Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The great full quarter vs. skin debate
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Theres no doubt that full repo 1/4's are better than skins but the fit and sharpness at the top of the full 1/4 isnt as good (trunk jamb and sail panel around rear window) as the old ones so I keep the original top surfaces... so every chance I get I buy the full 1/4's and cut them down to full skins with the (flanged) seam as far up the side as I can go.
I've done so many 1/4s and skinsI have no clue just how many ,hundreds??? and done them every way possible so you can get the skin and spend twice the labor fixing it to make it look right and end up with a 1/4 full of bondo or you can spend more on a full repo 1/4 and save all the labor and end up with a 1/4 that is all steel with little filler (us pros can always tell the difference) cutting down the full 1/4's is so much better than using the full 1/4 its rediculus and if your going to use skins be prepared for a good fight. Its very frustrating tring to fit a skin and the fit really sucks especially around the wheel wells.
So the choice is yours, go with the full 1/4s(trimed down) and have a fairly EZ install or save a few hundred and have a nightmare....at least you'll be pretty good at laying on bondo when your done with the cheapo repos..
BUT before you go out and order anything try finding some really nice used ones from the dryer climate areas ,you'd be surprized whats still out there. getting a "chunk" (the whole corner of the car) is always the "BEST" way and many times the cheapest..if a chunk is available you wouldwant to install it at all the factory seams and not use ANY filler with the exception of the factory seam at the sail panel....
So do it any way you want but remember if you save a little on the parts you'll be spending more than that on labor....