gto independent rear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gto independent rear

Does anyone have any information or knowledge of installing a late model GTO independent rear into a 54 Chevy?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Well..........DOC.....

as a Moderator here, I would like to WELCOME
you here...

I have been watching this thread........and I guess that the new GTO rears are so new and in limited supply....that no one has done one yet.

I did a Corvette IRS years ago......now I just use the old standby...a 9 inch Ford

DEUCE....
Old 12-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

gto independent rear

Thanks for the reply, I just found out that the rear has anti lock brakes and traffic control. I guess traffic control is some kind of traction control. I was hoping it had niether, so I guess this just complicates things. How was it putting in the corvette suspension?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

For me the Corvette IRS was fairly simple......I did it to a 56 Ford F-100....pickup. I took the bed off.....so everything was easy to see, get to and make work.

With the body on a car .....it would be a LOT tougher.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

gto independent rear

Actually I have the body of the frame and plan on cutting some of the floor out so when I do mount the body I can access the rear. I'm concerned now about computer controlled things.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Freeze
Thanks for the reply, I just found out that the rear has anti lock brakes and traffic control. I guess traffic control is some kind of traction control. I was hoping it had niether, so I guess this just complicates things. How was it putting in the corvette suspension?
well the antilock potion of the design will be housed in the engine compartment, its usualy a large aluminium block with all the brake lines running in and out, so thats nothing to worry about ...

the traction control isnt much different, the gto uses engine control (cuts throttle, spark and fuel to reduce power) and then applies the brake to any wheel thats still not in check

by swapping the rear end, you eliminating both these systems, the only thing left would be the speed sensors that are located on the inner cv joints on the axle

in all reality, plenty of the corvette suspension swaps hotrodders have done came from cars that were originaly antilock, and sometimes even traction controlled cars, and its never effected anything , besides some guys not liking the look of the vehical speed sensor cog

from what i can gather, the GTO uses a rear cradle that holds most, if not al of the rear suspension components. this means that if you do that swap, you dont have to figure EVERYTHING out from scratch, most (if not all) of the parts will already be held in alingment to each other, and all you have to do is make your frame accept the assem,bly with a few crosmemebers and tabs

as an example, the newer mustang cobras with the irs, all the IRS components are on a cradle, and you could set up a corba and a 97 v6 mustang on lifts, gut the straight axle from the V6, and bolt the IRS right into it using the mounting points for the straight axle

RETRACTION, the corba irs is on its own cradle that will mount to the v6's frame, but it doesnt use the straight axle mounts, a friend of mine was nice enough to correct me, as he did the swap and cut the straight axle mounts off the frame afterwards .... a view of the complete cobra irs can be seen HERE

if the GTO IRS is on a fully contained cradle, you basicly just have to figure out how high to mount it for poper ride height, then build mounting points to hold it. mounting points could be anywhere tho

best bet is to either get on one of the GTO forums and see if someone is willing to take a bunch of pics of their IRS on a lift or such, or hit up the local poncho dealer and se if they have a gto in the show room

dress nice, act interested in buying a GTO, and crawl around underneith it

just try not to look like your casing the joint

Last edited by lowROLLERchevy; 12-31-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:37 AM

this just in from gtoforum.com

A vette has irs but no wheelhop.
A cobra has irs but no wheelhop.
a jaguar has irs but no wheelhop.
a GTO has irs and hops like a bunny.

the gto was designed for autocrossing, and straight line launching causes pretty good whel hope

and an online artical i found mentioned the GTO likes to swing the back end side to side when launching, trying to "find traction"

so if your going to be driving hard, or have a decent amount of HP on tap, the gto rear suspension might not be the best bet, if its just a crusier and you can get one, then it could be a batter bet then getting some other IRS that has like 90k miles on it already
Old 12-31-2005, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

gto independent rear

Hey thanks for all the good info! So correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is I can simply bypass all the traction control and anti lock brake stuff. As far as the wheel hop goes, that something I'll have to consider. I plan on putting a 350 zz motor with injection, and running it through a tremec 5 speed. I'm not planning on racing the car or anything, so I think I should be good there. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Freeze
Hey thanks for all the good info! So correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is I can simply bypass all the traction control and anti lock brake stuff. As far as the wheel hop goes, that something I'll have to consider. I plan on putting a 350 zz motor with injection, and running it through a tremec 5 speed. I'm not planning on racing the car or anything, so I think I should be good there. Thanks again.
you dont even have to bypass it, since the unit that actualy does the antilock function is under the hood, you just leave it on the donar vehical and forget about it

just run brake lines to the rear calipers as if you installed a ford 9 inch rear end or such

tho ONLY thing thats on the rear end thats realy antilock or traction control related is the speed sensor, if you look at the above link of the ford cobra suspension, youll see the 2 speed sensor cogs, one on each drive shaft nearest the center section

just pull the sensor out, and put them in the pile of unused parts, they wont have a computer to report to anymore anyways

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Air Ride | yoauto »