Guess the cause of my carburetor flooding! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Guess the cause of my carburetor flooding!

I was'nt gonna mention this to you guys as I'm quite embarrassed over this. However, I realize that someone might benefit from my mistake one day. I mentioned a while ago that my freshly rebuilt and fitted Holley 600 v/s would at random cause the engine to cut out when idling say, at the lights, and would require foot the floor starting to clear the engine of raw fuel. It would mostly do it once it got hot, but sometimes would be even during warm up. Of course I played with the float levels, mainly trying to keep the level 1/8" below the site hole. I first thought the carb's getting too hot so I made a plywood spacer to try to keep it cool. Did'nt fix it. I fitted insulating rubber foam tubing to the fuel hoses to keep the fuel cool. No go. I fitted the center hung fuel bowls from my 750 as it never flooded. No go. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump as it was leaking oil and the pressure seemed a bit high at 7psi. No go. I noticed it was always from the primaries that were flooding where they would dribble fuel from the venturis. Funny thing was that the float bowl was near empty by the time it finished flooding. But the carb would keep its fuel full if left over night and would start with no probs the next day. The intake's an E/brock EPS manifold that I fitted without the exhaust passages blocked. The carb I got was from ebay and was supposed to be in good nick. But turned out to be in poor condition and required extensive rebuilding by myself to bring it up to an acceptable level. It also looked like it had been tampered with a few times by amateurs. I finally found the cause of the problem which should have been picked up straight away! Can anyone guess what was the cause of the flooding?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

had a crack in float
Old 08-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Needle was in upside down?

Bowl gasket on wrong not giving any "bowl venting" and getting hot and pushing the gas out the nozzles?

If we guess correctly, do we win something? LOL

Mark
Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Power valve related...? Loose or no gasket...?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:36 AM

Last photo:

You guys are'nt even close! If I'm in a good mood I mite send out an Aussie souvenir like a freaking boomerang. Catch is, it'll have to come back.............. boomerang....................come back................get it? I'll give you guys a clue. If I dove the car without an aircleaner assembly then there would never have been a problem. I'll give you guys an answer soon if no one's guessed it. Bye for now, Rob.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:39 AM

Last photo:

Actually, Jmark was fairly close ( I re-read the posts)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

Did the air cleaner base when installed interfere with the choke linkage causing the choke to hang up or stay closed?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 AM

Last photo:

Did the aircleaner assembly contact the bowl vent tubes sealing them off? Maybe a vent tube whistle was installed incorrectly causing the float to hit it and not travel up far enough to close the needle? You weren't running a fuel filter or the old one isn't doing it's job and trash is entering the fuel bowl?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Didn't we already guess at the problem while talking in the first post?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I second the float vents being capped off by the air cleaner and the fuel venting through the body itslef.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

I really would like a boomerang!

Piece of air filter material got sucked into the bowl vent? Then went into the bowl and into the needle and seat?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Well done to those who guessed there was a ventilation problem, and more specifically, the vent tubes being blocked by the air cleaner lid. The carb I got had air vent tubes of the same long length instead of one long and one short, which I thought was unusual but accepted as being normal for that model. But of course the primary tube was now sitting quite high as the primary choke tower sits much higher than the secondary tower and was interfering with the way lid was sitting slightly. It caused the lid to once loose tension to the point where the wing nut fell off onto the road. So I made sure the new wing nut was a lot tighter which is when the problems of flooding began. Stupid! Yeah it left tell tale marks on the underside of the lid so I cut the tube down to the same height as the secondary tube. What I never knew was that if a carb is warm then the fuel would be forced out of the main metering jets the very second the vent tube is blocked (eg, with a finger) due to the volatile nature of warm gasoline causing pressure build up. As I said, this is embarrassing but I'll just have to put it down to experience and hope no-one else will now have the same problem.
Now I'm gonna have to buy a boomerang for the winner/s, made in China of course!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.