grinder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

grinder

I am looking for a grinder. I am grinding my spring perches off and will do more with it some time. What do I need to look for size and rpm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

grinder

not a $19.00 one for sure
dewalt and black-n-decker have a great one .
it has the squeeze handle trigger .
you just have to watch the cord not to tangle up in it and snap the switch off .
them side switch ones will vibrate to the off position .
plus when you swap hands the switch is on one side , not good .
where your safety glasses and a face shield .
don't throw them sparks at your glass ,chrome ,paint ,or dirty rag pile .
and watch that loose clothing .
you have a air chisel for rivet's ,or a saws-all ?
they work good on them rivets .
Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I like my Makita. It's been seeing a lot of use regular use lately, and it's holding up quite well. For around $65, ten years later it is still worth every penny. For general use, a 4 1/2" should be fine. As far as RPM's, skip that as a checklist must-have item. Instead, look for one with the highest amperage rating. In terms dealing with electric motors, amperages equal horsepower. Hope this helps you out.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I use a Black & Decker 4-1/2"; it's either marked Professional or Industrial...it's 25 yrs old and I beat on it hard.

There are several thicknesses of cut-off wheels, plus hard grinding wheels & flap type wheels.

I've tried 4" grinders and they don't compare to a 4-1/2.

I also agree on staying away from the on-off switch type. I've had mine dig in and slip out of my hand, and mine shuts off when it does that with it's trigger switch.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM

thank's

Thanks I never thought about he trigger. 4 1/2 sounds good. Thanks for the amp also. Man I hope I don't loose a hand I like them both.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

I've got a 4 1/2 Dewalt that I've had for about ten years and have used it a lot. About a year or so after I got it the switch went out on it. I bought another switch and replaced it myself. I've put it through a lot of use and it's still going strong. It's one of the most used tools in my garage.

Danny
Old 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt olds
not a $19.00 one for sure
In contrast to burnt olds I would highly recommend the Harbor Freight 4 1/2" $16-$20 angle grinders, particularly if you are only using it sporadically. While I am a hobbyist, I still consider my shop a full production facility in that I'm fabricating more than 40 hours a week on a nearly year-round basis. I've burned up many grinders over the years, cheap AND expensive, and have found HF's "Chicago Tool" grinders (the orange ones) to be the most cost effective of the bunch when push comes to shove.

This is just my personal experience and I'm in no way saying that others are making poor recommendations.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthecomic
I am looking for a grinder. I am grinding my spring perches off and will do more with it some time. What do I need to look for size and rpm?
Tom,

I started removing my rear spring perches with a cheap grinder. I paid all of $19 for it at a rod show. After 3 rivets, it was ready for the trash pile. It burnt out on me. I ended up using the torch instead, it went MUCH FASTER! Consider using a torch to remove the rivet heads, then simply pound out the remaining shank.

As far as the replacement grinder is concerned, I decided to purchase a Milwaukee 4-1/2" model. I think that it's money well spent.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

I just can't help it I have to agree with cboy if that thing is for hobby use, or even light to medium shop use, those HF grinders are surprisingly dependable. I have one I have used for over 5 years now, and I mean I have used it, and it has held up quite well. The thing about it is there have been several posts here where the HF grinder has received not only good reviews but they have been rated quite highly by those who have owned them and unless I have missed something I don't think anyone has complained about them. If you are looking for top-notch dependability where the grinder will be in use everyday and job profit might depend on your tools then go with the best but don't rule out the HF grinder because it is cheap, those things do hold up quite well.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
In contrast to burnt olds I would highly recommend the Harbor Freight 4 1/2" $16-$20 angle grinders, particularly if you are only using it sporadically. While I am a hobbyist, I still consider my shop a full production facility in that I'm fabricating more than 40 hours a week on a nearly year-round basis. I've burned up many grinders over the years, cheap AND expensive, and have found HF's "Chicago Tool" grinders (the orange ones) to be the most cost effective of the bunch when push comes to shove.

This is just my personal experience and I'm in no way saying that others are making poor recommendations.
X2 I have one of their 4 1/2 angle grinders too,Had it for over a year,still runs like new,and its on its first set of brushes I like the fact that they include extra brushes with them and make them easy to change,I wonder howmany grinders have been tossed dueto bad brushes/

Shane
Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I use my Dewalt 4.5'' more then any tool!!!great little grinder.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.