Grafting 78 cutlass sub on 55-59 chevy truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
BigMike

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Grafting 78 cutlass sub on 55-59 chevy truck

I have heard about guys grafting 78-87 Monte Carlo clips on their 55-59 chevy trucks, i can buy a 78 Cutlass Supreme for about $300. Is this sub the same as a monte clip. One thing that i also heard that it is harder to graft the monte/cutlass clip onto the frame compared to the camaro clip. I really need some help in deciding what to do for my truck. Any one who has done a monte clip graft please please let me know!! Thank you for your time.... Mike!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The frame widths should be close between the two vehicles where the graft will take place. Track width is also a factor.

The Cutlass and the Monte Carlo share a lot of the same frame/suspension parts and should interchange equally ... as a graft donor. I prefer to NOT cut the frame and graft another cars front suspension. I prefer to upgrade the suspension or add a IFS cross member from the aftermarket ...
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:

I agree with Deuce. There are many good aftermarket independent front suspensions out there. Installation would probably be easier and quicker on the aftermarket unit. Plus the finished result would look good compared to some stock from a car setup.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Another thought.....Most of the time when you find these old subframes or clips there is so much worn out on them for example...ball joints, brake pads, rotors rusted up, calipers stuck, wheel bearings, and seals etc. that by the time you re-work them with new parts you could have just gotten a new IFS cross member from Fatman thats designed to work with your car.....a lot less hassel.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Well the only delema i have about the Mustang 2 is that im a 20 year old college student. The supreme was my buddies car and he went into the navy. the car runs great and drives great. i could go to where the car sits right now and start it up and drive it no problem. but i have found a mustang 2 ifs from fatrodder on ebay that sells for 1400 and some change. but then again if i start saving now by the time i get my chop done on the truck i might have enough money to buy a m2 ifs. Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM

I would Recommend Some More Research

Streamline55, You are smart to ask advise on a big decision like this. I would just do a little more research on this site by searching for info on 55-59 IFS, graphs, g body,etc to get your options.

I personnally decided to graph Camaro Sub into my '57 Chevy Pickup. It is cheaper but does require higher skill level. How are your welding skills? G body graphs are even harder then camaros. I, as well as many others, have made several posting on this subject. Please search around, read what you find, and ask any more questions that you have.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

I agree with tmeyer. It all comes down to skill level, time and money. Getting a clip on correctly where it is aligned and attached correctly is just half the battle. Getting the sheet metal hung where it is aligned right is the other half. It all sounds simple until you get into it. Unless you are an excellent welder/fabricator, go with a MII based bolt in. You'll pay someone more to install a clip than the MII cost.
Bob
Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 AM
BigMike

Last photo:

My welding skills are very good, i have worked in auto body for 4 years now and was training to be a welder in a factory. even though this might be a harder clip to graft, i am working with one of my teachers who has done stuff like this before. he actually used to work for Boyd and 2 other rod shops out in Cali. he is out of town right now so im gonna wait till till he gets back to make my final decision. till then im searching forums every night! thanks for your help guys, Mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.