grade 8 allthread in motor mounts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

grade 8 allthread in motor mounts?

Went to the nearest open hardware yesterday ( sunday ) to get grade 5 or 8 7/16"-14 bolts for my custom motor mounts, to hold the 2 1/2's togther. being that they needed to be 6" long, and they didn't have any. I ended up with some allthread and a couple nuts. I figured this stuff was good enough for mock up purposes.. As it turns out, due to the orientation to the frame mount 1/2 not being flipped like the actual engine mounts are ( 1 left, 1 right ), the nut insert on it ( inner plate ) has to thread thru it on 1 side, and thus the bolt would have to be fully threadded, and seems like a hard thing to find.. Didn't think grade 8 allthread existed, but I searched and it does.. Is grade 8 allthread as strong as a grade 8 bolt?

if anyone is wondering. The mounts are correct for a 1975 Ford Elite or Lincoln Continental, and the lower 1/2's are the top plate to a 1974 Plymouth barracuda mount. The spacer is a 3/8"x1 1/2" pipe nipple, which puts the engine at 1 1/2" setback. This could be adjusted any way with different spacers. The allthread needs trimmed, but being it's just the mock up allthread/ bolt, I wasn't worried, and just cut it as close as I could with the small chop saw

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

grade 8 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Went to the nearest open hardware yesterday ( sunday ) to get grade 5 or 8 7/16"-14 bolts for my custom motor mounts, to hold the 2 1/2's togther. being that they needed to be 6" long, and they didn't have any. I ended up with some allthread and a couple nuts. I figured this stuff was good enough for mock up purposes.. As it turns out, due to the orientation to the frame mount 1/2 not being flipped like the actual engine mounts are ( 1 left, 1 right ), the nut insert on it ( inner plate ) has to thread thru it on 1 side, and thus the bolt would have to be fully threadded, and seems like a hard thing to find.. Didn't think grade 8 allthread existed, but I searched and it does.. Is grade 8 allthread as strong as a grade 8 bolt?

if anyone is wondering. The mounts are correct for a 1975 Ford Elite or Lincoln Continental, and the lower 1/2's are the top plate to a 1974 Plymouth barracuda mount. The spacer is a 3/8"x1 1/2" pipe nipple, which puts the engine at 1 1/2" setback. This could be adjusted any way with different spacers. The allthread needs trimmed, but being it's just the mock up allthread/ bolt, I wasn't worried, and just cut it as close as I could with the small chop saw

Matt grade 8 threaded all the way is just as strong, they are rolled threads that is a much stronger thread than a cut thread, also that is how they get up to the head.
With a rolled thread you remove no metal just move it around, cut threads of course you remove metal.

Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

I have little experience with Ford and even less with Mopar motor mounts. It looks to me that those motor mounts aren't going to take to much torque to snap that bolt. I think I'd look for a better setup. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

It shouldn't be any weaker than the setup the Lincoln it came out of had, which used the same engine mounts. The only diffrence is the mount sat over top of a saddle with a locator pin. I don't see it snapping a grade 8 bolt, altho I could weld a thick steel washer to each side of the mopar mount, so it doesn't rip out the metal, just to be sure.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
That is WAY wrong, it WILL break. The mount ears need to be next to one an other. With that one floating out in space it WILL break or at least bend that bolt. Grade 8 means nothing when you have those forces, zero grade garden gate bolts would hold just as good.

Correct the design and don't try to make up for what you have with "stronger" bolts.

Brian
Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

4 words ---
THAT AIN"T GONNA WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!
Sumthin Mickey Mouse would do.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

I was just looking at/ going by the listed bolt strengths. But I see what your saying, and after thinking about it, I would tend to agree.. I'm thinking, if weld the spacers to the inside plate, then it would eliminate the load forces on the bolt. Or I could get another set of the 460 mounts, and seperate them from the rubber and use those for the bottom plates. that would put both ears side by side, and probably work best... I have the mount towers for the 4cyl, which I was hoping I could get the engine to bolt onto them and into the chassis. I might fabricate a saddle on the towers, just like the lincoln had
Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
4 words ---
THAT AIN"T GONNA WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!
Sumthin Mickey Mouse would do.
Lol yea. I'll figure somthing out tho. The Mopar mounts were $6/ each so it's no big deal to chuck them. make good brackets for somthing or other anyway.. I was trying to do it cheap. but cheap and good doesn't always work out
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Now yer thinkin right.
Leave the MM stuff to Disneyland
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
grade 8 threaded all the way is just as strong, they are rolled threads that is a much stronger thread than a cut thread,Bob

True and an often misunderstood factor. I think extending the thread by cutting on a lathe or with a thread die loses about 20% to, in some cases, as much 30% in strength as opposed to the correct rolled threads. Basically if a thread die is used to extend the threads on a grade 8 bolt shank it can no longer be considered as a grade 8.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM
boatbob2

grade 8 bolts.

Hi,basically what everyone is trying to tell you is,the 2 motor mounts (engine half,and chassis half) need to fit inside each other,then the bolt holds the 2 halves together,,, thats the way the factory designed them,dont try to re-invent the wheel.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Ok, trying to find somthing else to work.. I thought about splitting the Mopar mounts in the center and making them wider. It could work but would need fish plated to retain the strength, and by the time I got done splitting and welding, I could have just fabbed somthing.. I don't want to use another set of 460 car mounts and try to cook them, as I'm only 50% sure they would work once I seperated the 'hoop/ear' half from the engine mount 1/2. There a bit too expensive for a 50% chance at $30/ each just about everywhere.

If I bend a bracket out of steel stock, what is a good way to keep the holes equal when drilling both sides equal? my drill bits are not that long.. Otherwise is it kosher to weld the right size mount tab to a base plate cut to the right width?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.