GPS co-ordinates for "abandoned" cars. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GPS co-ordinates for "abandoned" cars.

I was looking at that "Cars In Barns" website and had the idea that perhaps many of us know of cars like this that are looking for a new home.

It's a real shame in this part of the country, at least, that many of them get hauled away to the crusher.

I thought that perhaps, in this day and age of technology, and internet database capability, that someone might start some kind of free-access locating service ... using GPS co-ordinates / mapping software.

Of course there would have to be some rules in place to insure the owner's privacy, as well as a record-removal process for cars that had been claimed.

Each entry would HAVE to have an owner's contact name and method of contact (preferably e-mail?) Ideally, the system would allow for OWNERS to add/administer their own entries. They could write a paragraph or two about the vehicle, optionally state the asking price.

Something similar to Racing Junk, perhaps?

There are a lot of eyes and ears in forums like this one, so I believe that a service like this would create a lot of interest.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Wouldn't every old car need a GPS device installed? ....A little late for that.

Knowing where they are would be nice, but most of the pwners think they are made of gold and wont sell them anyways.

A childhood friend of mine has a 67 Beaumont under a tarp in his parents yard for the last 20 years, sitting on the grass. I bet the floors are totally rotted by now.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

No, Poncho ... I was talking about using a hand-held GPS to get the coordinates, and recording them in order to locate the vehicle.

The last I heard, GPS was accurate to within 3 feet ... anywhere on earth. <trip>
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Very intriguing idea. It's conceptually similar to Geocaching.

Imagine integrating something like this with Google Earth. You could enter your current waypoint, and get satellite pics of all abandoned vehicles within, say, 100 miles of your current position.

Programmatically, it would be fairly easy to accomplish. The hard part would be getting people to enter waypoints for all of those abandoned vehicles.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Jon, That GoogleEarth software is awesome!

I had been using NASA's "World Wind" previously but it doesn't even come close to this, at least for Canada. There are a lot of overlays available, including provincial boundaries and highways ... right down to the township (gravel) roads at the appropriate zoom levels.

The information content si just unreal! Here's an example:
There is a rather small man-made lake (large enough to be a prominent landmark) about 20 miles NE of Olds. (51-47-41 N x 114-05-55 W)

This lake is called Glennifer lake ... The elevation above the spillway ( approx 52-03-10 x 114-12-46) shows about 3085 ft, and then approx 3000 ft at the Red Deer river at the bottom outflow from the dam. Amazing!

It's pretty easy to see just how precise you could get with a location. The zoom level is pretty good ... roadways and large landmarks are fairly identifiable, but it isn't quite at the "see the guy with the Marlboro cigarette package in his pocket" that they portray in the movies.

I'm thinking that many of us at HR.com may already have a handheld GPS (I don't yet, but have a friend that does) and that if we had an on-line database (hint, hint ) to record this information ...

What do you think guys? I'm obviously pumped!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Jack Bauer only works 1 day a year. It would be a good project for him and CTU. They gots the good satellites. Access to DMV records too. The google earth thing is out of time with reality. I looked at the tin shed complex my shop is in and saw a trailer that has been gone for 4 years. The sat pic was taken in '98. Wouldn't a database like that take some of the fun out of "The Hunt"? Not to mention the stories. "well we was driving, Ethyl and I and we was lost and we see this car in a barn.........And that is how we won the best of show." JUst my opinion, so I'm sure it's wrong, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

GPS's are awesome. i've got an Garmin Legend and I plan on doing some geocaching this summer with my girlfriend. Theyre getting fairly affordable, paid about $200 for mine. Spent a fair bit of time playing with it at work when it was slow, Found a 'fox creek hoe service' in fox creek alberta (N 54-23.552, W 116-47.868) that was amusing

I think this could work if people actually reported it properly, but that could be tough
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

66GMC I like the idea in concept, but for my self that has and still is searching the country side in search of the perfect project it kinda is scary.
The situation that i think of is one that some one with a truck load of money sees a car and says that i want that and they pay a huge amount to buy it, fix it and never drive it. And on top of that you can never see it at the local car show.

For my self it's the thrill of the hunt is what I like. I like searching in fields, bush, barns etc. and when I find that mint 55 Chevy that I'm looking for or a 32 ford i will be all ready to buy the car and I would like to get a deal. Not compete with millions of others. That turns in to "my wallet is bigger". It would be wonderful to have the whole internet community telling where the cars are, but then everyone would also want to buy that car. Guess I'm greedy.I like that feeling of having something that only a hand full know about staying only known by a hand full. I would like to think that my blue book of cars that i have compiled is worth something and not just free.

I guess that I like to "Horse trade" with others and know what I'm against. And dealing on the net is not something that i have not mastered yet. Maybe later, but not right now. I think that right now I would have problems just handing over all of that info to total strangers.

Now if everyone would hand over there info to me I would be happy with a system like that.

John

Last edited by projectjohn; 02-05-2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 AM

Last photo:

Well, OK ... You "thrill of the hunt" / "heard about this car from a friend of a friend" guys have a point, and it's well taken.

Most of us can only handle one project at a time, so I doubt that most of us are not going to be trying to be "out-bidding" each other, and that if the supply exceeds the demand, prices will level out. You'd still have to drive for miles, winch it out, trailer it home, etc.

I suppose the thing that does scare me a bit is that perhaps the specialty shops (eg Boyd Coddington) would buy them all up, turn them into "billet-mobiles" and then charge an arm and a leg for them. (eg 1st gen Camaros and even 67-72 GM trucks)

Or worse yet, Hollywood would scrounge up every remaining 69 Charger / 74 Torino IN THE WORLD and trash them in order to make movies.

I still hate seeing them WASTED and heading for the crushers, though. I don't know ... I guess it will take a lot of thought.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Yeah, that would be cool, the only downside would be the owners permission of doing this, and their personall security of letting everybody on the internet know where they and their jewel reside.

Now, I'm sure it could be a easter egg hunt type of site, set up like man "war driving" communities (not going to get into it, but techies should know what that is.) But then it would definatly have to be a low profile site since there will be numerous rules being broken on many different levels.

As for GPS, I've been playing with it a bit lately for work. It comes in very handy for our company, it's one of the most technical and sought after utility constructions in the Georgia/ATL metro area, so you could imagin how much GPS helps us on huge jobs that are several thousand acres large, and it has to be precise. All of our field superintenants have Panasonic ToughBooks, and have GPS built into them, and will be using that with Microsofts MapPoint software, that will go into swing in the next week or two after they attend the next class and we show them how it works and how to use it. In fact, today I spent the better half of today doing conversions and setting up one of our Project Managers GPS units. It is a Garmin 60c, I've been trying to get it to talk to the new gps software and get it to recognize the WGS84 format. Got it to do that, now tomorrow morning, I'm going finish moving all the new conversions to one table and figure out how to batch send them to the unit, because theres several hundred way points and this will take forever for each one.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

I know where there is a 68 charger, a gto and a chevelle all in the same TRAILER PARK! There is also an old mustang in the trailer park next to it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.