted assimilation (however misguided it was), I am supposed to feel guilty for this?

Tough sh1t I say, get on with living life in the present or get busy dying over the past.

BTW all kids at that point in time got a beating for not following the rules, didn't matter who you were. I wonder how many of these people actually were poorly treated, have a look. Sounds like a tribe of people jumping on the bandwagon if you ask me.

You know...now that I think about it...one teacher hit me with a large pink eraser in elementary school as punishment for talking in class. Everyday that I am not rich I think about the pain and suffering I endured under the vicious school system and the tyranny of the teachers. There were lots of witnesses too.

Good thing I can read and write now so I can form a coalition to bring those awful "educators" to justice. Sometimes you have to look deeper than what the bleeding heart lawyers want you to believe, the actual proven cases (multiple witnesses) number much less than who was given compensation.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but look at the circumstances, you have a country full of uneducated people who you feel an obligation to teach and train to become productive members of society and the only feasible manner to achieve it is by charging the only institution these people trust...the church...with the task. We are talking the early 1900's here right? So you set up the church and give them and the elders of the aboriginal communities the right to oversee the whole thing and they screw it up in a few instances.

The lawyers like to remind everyone that the aboriginals didn't do the hiring and firing but did anyone aboriginal do anything about it at the time? Nah. Was there a popular uprising of bands against the government and the church? Nah. You must remember the context of the times, these people were next to hunter gatherers and were in danger of being exterminated if they didn't get at least a basic education.

I'm at fault? I don't think so...and I'm still payin.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Uuuuhhhhh...I'm gonna leave you 2 alone to talk now. I'll be outside hanging with the guys in the garage.
Later,
WEIMER

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.