Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gram Scale Suggestions for weight matching pistons
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218 View Post
I am looking at buying a gram scale to start weight matching pistons, rods, etc. Im building a fixture like the one used in this video. Connecting Rod Balancing - YouTube
Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Shane
I have three gram weight scales I use for fireworks making, so I can give you a couple tips.

Be sure the platform that will receive the objects to be weighed is large enough that the weighed item doesn't obstruct the display.

Be sure the accuracy is within your needs. I would think +/- 0.1 gram would be about right. My smallest scale is accurate to 0.01g (10mg), but the total capacity is too small for what you're doing. I use it mostly for test batches of fireworks compositions and reloading.

They all seem to have an auto-off feature. I find that frustrating; on one of my scales every time I turn around it seems, the damn thing has shut down. The length of time until auto off is not usually published, either. So keep a pencil and pad handy and write things down.

I have Ohaus and chinese scales and the accuracy is within the published range for them all. One chinese scale has been used for about 8 years now on a fairly regular basis (came from HF), no probs. So depending on your budget, buying a cheaper scale isn't necessarily sacrificing accuracy.

Get a set of calibration weights and use them.

The smallest scales do not have the option to use an AC adapter. In your case you might want to go w/one that has that option. An adapter or batteries can be used on most all of the larger capacity scales like the one below (I own one of these, BTW):

Digital ScaleThe resolution is 1g on this scale, has a 40 second idle time before auto off. I use it for bulk chemicals. You might want better resolution. Generally better resolution means less capacity or more money.