Ground Wire Getting hot when trying to start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Ground Wire Getting hot when trying to start

Ok here goes i have a 1983 chevy malibu that i installed an old style intake manifold on for a small block circa 60's 283. The HEI distributor i have wouldn't work so i bought a points distributor. I got rid of all the computer wires and just ran the pink ignition wire to the ballast resistor i bought. I checked for 12 volts to the coil wire. I have that, and spark to the plugs. I think the car wants to run but the ground wire from the block to the fire wall is getting wicked hot like there is a dead short but i get spark so that seems weird to me. I am running an old carter electric choke carb no emissions junk on it and just that one lonely wire to the ballast resistor and then the other side to the positive coil. Little black wire from the points to the negative on the coil and that is it i haven't messed around with anything else from the stock 305 wiring mess. Any ideas on where to trouble shoot this? Maybe some of those extra ecm wires are needed for grounding? I dunno but i am knee deep in a giant crap pile LOL. Thanks a bunch guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Last photo:

What gage is the ground wire?

Do you have a ground strap from the engine to the frame?

Vince
Old 08-07-2004, 09:41 PM

hmnmm

I would go with either a bad ground corrosion or to small of wire. I have seen on race cars that didn't hace enough ground that it would ground through the brake lines and make them very hot as the main ground went straight to the body. I would make sure you have good conections.
Jesse
Old 08-08-2004, 06:59 AM

Hmmm that's a good idea the ground from the motor to the frame? I have all the stock grounds and i think they don't have that wire. The gauge is pretty small for braided grounds. I did try doubling that wire up and the ground wire from the battery to the fender started burning. I think the current is always going to find the path of least resistance. Um i will keep hunting. Thanks guys hope you have some more ideas.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

You might try taking a set of jumper cables and useing only the ground wire and attach one ground to the block and the other to the negitive side of the battery.This will give you a real quick way to make sure you have a good ground.Honda passports had a ground problem ,and the small ground wires going to the block would actually melt.I used the battery cable trick to quickly trouble shoot.They later came out with an updated negitive battery cable.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I did set-off your alarm

i had something similar happen but it went pretty bad, it melted my battery post, i had a hot wire grounding out, i would check your positive wire and see if it's grounding out anywhere!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Ground

[color=yellow][size=2]Doc Here

Go to the parts store and get a few ground cables about 3 feet long with ring terminals on each end.

Run one from the block to the frame, the other from the frame to the battery ,
(if you have bolt on battery terminals where the wire goes into the post, after-market type, cut and strip one end and slide it under the post hold down.)

If not ground it to the bolt on the frame where the Battery ground cable grounds.

use a grinder or sandpaper to burnish the frame around the ground cable and attach a star washer.

Hope it helps

Doc
[/color][/size]
Old 08-13-2004, 06:06 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The best way to ensure a good ground for starting a Chevy is to run a 0, 1 or 2 (depending on length) ground wire from the battery to one of the starter mount bolts. Make sure the battery terminals are clean. Also, make sure the Positive terminal at the starter is clean and secured. Any other grounds from block to frame and body are for lights and accessories. Never use the frame to carry the ground load for starting.

Trees
Old 08-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Ground

Quote:
Originally posted by trees
The best way to ensure a good ground for starting a Chevy is to run a 0, 1 or 2 (depending on length) ground wire from the battery to one of the starter mount bolts. Make sure the battery terminals are clean. Also, make sure the Positive terminal at the starter is clean and secured. Any other grounds from block to frame and body are for lights and accessories. Never use the frame to carry the ground load for starting.

Trees

Sorry if I wasn't Clear in the post, but what I meant to say, the ground wire going to the frame will bolt with the wire going to the block ground (essentially the same wire except for 2 ring terminals and a bolt on the frame or you could do it the other way around, using the block then on to the frame) Sorry about the confusion.

Doc
[/color][/size]
Old 08-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Why not just run 1 or 2 of the braided ground straps from the back of the block to the firewall like they always did?

Kevin
Old 08-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Ground

That's OK too and it helps with cutting RFI, ( I run a lot of Transmitter Equipment with high current draws in Transmit mode)but I just like a nice Heavy Frame ground in addition To the pigtails. I have had less intermittent lighting & Acc. Problems that way.

Just my preference I guess!

Doc
[/color][/size]

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.