Hot Rod Forum banner

A GREAT Link i found needed to share on hp and tq physics

874 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading lately to come up with something as close to perfect as possible for my current project - that is an entirely different conversation on its own. I found this link in the pursuit of trying to figure out friction losses/aerodynamics and power correlation. I don't believe that the common understanding of how tq moves a vehicle is well understood. Most people think that its all about tq, I give you the rotary motor for analysis. It makes little tq but spins high to make hp (which yes is a function of tq. Anyhow, I was trying to figure out how much "power" (more or less) it takes to move a specific weight with tire friction loss, and with gearing involved. I found the coefficient of rubber on dry concrete to be 1.0 (0.8 on wet concrete). F = f x W/R

f= coefficient of ROLLING friction (which is 0.01-0.02 for rubber on concrete)
W=weight of cylinder (car in this case)
R= radius of cylinder

PROBLEM: how does having four 'cylinders' effect this calculation? The equation as it stands is for calculating force on a single rolling cylinder. Also, how can it be applied if the front two wheels of the car are on the platform that is doing the pulling??

http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/horsepower

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.