Granada disc on my 66 Stang - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Not so New Member

Last journal entry: Trying to make a custom valance
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Granada disc on my 66 Stang

I have about the worst combo for this swap The car was originally an I6 with powersteering and this combo doesn't give you much choice but to change the whole assembly to a manual 8 setup. I have heard of a shop called rareparts.com that make some custom Ti rod ends that are straight bolt ons. Any comments or other ideas would be greatly appreciated! FYI I have a Shelby drop and 620 springs in the build up plan, to support a 351W (if that makes any difference) also the car will not be raced extensively.
Thanks for any guidance,
Fred

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Have you tried googling granada brake swap ?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Not so New Member

Last photo:

I have every Granada disc article ever put on the Web And the more I search the more confused the issue gets. It get sticky when yuo are dealing with I6 and Stickier with powersteering. I am more concerned with the strength of the I6 steering parts (although they did last 40 years) but I do plan a big power, weight, and tire change.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

I don't think that Ford used different spindles with the I-6 and the V-8. The brake swaps I've seen involve replacing the entire spindle with the Granada setup. The tie rod ends will fit unless you use Versailles spindles.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Not so New Member

Last photo:

The I6 spindles are dramatically thinner than the 8's and the tie rod ends are much smaller and lighter. And the Granada spindle has a larger hole for the tie rod end for both applications I think the manual 8 will accept the Granada tie rod with some isssues regarding tie rod length but the Ford made very specific changes with Powersteering setups and having a 6 makes it worse. It's not easy being a Ford fan!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

6cyl spindals are 4 lug, thinner and weaker, granada spindals are the same for 8 and 6cyls, they are 5 lug. go to www.diskbrakeswap.com and get the entire kit if your confused. it bolts in and gives you everything you need. you could get everything from a '75-'78 Granada/ Monarch.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu
The I6 spindles are dramatically thinner than the 8's and the tie rod ends are much smaller and lighter. And the Granada spindle has a larger hole for the tie rod end for both applications I think the manual 8 will accept the Granada tie rod with some isssues regarding tie rod length but the Ford made very specific changes with Powersteering setups and having a 6 makes it worse. It's not easy being a Ford fan!

You are correct. having seen the G stuff adapted to a six suspension, I do recommend your changing to the heavier V8 suspension components and adding the G stuff. Essentially you are going to replace every piece of the six suspension, front and rear. While you are there do a bump steer adjustment.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
You are correct. having seen the G stuff adapted to a six suspension, I do recommend your changing to the heavier V8 suspension components and adding the G stuff. Essentially you are going to replace every piece of the six suspension, front and rear. While you are there do a bump steer adjustment.
he'd need a full allignment. I'd also recomend putting in the sway bar from the donor car.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Not so New Member

Last photo:

Thanks to all for your input, looks like I will be hunting down some steering parts
Old 08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Mustangs Plus has a excellent article on the GMV front disc brake conversion, you might want to take a look at it. http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/index.htm
I know that you will have to convert your suspension over to V8 components as the I-6 stuff is not compatable with the GMV parts. I also have had some experience with converting Granada parts onto a Mustang, you might want to also read this. 1970 Mustang Suspension Question http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/index.htm
Old 08-27-2006, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Mustang conversion

I did this swap on my son's 66 Mustang I-6 and had no problems. The donor car was a 78 Granada. Bought all new components to rebuild the steering system. Bought rebuilt calipers with the pads included along with new rotors. So...I only used the Granada spindles. I also did the "Shelby" a-arm move and all works well. The only problem I had was finding a shop that knew how to align a car that old. It took two shops a total of four tries to get it right but it works great now.
While I was at it, I switched the rear axle over to a V-8 version for the bigger brakes.
Before you go to all of this trouble however, you might want to check out some of the rack and pinion conversions available. I hear some of them are pretty slick.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

tie rod adapters

Mustang Steve sells tie rod to spindle adapters. His discussion board folks are very knowledgable, specializing in classic Mustangs. You really should go all v8 stuff, the 6cyl steering components are pretty light.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I find it interesting how so many people lower the upper control arm "a-la- Shelby" but ignore the other changes Shelby made to the steering to make the cars handle correctly.

It is not a secret modifcation, it's just that people chose to ignore it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.