Hot Rod Forum banner

Green spot putty?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
I'm stripping a '57 Chevy hardtop, and found that the last of four paint jobs was done using a bright green putty... probably 2-part. I am trying to date the work.

Anyone use it? Is it still around?

#3 ·
Thanks. If you know approximately when it came out, that would be of interest.

The top color is probably a catalyzed layer, judging be how it is coming off, so that would probably be no earlier than the mid eighties. As faded and deteriorated as it is, I would guess it is 10-20 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some dinosaur bones in the first couple repaints! :)

#9 ·
that 3M acrylic spot putty was worse than garbage, it's a curse from hell. It came as green and pale blue, neither is worth the trouble they cause.

"1k acrylic spot putty should never be used. It shrinks up no matter how long you have it sitting before you sand it"

It also has the nasty bad habit of swelling everything under it to the metal, leaving a lovely 3D pattern of your whole swipe mark showing thru the finished paint work days later. Tons of fun. Used it once, never again.

#10 ·
oldBodyman said:
that 3M acrylic spot putty was worse than garbage, it's a curse from hell. It came as green and pale blue, neither is worth the trouble they cause.

"1k acrylic spot putty should never be used. It shrinks up no matter how long you have it sitting before you sand it"

It also has the nasty bad habit of swelling everything under it to the metal, leaving a lovely 3D pattern of your whole swipe mark showing thru the finished paint work days later. Tons of fun. Used it once, never again.
I have heard other body people say this also.

Cole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.