Great Martha Reeves and the Vandella's video shot on the Mustang assembly line! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Great Martha Reeves and the Vandella's video shot on the Mustang assembly line!

I love this video, first off, what great pop music! As I say "Thank God for the artist, what beauty they add to this life of ours". What GREAT music this is. But check out the poor buggers painting the parts with no respirators! HOLY CRAP, you know these guys are all dead by now!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Dearborn assembly

You didn't go thru that factory alone, Some one wearing necktie probably has a few expense account dollars in their wallet. You had to watch where you stepped, there were holes in the floors covered with plywood. The "Small parts" paint spray booth moved a lot of temperature controlled air down thru it. There is a "waterfall" overspray collector . on the back wall that drew air thru it. Big 4 X 4 steel removable tanks below the floor where the overspray sludge collected. The tanks were hoisted out on the down day Saturday or Sunday and dumped in an evaporation pond. The ponds in Milpitas ended up a Superfund clean up site. Legal when they did it. When they installed the front fenders they were supposed use that overhead fixture to square up the front fenders. The steel rod hooks the "small parts" hang on got a build up of paint and when the build up got too large and interfered with fit they would use a hammer to break them off. My brother used to collect the pieces, grind , sand, then polish the pieces . Rock hounds used to try to figure what the rainbow colored pieces were. The steel I beam skids in dearborn the mustang bodies ride on were not Mustang specific, those were converted from another car ,

Last edited by timothale; 06-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
You didn't go thru that factory alone, Some one wearing necktie probably has a few expense account dollars in their wallet. You had to watch where you stepped, there were holes in the floors covered with plywood. The "Small parts" paint spray booth moved a lot of temperature controlled air down thru it. There is a "waterfall" overspray collector . on the back wall that drew air thru it. Big 4 X 4 steel removable tanks below the floor where the overspray sludge collected. The tanks were hoisted out on the down day Saturday or Sunday and dumped in an evaporation pond. The ponds in Milpitas ended up a Superfund clean up site. Legal when they did it. When they installed the front fenders they were supposed use that overhead fixture to square up the front fenders. The steel rod hooks the "small parts" hang on got a build up of paint and when the build up got too large and interfered with fit they would use a hammer to break them off. My brother used to collect the pieces, grind , sand, then polish the pieces . Rock hounds used to try to figure what the rainbow colored pieces were.
I made a pendent shaped like a heart for my ex-wife when I was just 20 years old (and dumb as a rock) from a rack that I painted parts on at a restoration shop I worked. It really did look pretty neat if I must say so myself.

Brian
Old 06-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

lead grinders

Workers in the grind booth that finished the body solder seams on the Mustang roof to Qtr seam were required to wear respirators, and signs said wash your hands before eating or smoking. and they were supposed to shower and change into different clothes before going home. That was a hot dirty job. the workers got a blood test every month for lead. When someone wanted out and the foreman wouldn't sign a transfer, they would work with out a respirator for a while then flunk the blood test and get pulled out. They probably didn't collect much retirement.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.