Gravity bleeding of brakes. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

My 1st choice is to gravity bleed the furthest from the master to the closest.
Sometimes on a old system it needs a little push to get it started {blow out the mud daubers & what not}

2 nd choice is my mighty vac I had one bust on me so I use 2 of the containers in line to catch if the 1st fills up before I get back .sucks it pretty quick.

Some will say to do it again in a week or 2 cause air will generate In new parts ?

I never re use the brake fluid I'm saving it for paint removal

I need to work on my double flair techniques.

Chances are if you can't Gravity bleed a typical set up there is some kind of restriction & a future problem.

R

Advertisement

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Here is a twist on bleeding brakes: vacuum / pressure. I would have trouble alot of times with under the floor M/C cars even with the pressure bleeder and one day after I charged up a new AC system, I thought why not do brakes the same. I put an extra line on my pressure bleeder adapter plate with an inline valve. I purge all of the fluid out of the system. hook a vacuum pump and vacuum jar to the extra line. Evacuate the system down to 20 to 25" vacuum. shut the vacuum valve. The pressure bleeder is hooked to the standard fitting on the adapter plate. I open the pressure bleeder valve slowly and fluid is drawn in to the system, filling the vacuum. I pump the pedal once or twice to seat the pads and I'm done. I don't even open the bleeders. Works great, doesn't waste any fluid if you are doing a brand new system and that pedal is harder than chinese algebra the first time. An added benefit is that you don't take the chance of getting fluid all over a newly painted caliper or suspension part. I have done a few 4 wheel disc cars but no disc/ drum setups yet. I'm not sure that the wheel cylinder seals will seal when I put the vacuum to them. If anyone has any opinion about this, let me know. thanks for reading this,mikey

That's the way the factory fills the brakes, AC and powersteering systems. Evac and fill.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKown
That's the way the factory fills the brakes, AC and powersteering systems. Evac and fill.
Thank you sir welcome to the board!
Have you had experience with doing it this way also?
I never knew that anyone else did it that way.

I wondered if anyone would ever read that post of mine and take it seriously. I had made my own master cylinder adapter plate and fluid seperation chamber that I use with my pressure bleeder and AC vacuum pump.

It works extremely well for me as most of the systems I do are not easy to bleed by conventional methods.
Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Last journal entry: 59 Retractable
Last photo:

Bleeding brakes

I have used all three methods and usually end up using a combination of vacuum and gravity.
I like the pressure system because you can see any leaks right away, but the pressure plate has to be centered both ways on the master cylinder to work, or you end up with brake fluid all over the place. Some master cylinders don't have the clearance required to get the plate centered.
I am converting to Dot 5 on all my cars because it is not supposed to eat the paint and it does not absorb water (I live in Florida). It also has a high boiling point. Dot 3 will boil if the lines get too hot (close to manifold etc) and the brakes will fail as happened to my wife in our 57 bird just after I installed disk brakes with braided stainless lines. She was not a happy camper!!
When converting to Dot 5, I use a new mater cylinder and drain as much as possible out of the system and then starting from the longest line (usually right rear), I take the bleeder screw out and insert the rubber nozzle that comes with the system and start pumping. You need clear plastic tubing (I get 3/8" from home depot). You can see the residual dot 3 drain out and the new Dot 5 (purple) come in. It take a while to get all the old stuff out so be patient. I then replace the bleeder screw and vacuum a little more, but I always seem to get air from around the screw unless it is the speed bleeder type (the treads are coated).
I then let the system gravity drain for 30 min.
Thanks to hotrodders for all the tips
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
500" AMC Pacer: 401" Rambler

bleeding

After reading all the ways to bleed brakes, my MCyl. is just about 4 inches above the wheel cyl height.. and has residual valves in both lines,, and rear has the prop-valve too.. should I have it wide open, and try gravity first.?

Last edited by cadipacer; 04-26-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Gravity bleeding question

Old post but still relevant. If you introduce a bunch of air into the system by replacing hose/caliper/mc, etc. can you still use the gravity method? Do you fill the lines with the bleeders closed first? Or just open them and start filling the master (and waiting)?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Thats about the only way you can bleed most Corvettes. Its the only way I can get all of the air out of my streetrod too.
Hi Henry
Just going through the power brakes on my 67 Mustang after it hit the road yesterday. It has new 4 wheel discs fitted and the problem i am having is with a spongy pedal which it did not have before i pulled the car into a thousand pieces and rebuilt it. I put a seal kit through the tandem master and bled the brakes from rear to front using a power bleeder the first time and my son in the seat the second time using the pump pedal /bleed valve release method. I am at a loss to get rid of this spongy pedal. The car stops okay with single piston calipers, could be better though.
My question is if i
open the bleed valves for an hour and let the fluid trickle out through a clear hose can i expect the air to disappear, if it is air that is my problem.
Cheers Al.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

It's the only method I have used for years. But you sure don't leave the bleeders open for an hour. I also sometimes lightly pump the pedal with my hand, maybe stroke it about 1/2 inch or so by feel. That usually gets the fluid flowing and you can watch for bubbles and close the bleeder(s) when there are no more bubbles in the stream. It obviously won't work with a master cylinder lower than the wheel cylinders/calipers.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
It's the only method I have used for years. But you sure don't leave the bleeders open for an hour. I also sometimes lightly pump the pedal with my hand, maybe stroke it about 1/2 inch or so by feel. That usually gets the fluid flowing and you can watch for bubbles and close the bleeder(s) when there are no more bubbles in the stream. It obviously won't work with a master cylinder lower than the wheel cylinders/calipers.
Thanks for that. I will give it a go shortly. I have just been to town to buy more brake fluid and the brake guy said to pin point the problem area, pinch the brake fluid supply at the flex lines at each wheel in turn to cut the supply off to each caliper and see if the pedal rises up. I keep thinking there is something i have overlooked but i have double checked all connections and there is not a leak anywhere. The brake guy also said that new discs and pads will give the effect of a spongy pedal until the mating surfaces are bedded in and to be patient.
So i will have a go at pinching the lines to see if i can locate a problem caliper with trapped air and then as you suggest open the bleed screws and look for air.
Thanks.
Al.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Pinching the rubber lines isn't a good idea, you can damage them, especially if you are pumping the brakes with one pinched off. New pads do need burnished in, especially the metallic ones. Do this by making several aggressive stops in short succession.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Pinching the rubber lines isn't a good idea, you can damage them, especially if you are pumping the brakes with one pinched off. New pads do need burnished in, especially the metallic ones. Do this by making several aggressive stops in short succession.
Hi willow billy.
Yeah the guy at the brake service shop said to use line clips or flat faced clamps with a protective shield around the flex pipe.
Yeah you ae right about bedding the brakes as i stopped it dead on the road after a 80 mph burst coming home from a wheel alignment. As it is not inspected/registered yet i am not game to go out again as the 347 has some noise with it. I would like to do that three or four times.
I found a tip on here about testing a Master by jamming a piece of wood on the pedal and the other end on the drivers seat and leave it overnight for a leak down check. I have just done this and will wait until the morning and see if i have lost cylinder pressure. After ten minutes it has not moved at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC300077.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	58405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo036.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	58406  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.