Hot Rod Forum banner

Gremlin, the lil' hot rod, lol. :)

7K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Dragonoake 
#1 ·
Gremlin had a stronger body than Vega or Pinto. Better build up potential as a small hi performance car, and quite good looking before the 1973/74 impact bumpers came.:cool:

Gremlin 401-XR

See less See more
#6 ·
. If you're going to get something that looks like a station wagon, might as well have it long enough to haul something in...

.. Was 401" engine in that Gremlin 401-XR the typical 1970's 165HP smog version?

. I have the Pontiac Astre Formula version of that Vega wagon above, debating on whether to put the SBC 305" or 405" engine in it...

#25 ·
1972-74 Randall got 30 401 crate motors from AMC. They were putting out 255 SAE net at this time, and that was enough to drop a Gremmy into the 13s.
AMC planned a factory Hornet S/C 401, but insurance scared em off, only used the 360.
Word is AMC's 1978 304 V8 Pacer option was based on Randall's work putting the 401 into Pacer.:cool:

#13 ·
About 1971, I got my doors blown off by a Gremlin X, the light turned green, he pulled the front wheels off the ground a few inches. I clutched, shifted into second and watched him disappear. I was driving a 64 Comet Cyclone that I thought was B/A. :pain:

#18 ·
Gremlins were cool. Lots of the bodies were used on Modified dirt and asphalt cars. As far as V-8 Vegas, they can work with front to rear clip connectors. I had a '76 Monza 2+2 which is the same as a Vega chassis. The one I had was a factory original V-8. The engine was bad and I put a '66 Vette 340 HP 327 in it. The car had full length headers with 2.5" dual exhaust to the rear bumper with Hush Thrush mufflers, big front and rear sway bars, 4 speed manual trans, front air dam, rear spoiler, frame connectors. Very light car that would go and handle. It surprised me and a lot of people. I miss that car.

#21 · (Edited)
In the 70's, in the midwest, on a quiet night, you could actually hear the cars rusting away :D

What didn't rust was made out of cheap plastic that would crack from UV damage.

Nearly every factory car built in the mid '70's was a pos as I recall. Truly a sad era in automotive history...

But that don't befund us hotrodders 'cause .... Gremlins make a great little Hot Rod

#27 ·
I bought and drove several Gremlins back in the day.. When they would die, or the door fell off. I would canniblize the dash instruments, fuse box and switches/relays, Door locks and front spindles/hubs..

Hubs make excellant trailers or tow dollies. Dash and electrics are great rod parts as were the dor latches..

There was a chevy powered one that was a regular winner at Central Michigan Dragway.

#28 ·
I bought and drove several Gremlins back in the day.. When they would die, or the door fell off. I would canniblize the dash instruments, fuse box and switches/relays, Door locks and front spindles/hubs..

Hubs make excellant trailers or tow dollies. Dash and electrics are great rod parts as were the dor latches..

There was a chevy powered one that was a regular winner at Central Michigan Dragway.
LOL...Hopefully, not the passenger side door....I used to hang them on the assembly line in the Brampton, Ont plant...72-75

I builta couple of trailers with those hubs....still pulling one of them

#32 ·
Back in the mid eighties I had owned 3 gremlins, 2 were factory 304 gremlin x's. The last one I had was a 3 speed stick with a factory 3.54 posi. Ran the car with a 360, then a 343. I have owned and abused quite a few muscle cars over the years, but I must say I had the most fun and good times in that gremlin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.