got trans in at last but need help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

got trans in at last but need help.

hi there guys, its me tokaanu the 1 whom put trans in bac da front, firstly thanks 4 all the help to cut it short ive reinstalled trans c4 every thing went smootly, ican turn motor by hand, so i hooked plugs, starter, n/s/switch ,but alas, nothing lights come on, but no start, cn still turn motor quite easily, wandering if i can gt some advice, my bat nt the best, thanks tokaanu.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

no start

are u using the starter relay that ford used on the passenger side for the starter ??? if so, ck to make sure u have power on the battery side. then u can just use a small screwdriver to jump from bat term to the small terminal. the motor will now turn over. but u need to make sure when u turn ign sw on to start u have power at the small terminal.. it appears u don't...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM

thanks delawarable, first timer at this, il tell ya how im seeing it, thers a lead that go,s from sarter mtr solinoid to bat+, 2 little plug to,s ,bothsides of lead that gos to bat+. i have a push button start . with 2 sml leads 1 to bat+ and the other i don,t knw where it gos, starter ? (mate undid starter, but gone bac north forgot to ask him) also have n/s/s blted to side of trans that runs up to swth then to steering colum, jst trying to familierise my self with what ya advised to try, the relay on passanger side, is that the little lead to hook on to, on the solinoid on my starter?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

solenoid

on that starter relay.. looking at the relay with 2 small pins looking at u... big lug on left goes to batter+, right large lug goes to starter. small lug on left is from the ign switch and goes hot when switch is in start position. so u can do a fast test on the relay by using a screw driver crossed from left side B+ to small terminal on the left.. that bypass's the ign sw and will ingage the starter.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM

hi there delawarable, thanks im with you now.il try it, an let you know.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 AM

jumed bat on starter to small lug without any result, but i hit starter bit of a spark,and starter made a noise, i got a hold of a voltage reader, il take some readings. wandering how i can test ns,swh. cheers
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

ignition switch

it's going to take 2 people now.. someone to turn the switch while u measure the voltage on the out put side of solenoid. thats the large bolt on the right.. turn switch to start and ck for voltage.. u need to make sure your engine is grounded or nothing will work right..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM

hi there mate, had no helper so i took st/mtr off and did a bench test, jumped +to sml term, and starter started up real good took a voltage reading and from 12.7 it dropped dwn to 12vlts, also tested ign wire to str/mtr that read 0.05 dont knw if i did that properly.tel us what ya think.cheers tokaanu.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

starter

sounds like u have a bad starter relay.. get a heavy wire and just jump from battery + to the starter side of solenoid.. if starter turns over then replace the relay..
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM

cheers, done what you advised.. jumped +bat to +bat on soliniod..nothing little lug left of that..nothing so did lug on right side ( looking sraight on) and starter cranked up,do i need to change relays, if so they look like they,ve ben soldered on.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM

hi again, just was cleaning up soliniod and relay on left side was half broken away from connection into slnd.. top of slnd srews into slnd body can i take of top? and see if i cn get new relays soldered on. weird...when car was run,n never had a start issue, like i said earlyer...mate took wires of starter i didnt knw which side relay to put bac on....ohh yes 4got to mention thers another lead from slnd bat+ that leds bac to ing i think thats 4 tha lights an all took it off no lghts put it on lghts. sorry if i sound *** about face, but appreciate your help.cheers tokaanu.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

solenoid

those solenoid's are not usually rebuilt. if it's removable the only thing inside is the 2 contacts u can clean.. i'd replace it..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

cheers have orderd new soliniod be in friday..il take old 1 in and make sure..mate i have a push button start, two grey wires..1 gos to +battery but the other 1 was jst hanging in motor bay, when mate left i 4got to ask where it went to? as i had not taken any notice prior...jst wandering if you,d know where it wood go,thanks tokaanu.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

wire

the other end goes to the small terminal on the left on the solenoid. the one next to the cable that comes from the battery.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 PM

got soliniod

hi there, gt soliniod on str installed to car couple of gos and she fired up, theres was a couple of things i noticed, firstly i had to move my colum shift bac an froth btwn prk & ntrl started in N but nt P. i think i may have to ajust my nss switch does this sound right? also notice smoke coming frm btwn muffler and manifold where they bolt together, is there a good sealer that you kw of that i can use, thanks mate tokaanu.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.