Hot Rod Forum banner

great deal on an engine!!

Tags
454 chevy
2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cdminter59 
#1 ·
Hey guys...so long story short...i ran into a performance shop by my house...they were selling a 454 that had 30k miles on it...looks nice, painted, and has a brand new serpentine system on it and it is completely stock.. i asked the guy if i can run a compression test to check the cylinders and he said go right on ahead..he is selling this engine for $950.. casting number is 3999289 (i believe it is a 2-bolt)..my goal is to reach 450-500 HP..as of right now i have a Gen v 454 out of a '94 suburban(4-bolt)..what do you guys think??? buy this engine and sell off the Gen V or keep? (by the way the one i currently have needs an overhaul as two of the cylinders showed significantly low numbers when i did a compression test) strictly street use guys...thanks for your input :D

#2 ·
Great deal on an engine? Take or Leave?

Hey guys...so long story short...i ran into a performance shop by my house...they were selling a 454 that had 30k miles on it...looks nice, painted, and has a brand new serpentine system on it and it is completely stock.. i asked the guy if i can run a compression test to check the cylinders and he said go right on ahead..he is selling this engine for $950.. casting number is 3999289 (i believe it is a 2-bolt)..my goal is to reach 450-500 HP..as of right now i have a Gen v 454 out of a '94 suburban(4-bolt)..what do you guys think??? buy this engine and sell off the Gen V or keep? (by the way the one i currently have needs an overhaul as two of the cylinders showed significantly low numbers when i did a compression test) strictly street use guys...thanks for your input

#4 ·
If it's truely what he says it is, the price is right but it's too easy to throw a little paint on it and do some cosmetic work for show and advertise a low mileage motor. Do your homework & check it out thoughly before you make a decision. I would also get the casting numbers off the heads and see what they are. I sold a SBC once and the guy asked if I could pull the oil pan so he could look. I had nothing to hide and pulled the pan just so he was satisfied. I've been burnt numerous times by believing what I was told.

#6 ·
Well for a few reasons..if I stay with this engine I'm going to want to get it rebuilt, if the block was good I would just throw on some heads but I'm not too sure...if I get it rebuilt stock its going to cost me about 1300-1500..(I called and asked for prices) 2. It's a gen v and I wouldn't want to risk throwing on some mark iv heads and get a coolant leak and am aware there are special gaskets for the swap( they have peanut ports and I want the 049,781 heads) , there are bolts stuck inside the heads( where the headers go) and bolts stuck in the harmonic balancer...when I bought the car, the seller gave me the engine and said it was good...was trying to fool me with his "marketing" skills...but I bought it anyway because the car was in good condition, no dents, fresh paint, etc...now with this other engine...I can get the same stock engine(its a 2 bolt I believe) for cheaper and not have to worry about taking bolts out and less than likely spend money on a rebuild..I will be running a compression test on this other engine, if numbers are good...then more than likely ill take it, it is a mark iv so I can throw on any heads that I want, and from there work on increasing the hp...Ill be asking for the casting of the heads today and will post it up( sorry i know I write alot) lol Thx for reading u guys are awesome :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.