Great video on the worlds fastest piston engine, wheel driven car on earth. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Great video on the worlds fastest piston engine, wheel driven car on earth.

Checkout how rough that salt is in some of these shots, we are talking large pizza sized flakes! They have to smooth it out for the event. If you haven't been out there it is a must do for a car nut. I have never been there for speed week (missed it by a week on vacation once) just going out there is a must do. It is right along highway 80 at Wendover Nv. You can see the trucks going by on the highway in this video. This sign is right at the end of Bonniville speedway road where it dead ends at the speedway, very cool. This is a great video, put it on HD and full screen!

Brian

Google Maps

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

One of the things on my bucket list.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

I have posted this a hundred times I know. But I went out there a couple of times and once brought up the family truckster up to about 55 mph and just about loosened every bolt in it! This photo wasn't taken right next to the road, it was about a mile out into it. It's an amazing site, it would be like standing in the middle of the SF bay area and looking around seeing all the way to the hills on each side of the bay and seeing perfectly nothing but white, not a blade of grass, not a gum wrapper, NOTHING. It is quite the site.

Then the next time I was thru a few years later I saw a crew out there and went out to see what was going on only to be stopped by their "security" telling me it was a secret thing going on and I couldn't see it. Ooooook this was a week before speedweek and he made it very clear that I don't drive over by the pylons as that was the actual track and it had been groomed. I really would like to get out there during the event one of these times. But it is on a main hiqhway across America so if you ever find yourself coming out to California on a road trip or something don't drive right by this!

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

When I was at Speedweek in 2011, I saw George drive a couple of different cars going for records. He had "Speed Demon" out as well as "Blowfish" (turbo'd 'Cuda)

So far (I have seen a reference to) Speed Demon exiting the flying mile at 460 something (and eating its transmission alive in the process)

They run that car with several different SBC engines - the "baby" one being just over 300 inches and the big one at 360 some. When I saw it, they had the 347 in it.

They also run it with a blown 4 cyl Mopar in it
Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

Dave, that is too cool. Tell me, how are the crowds out there? Is it all open to everyone, the pits and all? How good can you see the cars going by, how far away are you really?

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Cool video! It's hard to imagine shredding the tires at 320 mph.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2 View Post
Cool video! It's hard to imagine shredding the tires at 320 mph.
That is a frightening thought isn't it!

Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Dave, that is too cool. Tell me, how are the crowds out there? Is it all open to everyone, the pits and all? How good can you see the cars going by, how far away are you really?

Brian
A couple of things. If you are going to stay "in town" - you are probably too late for reservations this year.

I took my travel trailer along, but missed one VERY key thing. It is VERY (very,very,very very etc) HOT there and I did not have enuff brains to bring a genny for powering the A/C in my TT. Luckily, the temps dropped to the 95-100 range at night

If you are sleeping in the van, under your pickup, in a motorhome (a moho) a travel trailer or in a tent - you can stay for free. Just park on the salt, near the bend (where the access road curves) and there you are. Bring EVERYTHING you will need, as you will be camping in the "basic unserviced camping area". In the case of my trailer, we had everything needed including water and toilet and shower a stove, a microwave and a fridge to keep the bottled water cold. We froze a dozen bottles every night and cooled another dozen to take with us to the scene of the action every day. With the frozen ones plus the cold ones in the picnic cooler, we were OK for hydration. (If we had brought a generator for the trailer's A/C, it would have been perfect!

Take a LOT of "SPF a million" sunscreen and wear long sleeves and long pants. The stories of the sun reflecting off the salt and burning your "don't touch'ems" are true for those in shorts

Welding glasses shade 6 -9 are about right for eye protection. A wide-brimmed hat is mandatory.

You can walk around in the pits, most teams are VERY friendly, you can stop & chat with 'em. My son & I chatted with the Poteet & Main crew and passed wrenches when they were in a thrash from burned pistons due to a screed up fuel line. We stopped and chatted with the university team running an electric car, and with various other teams running all sorts of different vehicles from a Renault with a Hybusa engine to a team with a huge Kenworth running V16 Diesel power.

At the start line, you can (if you don't make a jerk of yourself) walk among the cars waiting in line for their turn, and at worst you stand about 3 -4 feet away from them.

Downtrack, you are about a mile or so from the cars as they go past, for safety reasons - if someone cranking 300 plus gets off the "track" and outta control, you gotta be LONG ways away if you are going to live through it!

Despite the "million miles per hour" speeds, the whole thing is very laid back, very friendly. Teams loan each other tools, help each other etc.

That fact is most notable at the start line. Instead of the Christmas tree or the frantic waving of a green flag, there is a guy on the radio who stands in front of your car when you are next up, listens to his head set for messages about when the last car has finished its run and the track is now clear and then he turns to you and double-checks that all your latches & catches are done up, your safety pin is pulled on your chute and then, with an "After you" sort of gesture, steps aside. "The track is yours for the next 4 minutes"

Your push car starts up and takes you out and up to 40 (or 50 or 75 or 100 MPH) and you get on it and go, while your push car drops back and peels off to the left to meet you down track and pull you back to the pits. Maybe you don't use a push car and just drive away from the start line. If you're on a bike maybe someone pushes you while running for the first 20 feet.

Oh yeah. Take an AM radio, and FM radio and a CB radio along for listening to track announcements, track news and for listening to communications between officials and teams. ("Um this is car XXX - I just pulled off to the right at mile marker 4 - my motor let go all over the track - some pieces came right through my hood. You better get a safety clean-up crew out there before you let the next car down. Hey Frank - I'm back just past mile 4 with only about half an engine left in it - wanna bring the trailer and come get me?" ) (That's a direct quote of one racer's call on CB radio)

There are TWO tracks - the long course for the "big boys & girls" and the short course for vehicles running less than 200

There are snack stands, ice creams stands, bottled water sellers, sunglasses sellers (expen$ive!) and rental porta-johns around, as well as a place to stop and wash all the salt off your ride at the end of the day. Admission is quite reasonably priced and buying a program and a rule book is highly advised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
boothboy (03-25-2013), MARTINSR (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Last photo:

Great video Brian, thanks for posting it. I was a the flats in 1970, it's a completely different experince now.

Vince
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
There are snack stands, ice creams stands, bottled water sellers, sunglasses sellers (expen$ive!) and rental porta-johns around, as well as a place to stop and wash all the salt off your ride at the end of the day. Admission is quite reasonably priced and buying a program and a rule book is highly advised.
Your whole post is very informative thank you. I am going to print it out and save it in my file, really helpful thank you.

When I ran out there with the family truckster I left the salt and it stayed there for a long time. Coming back home and months later before it dropped off, bummed me when it did.

Thank you so much for the info.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
boothboy (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Great video Brian Thanks!

BB
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

BRIAN

If you want a lot of salt on your car; just come to syracuse NY in the winter; we're not called the 'Salt City' for nothing. LOL I have a DVD my friend Ron Van Allen made of he and Corky Stockham (owner of the Parts Peddler racing paper here in the Northeast) built around 2000. If I can figure out how to copy the DVD to my computer, I'll send it to anyone who wants a copy
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 AM

Last journal entry: On the road home !!!
Last photo:

awesome

Wow ! awesome video thanx Brian !
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

Isn't that awesome Noobrodder? Man I dig that video and on HD full screen what a great film!

Brian
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,148 Posts
Finally got to watch this. Great video... Thanks Brian.

John

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.