GT 40 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GT 40 heads

What years and vehicles came with GT40 SBF (5.0) heads and intakes? I would like to look in some salvage yards to find some if i decide to keep my truck. I find plenty of them on eBay and craigslist but it seems they are worth more sold separately than a whole engine is. My truck is an 87 F-150.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I found one pair of the desirable iron GT40P for $50 and still kick my butt for not buying. Most since have been in the $100-300 range/pair. You do need to be careful which GT40 heads you buy as some of the aluminum versions aren't as good as the iron GT40P - which come from the '97-'01 Explorers
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

The GT40P is a good head for a stocker,the down side is the spark plug location gives people fits with most brands of headers which makes the GT-40 a better choice,this is a good source to track them down: Search Craigslist: Free Craigslist Search Engine to search ALL Craigslist going rate is $200-$350 a pair.This site is a good place to check out classifieds The Corral a lot of guys here are upgrading heads and selling to fund their project also SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech - Index is another site to watch.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. If the GT40Ps are in the 97-01 explorers, where do i find the GT40's (without the P on the end)? Sounds like i might not want the GT40P's if i am going to have problems with the spark plugs hitting the exhaust manifolds/headers. Currently I have manifolds still and since i am working on a budget i might have to run manifolds for a while. It sounds like the plugs on the GT40P might be in the way of the manifolds.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454 View Post
What years and vehicles came with GT40 SBF (5.0) heads and intakes? I would like to look in some salvage yards to find some if i decide to keep my truck. I find plenty of them on eBay and craigslist but it seems they are worth more sold separately than a whole engine is. My truck is an 87 F-150.
I had a set of gt40 heads back in the day they were aftermarket heads from ford. they did not come on any ford i have seen. You got to buy them new bac then. not sure if they have a new flavor that is put onto prodcution vehicles.

They are almost the same as stock castings but did not have exhuast bumps and other bad issues the stock heads had. But ported stock vs none ported egr stocks will win if done right. I usally had dont a lot of port work and the gt40 heads lost power over the stock reworked heads i had at the time.

Now after some port work they got a little better than the what i had but never really great. Best to buy trick flows now and be done with it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

These are the GT40P iron heads. You can see that plug placement can be a problem even with the Sanderson Headers, though only one gives me a fit. This is NOT anywhere close to a stock engine but not an all out HIPO and they are well suited for my use.

Do your homework and be aware that some versions of TFS heads are a poor choice for a stock engine or those without correct pistons for those heads. Also, some versions of Ford GT40 aluminum heads were used in some early '90's high performance Mustangs - and are not really a very good head when compared to most of the name brand after market independent offerings or even the iron GT40P.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454 View Post
The GT40 head is worthy of a book. Basically it comes in two versions GT40 and GT40P.

The P is a much improved version but because of the spark plug reloacation has serious clearance problems with headers. Still no pain no gain, if you're after serious power the GT40P is the head to get.

The GT40 head can be found on some 5.0 93 through 95 Mustangs and Lightning pickups and later on 96 into 97 Explorer's and Mountaineers. These have a larger 65 cc chamber. On the outside there will (or at least should ) be 3 cast in lines on the end of the head for a first clue as to what you're looking at. GT40P will (should/might) have 4 lines. Regular production 302 heads will not have any of these.

The GT40P should show up starting in 97 through 2001 Explorers and Mountaineers for sure and perhaps some pickups. The GT40P uses a smaller chamber of 60ccs. The GT40P relocates the spark plug and cleans up the exhaust port

The GT40P is a really nice piece and delivers power to the SBF the way the L31 Vortec does to the SBC, but because of the spark plug location the P head can be a real PIA in some installations with the exhaust tubes.

Bogie
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

I assume that since you are thinking used,you have a limited budget to work with by the time you pay a machine shop to freshen up the GT-40's (call and get some estimates) you could just save up a little more and go this route:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-302-351W...0ab883&vxp=mtr
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
The GT40 head is worthy of a book. Basically it comes in two versions GT40 and GT40P.

The P is a much improved version but because of the spark plug reloacation has serious clearance problems with headers. Still no pain no gain, if you're after serious power the GT40P is the head to get.

The GT40 head can be found on some 5.0 93 through 95 Mustangs and Lightning pickups and later on 96 into 97 Explorer's and Mountaineers. These have a larger 65 cc chamber. On the outside there will (or at least should ) be 3 cast in lines on the end of the head for a first clue as to what you're looking at. GT40P will (should/might) have 4 lines. Regular production 302 heads will not have any of these.

The GT40P should show up starting in 97 through 2001 Explorers and Mountaineers for sure and perhaps some pickups. The GT40P uses a smaller chamber of 60ccs. The GT40P relocates the spark plug and cleans up the exhaust port

The GT40P is a really nice piece and delivers power to the SBF the way the L31 Vortec does to the SBC, but because of the spark plug location the P head can be a real PIA in some installations with the exhaust tubes.

Bogie
I didnt know they came on explorers. I thought they were only on the saleen mustangs. I know i was buying stock heads from saleen because they would replace the stock castings with new performance gt-40 heads from ford. I didnt know of any car/truck that came from ford with gt-40 heads. I got mine from ford in a white box with ford racing on it. My contact at saleen hooked me up since they were hard to get in 87-88 when i had a gt.

Good info bogie.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Helpful link here: Five.Oh Info : The Ultimate Ford GT40 and GT40P Cylinder Head FAQ

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.