Grundy Classic Car Insurance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 PM
64Joker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Grundy Classic Car Insurance

Can I get some feedback on "Grundy Classic Car Insurance"?
I'm currently insuring my 1964 Impala SS through my State Farm, but a few friends recommended switching to "Grundy"!

Any comments are welcomed!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM

Grundy

I have it an it's fine for me. Thank God I haven't had to use it.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Grundy wouldn't insure my classic but hagerty did work me they simply wanted to make sure i had a daily driver under my name i was 23 when they insured me im 24 now. its something to look into if you have a younger then 25 in your home thats wants to take a spin in the car
Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

No hassel and reasonably priced. They send a bill, you pay and you wont be hearing from them for a year unless you have a claim. No restrictions on driving or mileage though they suggest that you not use the car as a DD. You declare a value, supply a cople of pictures and that's it. My '31 is declared at $50K and the cost in NY State is about $250. State Farm HQ is about 5 miles from me - I don't know a single person that uses them for their 'collector' car. In fact, I don't know anyone that uses them locally for any vehicle
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Do you have declared value coverage with State Farm? If not you own a 300 dollar car in their adjusters eyes. At least with declared value like Grundy or Hagerty have it covers what your car is really worth if you need it. And likely costs a lot less.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

No matter who you choose for inusrance, I hope you never have to use it. I can't speak for Grundy because I don't know anyone who has dealt with them. I can say that Hagerty did pay a claim on a 57 bel-air that a local shop restored a few years ago. The owner was rear ended after the restore, and they paid in the neighborhood of $40,000 to get both rear quarters, trunk lid, trunk floor, rear bumper, tail lights and quarter trim replaced, AND paid for a complete repaint on the car. I don't know if that was an everyday thing for them or just an above average experience, but the owner was/is very satisfied with them.

Kelly
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I've been with Grundy for 15+ years. No claims. Reasonable rates on my cars. I have no cars insured over 10k $

About 7-8 yrs ago, I had a car with mag wheels, a few hp parts.. The gal on the phone said all cars had to be stock condition or restored cars. My car was considered a hotrod.

I told the gal she had better talk to Jim Grundy (owner of Grundy) because he was on TV shows advertising and talking about insuring hotrods now.

A few days later I had insurance on the car thru Grundy.

I've had friends with Hagerty Ins.. they have been happy
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

I have used Hagerty for many years. Have had some minor claims and they came thru. Settled very reasonably and quickly.

Even tho I have my d-drivers and home insured thru State Farm. They will not cover any of my modified cars or my privately owned ramp/car hauler truck.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

They work for me 27 t @12K $173 for the year. 1966 Eldorado @36K $298 and i do have 2 other. over 20 years with them. no problems no hassle. and never asked miles this miles that!! also any classic or hot rod insurer expects you to have a DD driver!! and also any driver under 25 is a risk!!

Last edited by killeratrod; 09-26-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Last photo:

I have had Grundy since I started to build my car. Grundy was the ONLY insurance agency that would insure a car under construction. State Farm whom I had my home and other autos insured with would not cover it being constructed in my garage. I argued that it was a car and they should insure it. They said since it was not regesterd yet technically it was not a car. I said I have a riding lawn mower in my garage and if my garage burns down you will cover that riding lawn mower right....yes but not a car under construction in the garage. Just this month I filed a claim with Grundy over a rock thrown up by an aproaching car that struck my hood. Grundy sent out an appraiser then I get a claim explanation with a check for $1200. No question of who if anyone is going to fix it, no request for pictures after is is fixed either. I have materials left over from building the car so it is not going to cost me anything but labor to fix the hood. See my last photo picture above.

Vince
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

We just went with them on my 38 chevy. They were easy to deal with we the value sent a picture and filled out the papers mailed a check and had a card on it's way. Allstate would only do it for the book value which was nothing.

Great site y'all have here by the way..... this is my first post.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
No matter who you choose for inusrance, I hope you never have to use it. I can't speak for Grundy because I don't know anyone who has dealt with them. I can say that Hagerty did pay a claim on a 57 bel-air that a local shop restored a few years ago. The owner was rear ended after the restore, and they paid in the neighborhood of $40,000 to get both rear quarters, trunk lid, trunk floor, rear bumper, tail lights and quarter trim replaced, AND paid for a complete repaint on the car. I don't know if that was an everyday thing for them or just an above average experience, but the owner was/is very satisfied with them.

Kelly
I don't think that story applies, as the one that rearended the 57 insurance is footing the bill, hagerty only payed and then fought with the other car owners insurance co. to get payed back..
I've had both, and never needed to use it, no claims..
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

I've been with Grundy for 10 years, no claims. 1st insured was my '68 GTO that has since been sold. They had me take a few pix and that was it. Agreed value and I was set. With my new car, '34 3 window, they didn't want any pix. I told them it was 'glass, it didn't matter. Told them what I wanted to insure it for and when I got the bill they insured it for $5/$6k more. Fine by me..........

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.