Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   GTO fomoco 3 speed manual transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/gto-fomoco-3-speed-manual-transmission-162776.html)

bighotroddin 08-04-2009 03:55 AM

GTO fomoco 3 speed manual transmission

I a looking into the option of buying one and using it behind a SBC just wondering if a stock chevy bellhousing will bolt up and if any Hurst 3 speed manual shifter will work? Is the clutch used a standard GM 10 spline?

joe_padavano 08-04-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighotroddin
I a looking into the option of buying one and using it behind a SBC just wondering if a stock chevy bellhousing will bolt up and if any Hurst 3 speed manual shifter will work? Is the clutch used a standard GM 10 spline?

The trans to bellhousing bolt pattern is different from the Muncie/Saginaw pattern. The BOP bellhousings in these cars came with both bolt patterns tapped.

ericnova72 08-04-2009 01:51 PM

The trans to bellhousing bolt pattern is different, the front bearing retainer that pilots into the large bore hole of the bell housing is different size(too big IIRC), the input shaft is too long, and I believe the input shaft is 1/16" smaller but still 10 splines. It isn't an easy adaptation without the Lakewood bellhousing for a ford trans to chevy/BOP engine. The shifter will work with the correct linkage package and the correct trans mount plate.

38mike 08-04-2009 02:28 PM

color me curious

I am NOT slamming ya...I'm just very curious. If I read your shorthand right, you are looking to use a Ford tranny behind a Chevy motor in a Pontiac?? If so, I have to ask why? Again, I'm not being critical...I am just really interested why such a complicated mish-mash? (Actually, the SBC can make sense...I guess I only wonder about the FOMOCO tranny) :)

bighotroddin 08-04-2009 05:51 PM

I am actually building a 27 T roadster with a 283 Chevy. For some reason I have my heart set on a manual 3 speed I guess for nostalgia reasons. From the guys I have taked to said that I would not be happy with a Saginaw as they don't take much abuse. I only want to build this thing once as it is mostly kustom anyway. Thats were some internet reading got me onto the FOMOCO trans that was used in the GTO's beacuse the transmissions that GM had at the time didn't hold up. I know it probley was going to be more money but I was going to buy a scattershield anyway.

junior stocker 08-04-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighotroddin
I am actually building a 27 T roadster with a 283 Chevy. For some reason I have my heart set on a manual 3 speed I guess for nostalgia reasons. From the guys I have taked to said that I would not be happy with a Saginaw as they don't take much abuse. I only want to build this thing once as it is mostly kustom anyway. Thats were some internet reading got me onto the FOMOCO trans that was used in the GTO's beacuse the transmissions that GM had at the time didn't hold up. I know it probley was going to be more money but I was going to buy a scattershield anyway.

In your case, small CID and lightweight car, a 3-speed Saginaw is just fine. NOT the early Muncie 55-65 3-speed that for some reason gets called a "Saginaw". The full synchro 3-speed Saginaw will be more than adequate. OR, you could get lucky and find a 69-70 full synchro MUNCIE 3-speed; those are stronger. As far as the Ford Dearborn 3-speed goes, if the OP of this thread has it, and the required parts to put it all together, fine, otherwise pass on it.

ericnova72 08-04-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior stocker
In your case, small CID and lightweight car, a 3-speed Saginaw is just fine. NOT the early Muncie 55-65 3-speed that for some reason gets called a "Saginaw". The full synchro 3-speed Saginaw will be more than adequate. OR, you could get lucky and find a 69-70 full synchro MUNCIE 3-speed; those are stronger. As far as the Ford Dearborn 3-speed goes, if the OP of this thread has it, and the required parts to put it all together, fine, otherwise pass on it.

x 2. In something that light the Sag will live forever. Good luck trying to find the "special" GTO three speed, it was only used a year or two, and most people bought 4-speeds or automatics. It's pretty rare.

joe_padavano 08-04-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnova72
The trans to bellhousing bolt pattern is different, the front bearing retainer that pilots into the large bore hole of the bell housing is different size(too big IIRC), the input shaft is too long, and I believe the input shaft is 1/16" smaller but still 10 splines. It isn't an easy adaptation without the Lakewood bellhousing for a ford trans to chevy/BOP engine. The shifter will work with the correct linkage package and the correct trans mount plate.

I don't believe that is correct. The "Dearborn" (don't call it a "Ford" ;) ) trans was the base transmission in the Olds 442 for many years. The same bellhousing was used for both the Dearborn three speed and the Muncie four speed. This bellhousing has both the Muncie and Ford bolt patterns for the trans. The bearing retainer diameter was the same for both. The input shaft length was the same for both. I'm pretty sure that the clutch disk was the same for both. Note that the Toploaders used in these GM applications are NOT the same as those used in Ford applications.

ericnova72 08-04-2009 06:47 PM

Joe is correct, if you can find the GM version of the trans and that "special" GM bellhousing. I was thinking of the adaptation of the Ford versions 3 and 4-speed.

bighotroddin 08-04-2009 10:11 PM

I bought one off Ebay tonight and with shipping am into it for $260. According to the casting number it is out of a 69 GTO. No bell housing or shifter but has the yoke so I will have to wait untill I get it in order to find out if it will interchange with regular GM parts.