Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - To grind or not to grind? Roller Rocker Q:
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

To grind or not to grind? Roller Rocker Q:

After searching the threads I still can't find the general consensus as to whether or not grinding should be done on the roller rockers in order to clear the valve springs.

My springs have a 1.560" diameter at a 2.000" installed height. I have a set of Comp Pro Magnum Roller Rockers 1.6 on a 7/16" stud. All of this is going on in my Sportsman II heads.

Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with. Some rockers won't even slide down the studs and those that will can't even get contact between the valve tip and the roller. (i've attached pics of both situations).

So do I take material off the rockers to clear this up? (I'm worried about strength reduction with this route of course) Or do any of you have a similar setup where a different type of rocker clears the wider springs?

Thank you for your input.

FYI: I don't have pushrods yet since I can't find any height that the rockers don't hit yet. And I do need the big valve spring to be able to handle my solid roller cam.