Guide Plates - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Guide Plates

I have 2 sets of different style guide plates. I don't know what to run.. The raised style of flat?? I will be running a flat tappet cam with 555 lift, do I really need them? Here's s pic to compare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-042s.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	118  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

What are we working on here?

Untill we know more details then it's hard to say with any kind of certainty

Although, just guessing here, it won't make much difference to ya.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:08 AM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

Going in my 70 Chevelle project I just got. The motor is a 350 LT1 out of a 92 Z28: 0.030 over, 12.5:1's, Comp solid Magnum 555 lift cam, 492 heads, angle plugs, 64cc, 2.02's, "race port", Harland sharp roller rockers, Hooker super comp headers, Victor Jr, 750 Holley Double pumper. Car gonna be used street/strip car it will only be drove to local cruise in's and just around town so I can idle around and turn some heada with my thumpin cam, 3" exhaust and Flowmasters!! I already have big plans on the project I'm just getting started on and the car neede basically everything and I don't really want to rush (only want to do it once and be done) Hopefully it will atleast be running in a couple years and complete in 3years?? Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

The offset design was to give a little less pushrod deflection at higher rpm because of being closer to the end going into the rocker arm... It might be of some benifit at 7000 rpm+...? The reg. flat style has been used for years but as engines began to rev higher and higher small changes came about... For street strip setup I would use the flats but if it rev it pretty tight then the offset would be the choice...
Old 07-26-2003, 08:06 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Wow, That`s certainly not the everyday street engine. It will take $6.00 a gal. race fuel to run a 12.5:1 with 555 lift. what trans are you using? And what kind of gears? Keep us posted.
Three years is a long time, Don`t lose interest. Good Luck.

Troy,
Old 07-26-2003, 01:00 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

Yes it will cost a lot to run the thing.. It cost a lot to go fast period, I don't care. Here in IL we have Cam 2 fuel which is leaded and 110 octane it's like $4.00 gal and Turbo Blue I think it's 108 it's not leaded, my buddys who run 14:1+ say both are not very good gas and sware by Sunoco fuels. I have it all planed out, I'm going to live at home the rest of my life!! I think I will run the flat style guide plates becasue the raised might bind with the pushrods with my fairly hight lift cam. Hey check out my website I put some stuff about my Chevelle on there: My Website
Old 07-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

14:1+??????????????????????on the street???????????
Old 07-26-2003, 10:37 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

Yes Denny drives his around town all the time.. He re-ringed it for the first time in 3 years last week. It seems pretty reliable, he can cruise the streets and drive to the 1/8th mile track run 6.60's and drive home. He and another guy have the same motors in different cars and I helped them build em, they are 434 strokers. It's a Dart 400 SBC with some custom crank that was very expensive, I think Denny said he invested 9K in just the motor.

Myns gonna be right around 12.5:1.. Pistons are rated at 12:1 but once I use the thin gaskets and have them re-surfaced it might be 12:5. My car is not gonna be street-able I'll just idle around town and do all of my stupid stuff on country roads, I think myn will be either idling or balls to the walls.. Like my house, there isn't a house in a 2 mile radius around it, I love it. Street racing is not my thing at all. I think I will have one of the fastest cars around that's driving on the street (not like those 434's!!), to me it's not worth the ticket when I know I could waste them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.