Hot Rod Forum banner

Gouging with a Miller Syncrowave 250

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jonahb 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

It has been a while since I last posted but I got a quick question. I am going to upgrade my stick welder to a Syncrowave 250. This machine will be used for stick and gouging for now and later it will be outfitter with an tig torch. My question is that this is an transformer based machine will the internals (like pre/post flow, slope, etc) be able to handle the abuse a gouger will put on the machine. I am planing to use a 1/4 inch carbon rod at about 250-275 amps. I am not planning to run it all day like that because of the duty cycle will not handle it and I do not believe that I would be doing that much gouging. The most gouging I would do is wear bars/ shanks/cutting edges / and ears which shouldn't be too serious.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, the reason I want to use 1/4 carbons is because most of the fillet welds are 1/4 and 1/2 inch which I believe that the 1/4 should work better. The 1/4 inch is the smallest I can get at my local welding supply and the largest I believe the machine will burn is 3/8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.